: Renewing Aluminum Rims

Cadattack
04-10-04, 03:44 PM
Hi, I have an 89 Deville with Aluminum Rims. The rims are in great shape except that there is a plastic coating that is chipping off them that doesn't make them look as great as they could.

I'm wondering, does anyone know how to safely remove this plastic coating so that I can polish these rims? Also, after they are cleaned up, can these rims be protected with a clear coat/spray laquer or something else?

I am tempted to try some chemicals to see If I can get this plastic to peel, but I a little hesitant that I will tarnish the aluminum.

Thanks,

Jim

hcvone
04-10-04, 07:18 PM
That is the clear coat peeling away, the best way is to get them recleared by a company that does that like www.wheelcollision.com

Biggary
07-11-04, 11:17 PM
I bought a set of Touring sedan wheels off of EBAY for my 1993 Deville. When I got them they had a milky/hazy look to the clear coat. Professional recoating would have been very expensive. So I talked to a couple of paint guys who recommend regular paint remover, to remove the clear coat. since these wheels have a large flat center surface, I was able to piant it on with brush. I then used a synthetic scouring pad (wear rubber gloves) to remove the residue. Working with the natural metal finishing pattern (concentric circles) will reduce the amount of time needed to get the right "pattern" back into the metal. I then used Duplicolor, clear wheel paint. They turned out wonderfully for about $20 for a set of 4 wheels.

Msilva954
07-12-04, 10:19 AM
Any Close up pics....Id like to see the outcome.