: I found my leak, now i need help

myboneyard
07-11-07, 10:02 AM
i have a crack in my coolant resv. tank , i was wondering if there was something i could purchase to seal this like some type of glue that would not crack under heat , or if not is there somewhere to purchase a used tank ,i dont want to spend the $235.00 to replace it with a new one (P&l)
thanks in advance (ranger to the rescue please)

jsw5620
07-11-07, 10:12 AM
When I bought the one for my 97 STS, it wasn't but around $75 new.

clarkz71
07-11-07, 10:12 AM
Don't try to repair it, the surge tanks is under a lot of pressure.
If you can find a good used one, that's ok. But I would recommend
a new one from GMparts direct or one of the other online dealers.

http://www.gmotors.com/

I checked with GMPD, that surge tank is $65 with shipping.

Ranger
07-11-07, 06:26 PM
JB Weld might work if it's done right, but I agree Clark, I'd replace it.

Raze
07-11-07, 07:52 PM
darn it ranger you beat me to the magic glue :) but yeah I'd prolly just replace it since you coolant system is no longer holding the proper pressure which can over-stress/damage other coolant parts which can in turn lead to dare I say the dreaded 'HG' word :)

myboneyard
07-14-07, 06:45 AM
Thanks guys, the leak is a small crack right at the point where the neck starts from the coolant tank , right below the cap

Ranger
07-14-07, 04:51 PM
That might be a good place to try JB Weld. I had a very small hairline crack at the base of the purge line nipple on my '97. JB Weld saved it. If you try it, scuff it up good with sand paper, clean it good and let is set for 24 hours. You might need a little rope caulk to build a damn to keep the JB Weld from running till it sets up.

DISCLAIMER: This is not a factory recommended or proper repair.

blb
07-17-07, 01:17 PM
This is a $5.00 salvage yard item. Not worth the time trying to do what will probably be a temporary repair. Remember, these are under 16 pounds per square inch of pressure at operating temperature. There are plenty of Northstars in the junkyard with blown headgaskets that have many salvageable parts left.

Mountie
07-17-07, 08:29 PM
There is a plastic weld material ( like JB) that works well, if you have a budget.