: Hood Ornaments & Shady Practices

Cadillac_Fan
07-11-07, 09:58 AM
I find it hard to buy the story on this lot of Cadillac hood ornaments offered on the 'Bay... Wish there was a creative way to prevent hood ornament theft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Lot-of-4-Cadillac-Hood-Ornaments_W0QQitemZ190129132331QQihZ009QQcategoryZ 33757QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Link didn't post. Oh well. The seller stated they were all from Cadillacs wrecked by his brother. Hmmm.

97candylacdevil
07-11-07, 10:19 AM
electricly charged hoodie, (tazer-lac)? Just an idea lol

Cadillac_Fan
07-11-07, 02:32 PM
"Tazer-Lacİ" - you should trademark that one! I would buy an electrified hood ornament. Also, if there were a way to make them hot to touch, it would likely brand the thief with a permanent crest/wreath in his hand.

By the way, I found the listing to be sketchy; if all were hood ornaments removed from the Caddies his brother wrecked (four in total), why wouldn't he have removed them with the base and mounting hardware intact? Plus, if he wrecked one Cadillac already, why would he go through and wreck three more? Hate to pay his insurance premium, that is if the story is true. Too suspect.

Highway Star
07-11-07, 10:42 PM
Yeah, the brother sounds like a real winner... :bigroll:

Can't imagine why anyone would waste money on these as they're all incomplete.

Rolex
07-14-07, 02:45 PM
95% feedback score with a history of slow shipping and NO shipping items. I wouldn't bid on them b/c of that alone. YMMV

Benzilla
07-17-07, 04:21 PM
Cadillac made a hood ornament in the early '90s that was hooked up to the horn, so if it was pulled of moved, you'd know about it.

gdwriter
07-17-07, 11:32 PM
Cadillac made a hood ornament in the early '90s that was hooked up to the horn, so if it was pulled of moved, you'd know about it.I thought it was a dealer installed option. At any rate, my car has it. Even better with the trumpet horn:

nuHIjVTdotI

Benzilla
07-18-07, 03:27 PM
It might be a dealer add on, I'm really not sure. Either way I'd love to have one.

Great vid, I love that car. What software do you use to edit your videos?

Mountie
07-23-07, 08:28 PM
I don't have that problem....I have an STS

creeker
07-29-07, 11:29 PM
Cadillac made a hood ornament in the early '90s that was hooked up to the horn, so if it was pulled of moved, you'd know about it.

My 92 base eldo had the horn connected to hood emblem.

Red_October_7000
07-31-07, 02:17 AM
Several years ago when I first got my Corvette I bought a Cadillac radio for it (its radio was inop.). The Cadillac radio's tape deck was also inoperative, so I posted on a Cadillac forums (maybe here? Perhaps that's why the name "Red October" is taken?) about it. At the same time on that forums there was a thread about this, wherein it was suggested, somewhat in jest, to shatter a razor blade with a claw hammer and use metal epoxy to bond the resulting fragments to the crest in line with the leaves, so that whosoever grabs it casually but firmly has a VERY unpleasant surprise!

z06bigbird
07-31-07, 08:25 AM
I didn't know that Caddy put a diesel in the 91 SDV. Listen to that thing 'roar.'

EcSTSatic
08-09-07, 08:15 AM
IMO the horn would get ignored just like thousands of others that go off for no reason. Too many false alarms every day.

Some SOB stole the ornament off of my Mercedes in a downtown parking lot years ago :rant2:

weister42
08-19-07, 09:04 PM
Mine got stolen outside of a bar and I knew who took it, these young wangsters rolling around in a 2000+ Blue Impala with some 20s and tinted windows. We're in central Wisconsin, I mean come on seriously...

My idea was to grind an actual Cadillac hood ornament until it's razor sharp then rechrome it, so if anyone even tries to pull on it will end up cutting themselves. Yanking may cause severe hand trauma.

But then my car might get kicked or something like that.

FrankT
08-25-07, 09:53 PM
But then my car might get kicked or something like that.
My thoughts exactly, I think it would create extreme anger within the thief. You may end up with a key job or some other kind of damage to your vehicle. The Horn trick is the best idea yet, it can attract attention, and thieves don't like attention. Frank