: Microsoft facing law suits over 360...

railven
07-11-07, 10:47 AM
Sometimes you really don't care until it happens to you. My friend's 360 died on him, that red ring of light - hardware fault, and I sort of laughed at him. His died about a year ago and it was one of the original launch models.

Anyways MS did him right and gave him a new one so he was happy. Until it died again about four months ago. And last week mine died. So what the hell?

This is the first console that has died on me EVER outside of normal wear and tear. My unit is used probably once or twice a week it should have no reason to die.

So I hit the net and found out MS is having a hard time explaining the death rate for their units. I was more ticked off since mine was an Elite. It seems some news sites are estamating a whopping 33%+ failure rate. That is insane!

And then I read about some units scratching discs. I'm glad mine didn't do that.

MS extended their warranty to 3yrs which will cost them roughly $1billion. This can't be good for them. With Sony now selling the PS3 at only a $20 dollar difference over the Elite.

I'll give it to MS their phone rep was very helpful. I got my prepaid packaging yesterday and just came back from dropping it off at the post office.

Sucks. Doing my math I know five people personally with 360s including me (I got 2). That's 6 units of which my friend's died twice, mine once, and the other so far so good. In that small number thats 50%. That's just plain unacceptable.

Anyways, just thought I'd share that for the 360 owners. Your warranty is now 3yrs and the reps are really nice. Big downside is I was told 3-4 week turn around time not including shipping time.

Jesda
07-11-07, 10:55 AM
I was going to buy one, but now I'll wait.

Blackout
07-11-07, 11:35 AM
How is MS facing lawsuits then? BTW this was confirmed at E3

Falcon is the name for the latest internal electronics in the Xbox 360. It will have an IBM microprocessor and an AMD/ATI graphics chip that are manufactured in a 65-nanometer production process. These are cost-reduced chips that do the same thing as their 90-nanometer predecessors, but they’re smaller.

With smaller chips, Microsoft gets a bunch of benefits. They won’t generate as much heat. So the risks of overheating — one of the main reasons behind Microsoft’s billion-dollar write-off for repairs and extended warranties — are much lower. The chips may also cost half of what it took to make them before because they use less material and fewer manufacturing steps to produce.

Everyone knows that console makers cut the prices and costs on their consoles over time. But you may not be aware that the primary chips – microprocessor, graphics, and the Ana video processing chip – are the bulk of the cost of the machine. Microsoft started making the Xbox 360s in August, 2005, with a 90-nanometer process. It is overdue to switch to the newest technology, 65 nanometers, but that day has finally come. It may be some time — a year, maybe two — before it moves on the a 45-nanometer process.And as for them losing so much money for the system yeah it sucks that they're shelling out this much for it but if they keep on extending warranties (now 3 years) then as long as it doesn't cost me anything then I am happy. As for repairs to current 360's they are adding more heat soaks to them to help cool them off better.

EDIT: Also at E3 Resident Evil 5, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, MOH Airborne, GTA 4, Guitar Hero 3, and too many other games I forgot to mention were shown. On top of it it is also rumored that MGS4 will be on the 360 as well. Developers for the game are thinking that with the small install base for the PS3 that they won't be able to make their money back and that "they may have to take steps" into finding ways to make their money back. But even after MS's 2 hour press conference yesterday nothing was announced so who knows. It's going to be a great year for 360 owners

The Tony Show
07-11-07, 01:01 PM
Day 1 launch system here, still going strong.

gary88
07-11-07, 01:09 PM
Day 1 launch system here, still going strong.

I've had mine since Feb '06 and haven't had a problem.

blunted
07-11-07, 02:48 PM
This is probably why...
The 360's fans/heatsink:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/chromecaddy/inside1001.jpg

How they coulda done it :D .. (ps3)

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/chromecaddy/DSCF0401.jpg
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l209/chromecaddy/DSCF0456.jpg

Whoever decided to just throw 2 little fans into the x-box probably just got fired.

railven
07-11-07, 02:52 PM
How is MS facing lawsuits then? BTW this was confirmed at E3
And as for them losing so much money for the system yeah it sucks that they're shelling out this much for it but if they keep on extending warranties (now 3 years) then as long as it doesn't cost me anything then I am happy. As for repairs to current 360's they are adding more heat soaks to them to help cool them off better.

EDIT: Also at E3 Resident Evil 5, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, MOH Airborne, GTA 4, Guitar Hero 3, and too many other games I forgot to mention were shown. On top of it it is also rumored that MGS4 will be on the 360 as well. Developers for the game are thinking that with the small install base for the PS3 that they won't be able to make their money back and that "they may have to take steps" into finding ways to make their money back. But even after MS's 2 hour press conference yesterday nothing was announced so who knows. It's going to be a great year for 360 owners

I've read alot about the MGS4 rumor too. Konami Corp would probably want for that but the decision still comes down to Hideo. It is well known that Hideo had no intentions of making MGS4 anything but PS3, but who knows when corporate bosses start putting pressure on him.

Eitherway, those games you named are all PS3 bound too. The recent price cut has shown PS3 to increase sales on Amazon.com by up to 2700% Now in terms of percentage that means a lot but if in real numbers that can just be last month they sold 1 this month they sold 27. Haha.

The whole dead 360 has really left a bad taste in my month. I was reading online that the Elites and after 03/07 unites all carry the beefed up heatsinks. MS techies said heating is not the issue on those new units. They are starting to say it might be a power inlet problem. Some sites are reporting MS reps are saying its may be the surge protector you have your unit hooked up to.

The die shrink may or may not help. Die shrinks don't always reduce power consumption and heat creation, just look at the P4 when it went it went from Northwood to Prescott.

This E3's press coverage is lacking. The ESA really screwed the magic of E3 up. The gaming world is falling apart. With the whole Manhunt 2 fiasco, the ESRB starting to rate game trailers, and everyone suing some branch of the gaming world...it just sucks.