Cadillac Owners Forum banner
6K views 57 replies 39 participants last post by  Cadillac Customer Service 
#1 ·
Yesterday my low fuel warning came on...I only drove the car about 5 miles after the warning came on...Today I went out to get gas and the V ran out of gas on the way to the station which is about 2 miles from my house. I tried to start it a few times and couldn't. before it stalled it jerked real hard a few times. DO YOU THINK I COULD HAVE DAMAGED ANYTHING BY RUNNING OUT OF GAS??? it does seem a little sluggish now..but it could be my imagination.

#2 ·
Lesson learned on these cars. When you hit a quarter of a tank, get to the nearest gas station.

No, you probably didn't harm anything. There might have been some sediment in the bottom of the tank that you sucked in, but nothing a good fuel filter change won't cure.

I never let my cars get below a quarter tank, ever.

Reactions: CIWS
#3 ·
I would agree with that.
You shouldn't have done any damage.
Just fill her up and pretend that E is a little bit higher ;)

My dad is the king of running out of gas.
He has to do it at least once to know where the E "really" is.
Then he remembers and he pushes and pushes to see if he can get every drop out before he pulls in to fill it up.
As a teen I got tired of walking, so I fill mine every time it even gets close to 1/4 tank.
My wife ran out of gas in her truck once, but the gas gage was broken, its a Dodge... .what do you expect :histeric:

Reactions: CIWS
#5 ·
I tried to test my low fuel light once, but only got brave enough to let 16 gallons get used before I assumed it either wasn't working or I simply just wasn't going to push my luck any further. Theoretically I still had a gallon to a gallon and a half left, but in the V that can be squat. :D

#9 ·
I can get about 30-40 miles before I am completely out after the low fuel level warning shows its ugly face. Don't ask how I know.....

#10 ·
I recently ran out of gas with the pedal to the floor in 3rd doing about 80mph. It was rather interesting. I was taking part in a SCCA solo trials event. I had about 16th of a tank (no low fuel light) and thought I could make one more time around the ~50 second course. On the final straight into the finish line, all of a sudden power just cut out and the "Stability System Ready" message came on the NAV. I was thinking something broke or overheated. As I coasted through the finish, the power steering went out as the engine stalled and I came to a stop. I tried to start it, but it wouldn't. THEN the low fuel light came on. Doh! :thepan:

Moral of the story: No racing with less than a quarter tank.

#19 ·
I just did a few fuel systems in our cars. They stay full forever because the sending unit float is at the full mark just below the vertical rise of the tank. Around the top of the heat shield has the float at max vertical travel. Another crappy design by g.m.

[/URL][/IMG]

#21 ·
Yep I got close yesterday to running out. I went to one gas station and the stupid ATM swipe card thing on the side of the pump didn't work. I was about to walk inside and some randm guy said "I would even think about going in there". So I left and went another mile to the nearest 76 station. I filled up 15.75 gallons at the gas station. So I was pretty close to empty. And my light didn't even go on yet.

#26 ·
I also thought the same. Oil in the fuel to lubricate the pump, and the fuel (liquid) to keep it cool.
My brother was a person who always ran his vehicles to the last drop of fuel. He also replaced fuel pumps on everyone of them. One day I told him :rant2:the next pump let a shop replace it $$$$$. In 10 years I have not replaced a fuel pump on his vehicles.:highfive:

#24 ·
I've run out three times with the V.
I literally count the commutes I can get out of a tankful now to figure out if I can make it back to my preferred gas station. Its an easy count for this car-- one which I can do without even using my toes.

While filling up on a quarter tank is overkill, pushing beyond about an eight of a tank is playing the gas can walk russian roullete.

Brian R.

#25 ·
I suspect the price of a new pump installed will approach $500.
Actually that would probably cover a little bit more than the labor.
I am not sure the price of the pump, but my guess would be somewhere between $500 and $700.
With a VIN I can check with parts.
Not sure what the price would be on the left side sender or the transfer tube.

#27 ·
I've never run out of gas, but for a while there I was looking at my temp gauge and thinking I had half a tank. :alchi: Good thing the "low fuel" message came on the DIC. :D

#31 ·
Not sure if I understand your question there, but be aware that CTS has two units in the fuel tank. The left one is a pickup tube with a siphon in the bottom and the right one has the pump and plumbing for fuel delivery along with a cup type device to keep fuel on the pump during fuel slosh since we don't use tank baffles anymore.

The pump is nearly impossible to remove from the unit itself due to the way it is all put together and a hose connects the two units to transfer fuel from the left to the right.
Putting an aftermarket pump in a CTS tank would cause a myriad of problems to say the least due to the way the system is designed.

#32 ·
I've done two fuel system/pump replacement's in our cars. You're correct, there are two "units" in our tanks. But,there is a quick disconnect to separate the right and left side at the pump. The "cup" device you refer to is called a "basket". It holds the pump in a horizontal manner with the pickup on the floor of the tank. The basket has three snaps that separate very easily to allow the removal of the pump, basket etc. The aftermarket Racetronix pump is a direct plug and play Walbro pump. No myriad of problem's at all, just a easy swap and 600+ rwhp capability fuel system. Like I said earlier, about $260 for the complete kit.

#33 ·
I'll have to take your word for it.
It doesn't surprise me that someone would have a replacement like that but I haven't seen one.
Thanks for the information.
Some of the GM pumps I have seen have an integrated siphon hose, I have never tried looking for a non-GM replacement.
Good to know that there are options.

I rarely see these pumps fail though. Mostly it is issues with sensors or the fuel transfer system.

#35 ·
Just a question, When does your gas light turn on "normally"? I just got my V a week or so ago, and I have all kinds of issues from a leaky tire with no nails in it, to bad trunk hydrolics, to no reverse gear, to now, being well below an eighth of a tank and no gas light. Just currious to see what is normal. But till that point, I will be stowing a full gas canister in the trunk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.