: Northstar crate or rebuild??

lookingtobuy
07-10-07, 08:18 PM
Hi all,

My friends got a nice 98 sedan deville with an engine knock :mad::mad:

can anyone recommend where to get a crate or get the motor rebuilt.

Thanks for and answers... :):)

Ranger
07-10-07, 09:37 PM
Are you sure it is not just cold carbon rap? Does it go away in a few seconds after start up?

lookingtobuy
07-11-07, 06:52 AM
Hi, The knocking is RPM sensitive, its not to bad at idle and definately gets worse as you rev up the engine. He thinks his son ran it low on oil.
Before scrapping the car I was wondering about the crate option or rebuild. We are in New England. Thanks for any help!!!

Some people told my friend its a bear to get the motor out, let alone have work done to it. It just seems such a waste to get rid of a great car : (

zonie77
07-11-07, 10:27 AM
It is a lot of work to get the engine out, this is the curse of ALL FWD cars.

The factory way it to drop the cradle...which is scary but can be done at home fairly easily by using an engine hoist to raise the body (which is surprisingly light without the cradle) high enough to roll the cradle out. After you do it once you'll scoff at people afraid of it.

Pulling the engine is difficult because some of the bolts are very hard to access, but is doable if dropping the cradle is too scary.

Once the cradle is out everything is actually easier because you aren't leaning over fenders.

Raze
07-11-07, 07:35 PM
there's a rebuilder on ebay from minnesota I want to say that has awesome deals on rebuilt N*s something like $2800 timeserted and delivered to your door w a 3/year 30k mile warranty I want to say, someone correct me if I'm wrong. If you know how to rebuild an engine you could do your N* for quite a bit less, if you don't know how to rebuild an engine you won't be able to do it for much less, plus alot of time. A crate engine is going to run you ~$5k+ depending who you get it from it won't be timeserted but the warranty is usually something like 3 years 50k miles or something like that...