: small RANT

Rolex
07-10-07, 03:02 PM
I have been getting harrassing phone calls for over a month from a debt collector. Thing is, I don't owe anybody any money. They're calling me about my SIL's debt to a bank.

I did these guys a BIG favor by putting them in touch with my SIL....and selfishly hoped to rid myself of their phone calls. Well today I got another call and went off on these scumbags.

For those of you in this situation the Federal Trade Comission has a set of guidelines set up to protect consumers from this garbage:

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

I informed this jackass that he was allowed only 1 phone call to me under section 804:

804. Acquisition of location information [15 USC 1692b]

Any debt collector communicating with any person other than the consumer for the purpose of acquiring location information about the consumer shall --

(3) not communicate with any such person more than once unless requested to do so by such person or unless the debt collector reasonably believes that the earlier response of such person is erroneous or incomplete and that such person now has correct or complete location information;

Furthermore I informed them that referring to themselves as a law office was illegal undersection 807:

807. False or misleading representations [15 USC 1692e]

A debt collector may not use any false, deceptive, or misleading representation or means in connection with the collection of any debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section --

(3) The false representation or implication that any individual is an attorney or that any communication is from an attorney.

I also refreshed his memory about harrassing phone calls section 806:

806. Harassment or abuse [15 USC 1692d]

A debt collector may not engage in any conduct the natural consequence of which is to harass, oppress, or abuse any person in connection with the collection of a debt. Without limiting the general application of the foregoing, the following conduct is a violation of this section --

(5) Causing a telephone to ring or engaging any person in telephone conversation repeatedly or continuously with intent to annoy, abuse, or harass any person at the called number.

That's right guys, they can't legally call and harrass you. I told the collector masquerading as a lawyer if he called my home tele ever again I would become a civil liability to him. He seemed to get the point this time. He had better! :mad:

:sbox:

FWIW I don't intend to tell my SIL that they called me. If I do she will only call and bitch them out like she did the first time they called......which is exactly what they want her to do. :protest:

Rolex >>>>:kick: <<<<Debt collector

Get some :dflip:

gdwriter
07-10-07, 03:37 PM
Good to know. I still get calls on occasion for my ex-wife. She owes me money, too.

urbanski
07-10-07, 03:43 PM
report them to the FTC now

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-10-07, 03:44 PM
What's a SIL? My first guess was son in law but then I realized you're 31, and any son in law you'd have wouldn't be old enough to have a credit score.

Rolex
07-10-07, 03:47 PM
If any of our New Jersey members know of a good lawyer (for civil suits and such) in the NJ area let me know. This debt collector is located in the Mercerville, NJ area and Mercer County. I may be interested in stirring up some trouble for these bums. :stirpot:

Rolex
07-10-07, 03:48 PM
report them to the FTC now

What's the best way?

ETA: nevermind.

SIL = sister in law ;)

ETA:complaint filed! :D

urbanski
07-10-07, 03:57 PM
they're in NJ? call the NJ attrny gen ofc and report them also.

urbanski
07-10-07, 03:58 PM
send them a C&D letter, certified, too, and CC the att. gen.
wouldnt hire a lawyer on your own, thats what the AG is for.

Rolex
07-10-07, 04:04 PM
send them a C&D letter, certified, too, and CC the att. gen.
wouldnt hire a lawyer on your own, thats what the AG is for.

Thanks Urb :thumbsup:

ETA: filed a complaint with NJ state attorney general. We'll see what happens now. :lildevil:

Red_October_7000
07-10-07, 07:39 PM
Good for you man!
You screwed me up too because my ladyfriend used to refer to her daughter's then-boyfriend (whom she liked very much) as her "SIL". Considering her kids are grown though this makes more sense!

CIWS
07-10-07, 09:13 PM
Pick up the phone and act like your talking, but actually talk very very softly, almost a whisper. Then after about 15 seconds blast an air horn into the phone and ask them if they heard you that time. :thumbsup: