: I Need Cheap 97 insert kit

97candylacdevil
07-10-07, 11:32 AM
Going to attempt timeserting a 97 deville in a couple days looking for a cheap used kit (why are inserts only like 3 bucks but the kit is 350+?). Also i heard that i should use "norms" inserts because they work better in the pre-99 blocks, but i dont know what the difference is from the standard timeserts or even how to obtain these specialty-serts. The auto part store says timesert kits dont exsist in thier inventory so where would i buy one of these short of ordering off the internet? Is their a certain aftermarket head gasket i should try to find or is there only the gm ones available? Does anyone know where to find a nice used set of
20-22" chrome wires with tires? Any help or advice from some of you who have done this before would be greatly appriciated:worship:
thanks
97candylacdevil

dkozloski
07-10-07, 02:26 PM
Going to attempt timeserting a 97 deville in a couple days looking for a cheap used kit (why are inserts only like 3 bucks but the kit is 350+?). Also i heard that i should use "norms" inserts because they work better in the pre-99 blocks, but i dont know what the difference is from the standard timeserts or even how to obtain these specialty-serts. The auto part store says timesert kits dont exsist in their inventory so where would i buy one of these short of ordering off the internet? Is there a certain aftermarket head gasket i should try to find or is there only the gm ones available? Does anyone know where to find a nice used set of 20-22" chrome wires with tires? What width and backspace would i need with what tires?
Any help or advice from some of you who have done this before would be greatly appriciated:worship:
thanks
97candylacdevil
As strange as it may seem, for Timeserts go to www.timesert.com (http://www.timesert.com) .

97candylacdevil
07-10-07, 03:16 PM
What can i do to maximize the longevity of this repair as it seems there will be ALOT of work involved and i dont wish to ever do it again.
thanks again
candylac

Harry Yarnell
07-10-07, 03:20 PM
threadkits.com has the inserts (#11155) for $2.32 ea.
Head sets are available from any parts house; Felpro seems to be the aftermarket choice.

97candylacdevil
07-10-07, 03:52 PM
Are those the "norm"-serts?

97candylacdevil
07-10-07, 03:56 PM
Will the inserts alone be enough to do the repair if i can find one of the positioning plates for the drill and a tap-die set? What else is included in the kit (why is there such a price difference between the inserts and the entire kit)?

97candylacdevil
07-10-07, 05:02 PM
re: Dkoz
As strange as it may seem i still cant find USED kits, LOCALLY AVAILABLE kits, or NORMS inserts at timeserts.com So i would hope that isnt ment to be rude sarcasm but i do appriciate the reply and look forward to further posts and help with this thread.

Dont mess with the candylac.;-)
lol

Harry Yarnell
07-10-07, 07:08 PM
The 'entire' kit basically has all the taps, drill, and guides to install the inserts.
Check E-bay; often seen there.

AJxtcman
07-10-07, 07:10 PM

32859Hmmmm

zonie77
07-10-07, 07:57 PM
97candylac,

Look at this thread. There is another similar one from the same timeframe that has most of the same info.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/5052-n-head-gasket-repair-part-i.html?highlight=replacing+head+gaskets+part+1+zon ie77

97candylacdevil
07-11-07, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the thread zonie, it helped alot but im still not sure how to get ahold of "Norm's" inserts and since everyone says they're the best i would prefer to use them. any help on tracking some down would be awesome. i have decided to order a guideplate off ebay but am unsure of what size drill bits and taps will i need? other tools or parts i'll need besides the inserts and guideplate?

Also thanks AJXtc, i appriciate the post but am a little unsure of what u are trying to show me. is the NS300L the factory headbolt? or Norms? or the timesert repair? if u could explain...

97candylacdevil
07-11-07, 11:16 AM
I guess the question i have concerning the kit: Is it just the guide plate im paying a couple hundred extra for?

clarkz71
07-11-07, 03:36 PM
Here's what you get. This is the Time-Sert kit # 42385-500

http://www.timesert.com/images/kits/manufacturer/NorthStar01.jpg

clarkz71
07-11-07, 03:39 PM
Here's Norms kit, notice no guide plate like the Time-sert kit. #NS300L

http://i23.ebayimg.com/06/i/000/9d/09/182b_1.JPG

97candylacdevil
07-11-07, 03:44 PM
Rip-off. Well at least they include the lube for the couple extra c-notes they expect us to pay for the kits.

If anyone has a guide plate or used kit for sale i would be willing to buy it asap
Adam (515) 779-9278

97candylacdevil
07-11-07, 05:49 PM
Does that alum block in norms kit take place of the guide plate in the timesert kit? Could i just drill press a chunk of alum and call it a guide plate?

dkozloski
07-11-07, 06:07 PM
Does that alum block in norms kit take place of the guide plate in the timesert kit? Could i just drill press a chunk of alum and call it a guide plate?
I've gotten away with using a chunk of hardwood when I only had a few holes to do.

zonie77
07-11-07, 06:17 PM
The old hole acts as a guide. If you let the drill follow the hole it should be straight enough.

Bbob said he didn't use the guide all the time. After doing a few holes I had the feeling the guide was not necessary.

Norm's kits are usually on ebay. Have you done a search there? I'm not sure what search argument will find it but I'd think timesert and Northstar should bring it up.

I've only used the timsert set but it's designed to be pretty foolproof. It's hard to drill too deep, etc. I like the fact that Norm's are longer and give more grip in the block. I think his require you to pay a little more attention to what you are doing but since I haven't used them I might be wrong on that.

vinniee
07-22-07, 02:36 PM
I'm looking for one too. I posted looking to rent a kit. Guess i will flip the cash out and by a kit. If anybody interested in renting one from me in the near future, just let me know.

dkozloski
07-22-07, 03:43 PM
I'm looking for one too. I posted looking to rent a kit. Guess i will flip the cash out and by a kit. If anybody interested in renting one from me in the near future, just let me know.
That's a great idea. There used to be several sets that circulated around among members of the forum. A good start might be a servicable, reusable shipping container and a CD with some pics and procedures to go with it.