: Any Talisman owners?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-09-07, 11:57 PM
Talismans! I know they're rare and all, but someone one here's gotta have one! If so, post pictures, stories, details, etc etc!! I've always been a big fan of these (pun not intended)....they were just sooo opulent, so over the top, so unrestrained. Lincoln and Imperial usually had Cadillac beat in the '70s for over the top, unrestrained, in your face design, but Cadillac had them all beat for three years.

I've always wondered, where'd they come up with that name anyways. Talisman..... like the Stephen King book?? Can't be.

Here's a great example of a '74. My god, can cars come more opulent than this?!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LQQK-RAREST-TALISMAN-OF-ALL-TALISMANS-PRODUCED_W0QQitemZ220129150316QQihZ012QQcategoryZ6 149QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://carad.ebayimg.com/i3/06/a/000/77/95/fe9d_4.JPG
http://carad.ebayimg.com/i9/04/a/000/77/95/fe37_4.JPG

z06bigbird
07-10-07, 12:12 AM
One of my favorites. I always wanted one. Not much to break on that car--mechanically.

93DevilleUSMC
07-10-07, 01:22 AM
If that car was a woman....

Cadillac Giovanni
07-10-07, 05:39 PM
I love those model years to death, but one of my favorite parts about most Cadillacs is the LACK of a center console like that. I prefer the straight across bench seats, which are a rare phenomenon these days. Given the choice between a 74 Fleetwood and the same exact car in with the Talisman option, I'd take the standard any day of the week.

Still a gorgeous car though.

lochenjons
07-10-07, 11:40 PM
until this point i never knew what "opulant" meant... thanks!

awesome car!

305Caddy
07-11-07, 12:24 AM
I still dont know what "Opulant" means, LOL JK

is it me or does that car have like 8 Head lights?

no but really that shape...... love it

Red_October_7000
07-11-07, 12:40 AM
I love the Talisman; I would be hard pressed to choose between a Fleetwood Talisman and a Fleetwood Brougham w/Airbags.

Frost
07-11-07, 07:14 AM
Was the name Talisman not linked to The Masons?

N0DIH
07-11-07, 10:25 PM
Zo, how do you ID a Tali vs a non Tali?

cadydaddy
07-12-07, 12:32 AM
Zo, how do you ID a Tali vs a non Tali?

That interior is an easy give away.

eldorado99
07-12-07, 12:49 AM
That and it'll say "Fleetwood Talisman" on it.

Frost
07-12-07, 07:18 AM
How'd you like to be in the unenviable position of trying to restore one of these bad boys and looking at finding those Talisman emblems and nameplates?!?!?

N0DIH
07-12-07, 07:39 AM
Anyone with picts of the Tali emblems? I don't think I have ever seen one....

fleetwood76
07-12-07, 01:34 PM
hello!

Above the pics of the interiour of the talisman in this link is a not very good photo or scanning of the sail panel talisman emblem.

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2582/cadillac/flt/talis.html

jolle.

fleetwood76
07-12-07, 02:07 PM
Hello, I found this photo I had saved earlier.

N0DIH
07-13-07, 12:54 AM
I would love to make a 93-96 Fleetwood Talisman. Start with a Brougham, toss in a L92 V8 and 6L80E (http://media.gm.com/us/powertrain/en/product_services/Spec%20Sheets/Transmissions/2006%20Automatics/2006%206L80%20%28MYC%29.pdf), 9.5" axle with 3.42 gears, find a new set of seats and recover them worthy of a Tali, build up a sweet Delco Bose or better stereo, and make a sweeeeeeeeeet daily driver!

Oh, and make it 2 door or 2 door convertible!

alan4video
07-30-08, 11:37 AM
How'd you like to be in the unenviable position of trying to restore one of these bad boys and looking at finding those Talisman emblems and nameplates?!?!?

I own the very car show in this thread. It was imported to the UK earlier this year. Sadly it is not at all like the pictures. It has extensive rust in the roof and trunk floor pan plus the offside rear quarter needs replacing. It also has rust in both front fenders, hood and nearside rear fender. The Fleetwood Talisman badges had been removed by the time it arrived here and so far a search for them has drawn a blank. The interior needs complete restoration and thanks to SMS Autofabrics this will be the easier part of the restoration. The bodywork I hope to begin in the next couple of months.
Wish me luck I think I may need it.
Alan.

CaddyChillin77777
07-30-08, 09:11 PM
Man, that sucks about the deterioration. But you've definitely chosen a unique car to restore. I really want to get one; it's probably the next Cadillac on my wishlist. But anyways, good luck, and keep us updated with the restoration, I really want to see what you can do with it.

cadimec
10-11-08, 06:03 AM
Hello people,

Well, Alan has posted about HIS Talisman on the UK side of the channel,in Terra Cotta Firemist, just as ours arrived here in Antwerp, Belgium 2 weeks ago. Ours (also 1974) is in "Diplomat Blue" (#29) with the dark blue "Medici" interior. Alan's car will be coming over in the next few weeks, so the two Talismans (Talismen?) will be together here in Antwerp undergoing restoration..

We have been aware of only 2 other Talisman models here in Europe: a very sharp one in/around Paris, believed delivered there new ("Regal Blue Firemist", 1974) and a 1975 model which has surfaced for sale periodically, in Switzerland, also dark blue.

We are lucky to be the 3rd owners from new, and happily, have a lot of papers & documents with our car. (including the key knock-out tabs, from which we got 2 further sets of keys cut, including the unique 3rd key for the twin consoles, before the car was exported to us.)

The Fleetwood Talisman was in fact a trim-upgrade option, and ours is listed as Code 525: Dk. Blue Medici cloth - this automatically included the twin lockable consoles, "shag" carpet (with wider stainless mouldings along the doors & centre pillar, than standard Fleetwood & de Ville models), carpeted, rubber-backed floor mats, "Fleetwood Talisman" dash script above the glovebox, manual passenger seatback recliner & illuminated visor vanity mirror, map-pockets, thick padded "Elk Grain" vinyl roof, with a broad chrome-plated (brass?) belt moulding which continues into the tops of the rear doors. (same roof treatment was used on the "Brougham d'Elegance" which appeared in 1973, and continued to the 1976 models). All this was finished-off with the full-colour stand up wreath & crest hood ornament, a la the Eldorados. This lavish package cost US$ 1,800 over and above the standard Fleetwood Brougham for 1974 - at a time, when I believe average weekly wages in the States were around $100.00 per week!

Body wise, it comes with the standard "Rust in the Roof" option, but unlike poor Alan, we have a near-perfect trunk floor. For the rest, really minor rust spots (only) in a few locations on the bottoms of the doors - but as it was in dry storage for some 14 years, the car is in excellent shape. It has hand-picked options, including Track Master (the first A.B.S.system), and "Lap robe and cushion" - we have the cushion, but need to make-up the lap robe - anyone have a pattern?? - and we have the original window-sticker as well. The interior and all interior/exterior chrome & die-cast is virtually perfect.

A note on the rust these years: we have been told by an English colleague that there was all sorts of industrial strife in the US steel industry in the mid-1970's, necessating large-scale import of steel from South America - and this was offered as a reason the 1974-76 Cadillacs were so prone to rust. Can anyone confirm this?

So, we will post some pictures soon: currently, we are in the middle of converting the exterior lights to E.U. norms, and will put our Talisman through full E.U. conformity for daily-use here in Belgium. Luckily, I have a genuine 1974 Cadillac kilometer/hour speedometer, and this will also be fitted. (reads to "160" instead of "100", odometer records in kilometers, not miles).

We are delighted to be sharing our "Medici Madness" with Alan & Sandra from England - and no doubt, the twin Talisman restorations here will be of interest to forum members.

Yours in Cadillac,
Cadimec