: Silverado VS Tundra VS F-150.

LS1Mike
07-08-07, 09:42 PM
I think this video speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zShwG9l1F0Q

Rolex
07-08-07, 09:50 PM
zShwG9l1F0Q

I've seen this video before. :eek: The Toyota actually loses some paint and sustains body damage to the cab.

Spyder
07-08-07, 10:03 PM
There was no speaking at all...I couldn't get any sound!

Rolex
07-08-07, 10:08 PM
This is actually a Ford promotion.

Check this one out:

zRfE_XAk2mE

Here's the same vid with a narrator:

EWjTbiYo3x0

Very obviously pro-Ford:bigroll:

LS1Mike
07-08-07, 10:11 PM
True it is a Ford thing, but man if the speeds are equal and they do apear as such. That Tundra is flexing like a tootsie roll!

Rolex
07-08-07, 10:14 PM
That video should make you think twice about jumping on the Tundra bandwagon....that's for sure. I think the GM truck looks damn good in those videos. Did you notice they didn't compare the GM frame to the Ford's? Wonder why that is? :rolleyes:

Florian
07-08-07, 10:28 PM
That F150 is solid....not a chance Id ever buy a Tundra

F

LS1Mike
07-08-07, 10:33 PM
The Silverado is also solid and in 08 will have the 6 speed auto with a boxed in frame like the Denali has right now.
I do believe GM has the stiffest susupension of them all. Which would cause the ass end to hop so much.
I would still stay GM has the better drivetrain with their LSX powered vehicles and in 09 a 4.5 liter all GM produced Diesel will go into the half ton trucks and H2. Producing 310 HP and 520 Ft/LBS of troque.
I know what I want.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-07, 10:34 PM
Wow that Ford did surprisingly well. And watching the Tundra go through that reminded me of watching Roseanne Barr on a trampoline.

But I'm still a Chevy man.

gary88
07-09-07, 12:22 AM
I'm not the biggest fan of all things Ford, but I love their trucks. My dad has an F250 and F550 with the powerstroke diesel. On the F550 we've towed upwards of 30,000lbs on more than one occasion with absolute ease.

They screwed up the new F250 powerstroke though. He was going to buy one right when it came out, but found out the way they designed it, to remove the engine you have to lift the body. It's a shame too, those twin turbos would be nice to have.

Spyder
07-09-07, 12:47 AM
Where's the mopar...?

Jesda
07-09-07, 12:52 AM
F150 is a solid truck, no question. I wonder how the Titan compares?

Red_October_7000
07-09-07, 02:14 AM
Ford has always made a solid truck, so has GM. Toyota just doesn't know how to make one for real. Sure, the old Hilux lasted forever, but they dont' make that anymore, do they, and that was a minitruck with a little 4-banger, not a big pickup.

It's clearly a Ford video, though, notice how the shots of the Ford don't focus too much on the cab/bed junction, and more more "commercial" and less "clinical" -but still, the truck holds up well.

LS1Mike
07-09-07, 07:20 AM
That is a good question.
The sold something like 330,000 dodge trucks last year. Maybe they weren't as concerned because it sold half as much as Ford or GM:confused:

Night Wolf
07-09-07, 08:33 AM
The C-frame on the Tundra.... in their ad's, they even go as far as saying why its better and how much engineering it took instead of "throwing a fully boxed frame on the truck"

My 1994 Isuzu has a fully boxed frame with welded cross members.... new Tundra is pathetic IMO.

Florian
07-09-07, 09:27 AM
The Silverado is a Z71 package (note the rear qtr panel decal) which is the sport suspension, hence the bounce.

F

danbuc
07-09-07, 11:57 AM
Tundra is crap...

dkozloski
07-10-07, 01:44 AM
Anyone having driven a variety of pickups on washboard roads soon finds that each has a sweet spot a speed of minimum bouncing, and a resonant speed where it will fall apart. It is very easy to "rig" a video such as the example by varying the speed by only a few MPH to emphasize the best or the worst of each vehicle. In other words, the video shows nothing definitive.

Spyder
07-10-07, 02:05 AM
HAhaha, true. My old '60 Dodge truck had a sweet spot. I found it rode smoothest, without feeling like it was going to fall apart on a washboard road, at 0 mph. Other than that, it was just great, dangerous, death-defying, sitting on a milkcrate instead of a seat fun!

jarner
07-13-07, 10:35 PM
get a GM

MachX
10-30-07, 04:16 PM
wow did that Toyota ever flop around. Of course who's to say that a few bolts weren't loosened for the sake of the video, eh? Regardless, whatever you might say about Ford, they've always done one thing right. Their F150. Not that Chevy or Dodge builds bad pickups. I think the reason you don't see a Dodge is because they are the most 'trucky' trucks. They are built to be workhorses, and nothing but. On the other hand, though, I was driving a 2001 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins diesel, and you could watch the door flapping over bumpy pavement! I was like what the HELL. It should be more solid than that. Even my 91 Deville doesn't flex that badly. In fact, it doesn't flex at all over bumpy stuff, it just squeeks and rattles, but that's with 225k miles on the clock.

Submariner409
10-30-07, 05:09 PM
I've had good service and zero - yes, zero - warranty defects in 4 F-150's.
Three V-8's and an I-6 (best engine, 5-sp.), and Ford trucks use NO oil between changes. None, and they now run 5W-20.

Like any truck with a frame (as opposed to unibody), you look in the rear view mirror and the cap/bed sometimes appears to be on a different road: the bed is only attached to the frame, not any part of the body, so there's no extra stiffening from body and roof connections. (Run a chain saw down each door pillar, to the floor pan, in my Seville. No flex? HA!)

MachX
10-30-07, 05:12 PM
Well I think it goes without saying Ford builds a damned good truck. They are class leading in every department, and if nothing else, Ford deserves the accolades it has received for its mighty F-series.

caddycruiser
10-30-07, 08:14 PM
The Tundra's HUGE problem is it's very, and surprisingly so, weakingly C-channel frame.

No one knows why Toyota went against them, even from 1999, trend to fully boxed hydro formed frames...but the new Tundra suffers so much from this flexy, flimsy old design.

This is even more clear with the other video above, here, when they test frame bending & twist...and the Tundra is again off the charts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRfE_XAk2mE

The look, size, power, etc. of the Tundra are credible, but it would be a 10x better TRUCK if it actually had a frame underneath it from this century and with proper strength. Just kind of falls on the heap of their issues with tailgates coming apart, constant carps on the cheap--even for a truck--interior, etc.

They know better, but just missed too many big things that were the most obvious on it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
10-30-07, 09:19 PM
I love the Ram just because of the Cummins Turbo Diesel I-6.

AMGoff
10-30-07, 09:41 PM
Well... that was helpful.

Good to know that if I ever need to purposely drive 30mph over a long stretch of perfectly uneven pavement that I should buy a Ford.

However.. should I ever need to do actual work with a truck I'll stick with a diesel Ram.

caddycruiser
10-30-07, 11:33 PM
Anyone having driven a variety of pickups on washboard roads soon finds that each has a sweet spot a speed of minimum bouncing, and a resonant speed where it will fall apart. It is very easy to "rig" a video such as the example by varying the speed by only a few MPH to emphasize the best or the worst of each vehicle. In other words, the video shows nothing definitive.

Good point, but what the vids did show is a lot of data that was already backed up and known by real world use, testing, owner reports, etc. The Ford is very solid and composed, the GM trucks are even a bit more so but can be a tad skittish with certain suspensions (as can be the Ford, with other stiffer setups), and the Toyota has such a huge structural deficiency that there's nothing that can compensate or change that.

Having driven, ridden in, etc. all of them, and know others with each, it's just a good quick showing of the real world "guts". And yet again, if the Toyota--which really does have some great points--only had a foundation that could match the size & looks, and increased durability across various body components, it could REALLY standout. The frame choice and design I will just never understand, being a semi mechanical engineer, and having talked to others about it. Actually, the basic design is something common to the past and others, but even those tended to still be technically more robust than what was developed here. Toyota did another 6 or 7/8's truck, but this time in every category ASIDE from size.

For others not mentioned, the Dodge--which is old now--would fall in between the Ford/Chevy and the wet noodle Toyota, and then the also left out Nissan Titan would be in a similar place. Just talking frame & body strength, and suspension design and activity.

CadillacSTS42005
10-31-07, 10:11 AM
Tundra's a joke
everyone knows this...

Blackout
10-31-07, 10:42 AM
The Titan is one of the most underrated trucks out there. Everybody is riding the Tundra's nuts while nobody gives the Titan the time of day

caddycruiser
10-31-07, 12:26 PM
The Titan is one of the most underrated trucks out there. Everybody is riding the Tundra's nuts while nobody gives the Titan the time of day

Agreed. It actually is quite good, despite what some have said, the main carps on it now are that it still "feels" a bit cheap and isn't overall as solid and refined as your typical new Ford or GM truck.

But it has great power, great capability, and size--just misses enough small points to be skipped over more and more. An increase in structural/body strength and expanded model choice (like right now, the smallest is an extended cab with 5.6L V8 only), and interest could return stronger.

Submariner409
10-31-07, 06:37 PM
Who makes the TuRD ??

HITMONEY
10-31-07, 07:47 PM
The Silverado is a Z71 package (note the rear qtr panel decal) which is the sport suspension, hence the bounce.

F

Z71 is an offroad package.

DopeStar 156
11-01-07, 02:18 AM
I gotta hand it, the Ford had a slight advantage over the Silverado. The Tundra was such crap, the test should been the Silverado and F-150 running over the Tundra..........

I~LUV~Caddys8792
11-01-07, 12:11 PM
Vortec >>>>>>>> Triton. Except for as far as I know, the Triton still has the big block (V10) offerering....GM axed the 8100.