: Luggage Bag on OEM Roof Rails?

onewhippedpuppy
07-08-07, 08:52 AM
With a trip to TX coming soon, I'm attempting to maximize our luggage space. As anyone with the 3rd row option knows, when you have the seat up, there's not much space back there. I don't have the factory towing package, so I can't put a luggage basket out back without adding a hitch, which I'd rather avoid. So, has anyone used a luggage bag on their SRX?

My only real concern is the OEM roof rails, which appear to be more for looks than function. With no cross-bars, can you sufficiently secure the bag? What bag did you use, and were you happy with it? Was there much of a MPG penalty?

n7don_srx
07-08-07, 02:02 PM
see scout01's reply in this thread:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-forum/110099-roof-rack-storage-unit.html

onewhippedpuppy
07-08-07, 05:00 PM
Thanks. I saw that, it's regarding a hard box rather than a bag. I picked a bag up today, I'll just try and rig it up to the longitudinal roof rails.

robhersch
07-08-07, 09:23 PM
I added the roof cross bar rail kit for carrying 4 x 8 plywood on the roof.
Try GM Parts Direct.com or Flow Chevrolet phone: 715-346-4147
PN: 12498684 @ $109.02 + $39.95 S&H; works great for me.
May be other configs for boxes, skis, etc. Good Luck

mjk
07-10-07, 11:17 AM
I added the roof cross bar rail kit for carrying 4 x 8 plywood on the roof.
Try GM Parts Direct.com or Flow Chevrolet phone: 715-346-4147
PN: 12498684 @ $109.02 + $39.95 S&H; works great for me.
May be other configs for boxes, skis, etc. Good Luck

can you tell me how wide those bars are?

thanks

scout01
07-15-07, 12:47 PM
I just got back from a 9 hour trip to Outer Banks, NC. If you have the Ultraview roof, I wouldn't recommend the roof bag, as they tend to sit on top of the roof, and am not sure if the glass would support any type of load. I got my cross bars from GM Parts Direct. The crossbars are about 3 inches wide and span the entire width of the roof. I have had no issues with the roof bars bending or flying off the roof. I only place a light amount of weight on top of the roof racks (100lbs or less). I have a hard top cargo shell from Sears model type ( Sport-20 SV). It works really well and is aerodynamic, which produces less drag than a bag would and thus equalling better gas mileage. I also opened my Ultraview roof witht the carrier attached and had no issues other than substantial wind noise. Good luck.
Scouts Out!

dkozloski
07-16-07, 03:20 PM
Rooftop loads are tacky. It makes you look like Okies from the dustbowl era.

onewhippedpuppy
07-16-07, 05:41 PM
Rooftop loads are tacky. It makes you look like Okies from the dustbowl era.

If you have a better way to carry 1 week of bags for myself, wife, 3 year old, 1 mo old + noted people + 2 extra people, all in an SRX, without spending $300 for a receiver hitch, I'm all ears.

dkozloski
07-16-07, 06:56 PM
I rented a class A motorhome.

onewhippedpuppy
07-16-07, 08:38 PM
That's cheating. Rules state that it must be in an SRX.:)

dkozloski
07-16-07, 08:58 PM
That's cheating. Rules state that it must be in an SRX.:)
Tow the SRX behind. The mother-in-law goes there too.

onewhippedpuppy
07-17-07, 08:29 AM
Tow the SRX behind. The mother-in-law goes there too.

Ooooooh, that's worth thinking about.

onewhippedpuppy
08-07-07, 12:20 PM
Update: The bag worked fine, though loading/unloading is a bit of a PITA. Because I was too cheap to buy the GM crossbars, I had to fab my own across the back with flat perforated steel. I attached this "crossbar" to the back luggage rack mounting bolts (behind plastic covers). For the front, I fabbed small loops using the same perforated steel and attached it to the front mounting bolts. I could have gone without, but without anything running laterally to attach to, I was afraid the bag would slowly slide backwards. Looked a bit ghetto, but worked great. Protected the roof with microfiber towels, and the roof bars with painter's tape where the straps attached.