: Well, there's a Friday night I'll never get back

90Brougham350
07-07-07, 01:54 PM
So Ruthie and I went to Ruby Tuesday's last night. We go to Applebee's way too much, for two-for-one's, so we thought we'd try RT's again. I'll get right to point, I haven't been that embarrassed for a restaurant for a long time. We were seated after a 20 minute wait (acceptable, seeing as how it was a Friday night) right next to a table of 10 8th-grade girls. Normally I'd ask for a different table but the place was packed and I didn't want to wait any longer. Anyways, they preceded the entire dinner to shriek and scream and laugh hysterically. OK, so that's what 14 year old girls do, but all of their parents were all sitting at another large table nearby, and paid absolutely no attention or mind to them, and didn't seem to care when a shriek caused half the restaurant to look.

Well OK, I thought, we're here, let's just eat and enjoy our dinner. We ordered drinks, I got a Tanq and Tonic and Ruthie ordered a Long Island. Unfortunately, the bar must have been running short on booze, because neither drink must have contained more than half a shot. So I'm pretty hungry, and get to to grab some salad from the salad bar (the only redeeming quality of RT's) and discover that half the toppings haven't been refilled in hours. No crutons, low on cheese, two of the types of lettuce were empty, several vegatables were empty, half the dressings were within a quarter inch of being empty, so I had to scoop like 6 times to get any on my plate.

I ate my salad (which wasn't horrible, probably because I was the one who made it) and our food soon arrived. I thought I'd celebrate and order the Triple Prime Burger, the one they keep showing in their commercials, where the guy eating it looks like he's getting a handjob under the table because he's so happy. The waitress set our food on the table and left, and I looked right at Ruthie and she said, "did you order off the kid's menu?" I seriously thought I was on candid camera. The burger was that small! It was honestly no larger than a plain cheeseburger from McDonald's.

The waitress did her job, there were no tomatoes on it, but I felt a little violated when I bit into it, and realized there was no cheese, no onions, no pickles, only a small leaf of brown-green lettuce with half a packet's worth of mayo. I asked for the burger to be done medium. I got a burger that was done medium well, edging into well-done, and dry. It was like eating a roll of Viva paper towels. The waitress was kind and brought me another cup of mayo, but it didn't help. I would have asked to send the burger back but we wanted to get the hell out of there ASAP.

Ruthie's chicken wasn't any better. It was a chicken breast covered in bacon, cheese, and barbeque sauce. Well, that sounds pretty good in theory, but then again, so does communism. She ate about a third of it, and offered me a bite. It was like eating pure sugar. I don't know what was in the barbecue sauce but the first twenty ingredients had to have been various types of sugar. Neither of us had another bite.

Well, the waitress was going nuts by this point dealing with the League of Annoying 8th Grade Sisterhood, so our bill arrived quickly. $49. I was in shock. They wanted me to pay $8.00 for Ruthie's Short-on-booze Island? $7.00 for a Tanq and Tonic? OK, I can see $15.00 for two drinks if you're a great restaurant, but when you're just TGI Friday's with a salad bar, don't insult me with an $8.00 Long Island. Now I'll gladly pay $2 extra for the salad bar (because it's not a bad salad bar), but if you're not going to keep it stocked and fresh, why should I pay what someone who got everything and lots of it did? Our entrees were the last point of disgust. Granted, we knew we were paying each about $11 for our entrees by themselves, but when I get a burger that the lowliest of fast-food joints puts to shame, I'm not happy.

At least the service was alright. Needless to say, we won't be back, and Ruby Tuesday's has lost customers for good.

Brian

thebigjimsho
07-07-07, 02:13 PM
Ruby Tuesday's certainly has quality control issues. I've been to a couple in Concord, NH and somewhere in RI and they were bad. Then I was at one in Indiana, PA, I believe, that was very, very good.

I'd rather go to a place like Applebee's or Chile's that may not blow you away but is always the same no matter where you go...

Silver Dollar
07-07-07, 02:17 PM
Entertaining story and we've all been there.

I don't pay for bad service or bad food. If they refuse to make things right I will make a scene if front of everyone (embarrasses the $hit out of my wife).

I would have been calling attention to the loud table, weak drinks and crappy food long before I got the bill.

Jonas McFeely
07-07-07, 02:28 PM
Entertaining story and we've all been there.

I don't pay for bad service or bad food. If they refuse to make things right I will make a scene if front of everyone (embarrasses the $hit out of my wife).

I would have been calling attention to the loud table, weak drinks and crappy food long before I got the bill.

Agreed. I dont understand how anyone can put up with all that and then pay for it. I would have asked to speak to a manager.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-07-07, 02:44 PM
i ****ing hate resturants ...

i can do it beatter for myself .....gimme a god damn grill and 50 bucks in liquor ...and 50 bucks in raw cow parts...

i can do anything beatter myself ....**** the world .....tho im still trying to figure out the whole sex thing ....gotta be a beatter way to just do that myself too ....women are far too much of a liabilty at this point .....

urbanski
07-07-07, 03:09 PM
send this letter to the manager there

Silver Dollar
07-07-07, 03:12 PM
i can do anything beatter myself .....

I can beater it better myself too :)

Stoneage_Caddy
07-07-07, 03:19 PM
I can beater it better myself too :)

damn:crybaby:

77CDV
07-07-07, 05:28 PM
i ****ing hate resturants ...

i can do it beatter for myself .....gimme a god damn grill and 50 bucks in liquor ...and 50 bucks in raw cow parts...

i can do anything beatter myself ....**** the world .....tho im still trying to figure out the whole sex thing ....gotta be a beatter way to just do that myself too ....women are far too much of a liabilty at this point .....
Good to see you're very much back to your old self, Stoney. I take it yet another interpersonal relationship ended poorly?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-07, 06:00 PM
Brian, did you go to the Ruby Tuesdays in Inver Grove Heights again? haha

Lemme explain to everyone. Last winter Brian was in town on break from school, so we met up and went to the Ruby Tuesdays near my work right after I got off work...on like a Tuesday evening. So we met at my work and we both drove down seperatly and parked next to one another. When we walked in, the hostess asked us (and I still can't believe she either had the audacity to do so, or was so stupid as to) if this was a date. I promptly replied "no, why do you ask...do you wanna go on one?!"...to make it awkward for her. So then she shut up and seated us. Then the waitress comes over and asks us THE SAME DAMN THING! WTF! I told her that Brian had a fiance, and it in fact WAS a female, and I was a single heterosexual male. After that, from what I can remember, the food was ok, but neither of us tipped well and didn't ever go back there again.

No more Ruby Tuesdays.

90Brougham350
07-07-07, 06:06 PM
Hahaha, I forgot all about that! That was another evening that pissed me off something fierce! I ordered a Windsor Manhattan. I got Jack.

Brian

JRau
07-07-07, 06:18 PM
Why in the world would the waitresses care if you were or were not on a date? What kind of question is that??? Thanks for the info on Ruby Tuesdays--they've got one in Downers Grove and I've thought of trying it. Now I won't.

Brian, you gotta tell the manager of that restaurant. They can't make it better if they don't know... You got ripped off big time, dude!

JRau

gary88
07-07-07, 06:35 PM
TGI Fridays > Ruby Tuesdays. Haven't had any problems there ever.

Stoneage_Caddy
07-07-07, 06:40 PM
Good to see you're very much back to your old self, Stoney. I take it yet another interpersonal relationship ended poorly?

its great to be back ...:thumbsup: ..that whole happy crap was really cramping my style lol ....

just in a rather salty mood today ...

Stoneage_Caddy
07-07-07, 06:41 PM
by the way , i never had a bad expereance at ruby tuesdays ....but i find tgi more my speed ....

urbanski
07-07-07, 07:07 PM
TGI Fridays > Ruby Tuesdays. Haven't had any problems there ever.

agreed

BigJon
07-07-07, 08:02 PM
same here i just got the same burger a few days ago tasted really good....

90Brougham350
07-07-07, 09:07 PM
Went to TGI's this evening for Happy Hour, and it was! Not as good of deals as Applebee's, but hey, a boozey Long Island for $3 is fair enough. The appetizers are decent, but I didn't get the same quantity I would get at Applebee's. Honestly, thanks to all your encouragement, I might just go ahead and let the manager at Tuesday's have an earfull.

Brian

Kev
07-07-07, 11:41 PM
Went to TGI's this evening for Happy Hour, and it was! Not as good of deals as Applebee's, but hey, a boozey Long Island for $3 is fair enough. The appetizers are decent, but I didn't get the same quantity I would get at Applebee's. Honestly, thanks to all your encouragement, I might just go ahead and let the manager at Tuesday's have an earfull.

BrianIf anything were to make a difference it would be a well written letter stating the facts with as little emotional embellishment as possible. With that they have something tangible and there is the greater possibility of them sending you a complimentary gift certificate for your trouble though you may be somewhat shy to use it....... you can give it to some one you don't like .... :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-07-07, 11:55 PM
TGI Fridays is soooo much better than Ruby Tuesdays. But then again, Fridays are the beginning of the weekend, whereas Tuesdays is just the beginning of the week...

Jonas McFeely
07-08-07, 02:23 PM
Brian, did you go to the Ruby Tuesdays in Inver Grove Heights again? haha

Lemme explain to everyone. Last winter Brian was in town on break from school, so we met up and went to the Ruby Tuesdays near my work right after I got off work...on like a Tuesday evening. So we met at my work and we both drove down seperatly and parked next to one another. When we walked in, the hostess asked us (and I still can't believe she either had the audacity to do so, or was so stupid as to) if this was a date. I promptly replied "no, why do you ask...do you wanna go on one?!"...to make it awkward for her. So then she shut up and seated us. Then the waitress comes over and asks us THE SAME DAMN THING! WTF! I told her that Brian had a fiance, and it in fact WAS a female, and I was a single heterosexual male. After that, from what I can remember, the food was ok, but neither of us tipped well and didn't ever go back there again.

No more Ruby Tuesdays.

LOLOLOLOLO(LLloL ROLFROFL;ljASDHjkl;sdfkj

urbanski
07-08-07, 04:30 PM
we're kinda "well known" at The Orleans in Vegas. they put in a Fridays about a year ago. best move ever. that place now has everything i need and then some. their menu is a freakin book

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-08-07, 05:19 PM
LOLOLOLOLO(LLloL ROLFROFL;ljASDHjkl;sdfkj

You been drinking again there Tim?

danbuc
07-08-07, 06:02 PM
I've never been to Ruby Tuesday's but I know all about getting bad drinks. I was at The Office Beer Bar & Grille in Ridgewood, NJ the other night (My friends and I frequent this place a lot because it's close, in town, and has a wide selection of beers to choose from). The last four times I've been there, they've either brought me the wrong beer, or the beer was flat and skunked. I ordered a Yuengling once (on draught) and when I got it, it was not only flat, but horribly watered down. I called the waitress over, and explained the situation. She offered to get me another beer, so I ordered a Rolling Rock. The time after that I ordered a Guiness (on draught). It was both flat, and extremely bitter. I sent that back....and ordered a Rolling Rock (in bottle). The third time, I was all excited because they had finally gotten Hoegaarden back in. So I ordered one, and what I got was Fransiskaner Hefe-Weisse....which was actually quite good....but it wasn't Hoegaarden. And two nights ago, I ordered another Guiness (on draught)...hoping that maybe they had got some new stuff. Nope, same flat, bitter crap I had a month ago. I've yet to order a burger there that was cooked properly, and had any of the right topping on it I asked for. At least the Pizza is good.

z06bigbird
07-08-07, 06:44 PM
So Ruthie and I went to Ruby Tuesday's last night. We go to Applebee's way too much, for two-for-one's, so we thought we'd try RT's again. I'll get right to point, I haven't been that embarrassed for a restaurant for a long time. We were seated after a 20 minute wait (acceptable, seeing as how it was a Friday night) right next to a table of 10 8th-grade girls. Normally I'd ask for a different table but the place was packed and I didn't want to wait any longer. Anyways, they preceded the entire dinner to shriek and scream and laugh hysterically. OK, so that's what 14 year old girls do, but all of their parents were all sitting at another large table nearby, and paid absolutely no attention or mind to them, and didn't seem to care when a shriek caused half the restaurant to look.

Well OK, I thought, we're here, let's just eat and enjoy our dinner. We ordered drinks, I got a Tanq and Tonic and Ruthie ordered a Long Island. Unfortunately, the bar must have been running short on booze, because neither drink must have contained more than half a shot. So I'm pretty hungry, and get to to grab some salad from the salad bar (the only redeeming quality of RT's) and discover that half the toppings haven't been refilled in hours. No crutons, low on cheese, two of the types of lettuce were empty, several vegatables were empty, half the dressings were within a quarter inch of being empty, so I had to scoop like 6 times to get any on my plate.

I ate my salad (which wasn't horrible, probably because I was the one who made it) and our food soon arrived. I thought I'd celebrate and order the Triple Prime Burger, the one they keep showing in their commercials, where the guy eating it looks like he's getting a handjob under the table because he's so happy. The waitress set our food on the table and left, and I looked right at Ruthie and she said, "did you order off the kid's menu?" I seriously thought I was on candid camera. The burger was that small! It was honestly no larger than a plain cheeseburger from McDonald's.

The waitress did her job, there were no tomatoes on it, but I felt a little violated when I bit into it, and realized there was no cheese, no onions, no pickles, only a small leaf of brown-green lettuce with half a packet's worth of mayo. I asked for the burger to be done medium. I got a burger that was done medium well, edging into well-done, and dry. It was like eating a roll of Viva paper towels. The waitress was kind and brought me another cup of mayo, but it didn't help. I would have asked to send the burger back but we wanted to get the hell out of there ASAP.

Ruthie's chicken wasn't any better. It was a chicken breast covered in bacon, cheese, and barbeque sauce. Well, that sounds pretty good in theory, but then again, so does communism. She ate about a third of it, and offered me a bite. It was like eating pure sugar. I don't know what was in the barbecue sauce but the first twenty ingredients had to have been various types of sugar. Neither of us had another bite.

Well, the waitress was going nuts by this point dealing with the League of Annoying 8th Grade Sisterhood, so our bill arrived quickly. $49. I was in shock. They wanted me to pay $8.00 for Ruthie's Short-on-booze Island? $7.00 for a Tanq and Tonic? OK, I can see $15.00 for two drinks if you're a great restaurant, but when you're just TGI Friday's with a salad bar, don't insult me with an $8.00 Long Island. Now I'll gladly pay $2 extra for the salad bar (because it's not a bad salad bar), but if you're not going to keep it stocked and fresh, why should I pay what someone who got everything and lots of it did? Our entrees were the last point of disgust. Granted, we knew we were paying each about $11 for our entrees by themselves, but when I get a burger that the lowliest of fast-food joints puts to shame, I'm not happy.

At least the service was alright. Needless to say, we won't be back, and Ruby Tuesday's has lost customers for good.

Brian

Call mgr and explain situation. If he offers to comp you a meal on your next visit, I recommend that you ask for something in writing. Mgrs frequently change. Most restaurants are perfectly willing to make it up to you.

z06bigbird
07-08-07, 06:47 PM
If anything were to make a difference it would be a well written letter stating the facts with as little emotional embellishment as possible. With that they have something tangible and there is the greater possibility of them sending you a complimentary gift certificate for your trouble though you may be somewhat shy to use it....... you can give it to some one you don't like .... :eek:

I like that last sentence. Maybe I should send the original poster a hate letter. Then I get the gift cert. Dang, I am brilliant.

gdwriter
07-08-07, 07:15 PM
I've never been big fans of any of the chain restaurants; I much prefer to find a mom & pop hole in the wall with great food. Nancy introduce me to the wonders of Lebanese food at a great place in downtown Portland a couple of weeks ago.

illumina
07-08-07, 09:42 PM
I haven't had any problems at RT's, but I guess any given day...

When I am out on a date, or even with a friend, I specifically request not to be seated near children or school groups. There's nothing better to ruin the mood of a good date than to watch some toddler spit all over the place and then shit themselves and have to smell it and then watch the parents act like it's the cutest thing ever seen; it's happened before!

dkozloski
07-08-07, 09:59 PM
If you want good food, look for the meat and potatoes places where working men eat. There's one in Fairbanks that has been rated Five Star by Air France, Sam's Sourdough Cafe.

A lot of trucks at a truck stop means one of two things, it's got a lot of parking or the hash slinger has a nice ass.

The best restaurant food I ever ate in my life was in Las Banos, California. I just about had to crawl out on my hands and knees I was so full and the bill was less than $20. The cook had been head chef of a world famous San Francisco hotel restaurant, quit, and started his own place in the sticks to escape the rat race. The server brought the whole damn salad bar to your table so you could fix your own. They bought a wagon load of pasta and sauces for appetizers. The steak I ordered, lapped over the plate all the way around and I ate it with a fork. The beer was from a local microbrewery and was nectar for the gods. There were a lot of families and kids but the only sound you could hear was people slurping food and groaning from being as full as I was.

Chain restaurants serve crap.

Spyder
07-08-07, 11:10 PM
Hahaha...sounds like MY applebee's out here in California! We suck. Plain and simple, we are a horribly run restaurant. Our serving staff is actually pretty good but our managers, host staff and kitchen are incompetent in every aspect of the word. I could go on and on and on about stories of guests getting screwed at my restaurant. They keep coming back and they keep giving me money though...I never understand why and I never fail to tell them I wouldn't if I were them either. :)

Jonas McFeely
07-08-07, 11:57 PM
You been drinking again there Tim?

Nah, sober as a joke. I just got a mental image and i was seriously laughing my ass off.