Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Would you call 266 degrees oil temp excessive??

1K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Chef 
#1 ·
I went for a little run down the freeway last Sunday with my foot in it, about 82 degrees outside. When I got back, the oil temp was reading 266, and the little bar was about 3/4 of the way to the right end.

I'm driving a 04 with about 3500 (yes that's right) miles on it. The excessive oil temp alert came on briefly once a couple of weeks ago, but went away after I restarted the car.

The warranty is still in effect, and I don't to mess the car up.:eek: Is it time to go see the dealer??? What is the upper end for oil temp??

Thanks!

#2 ·
Find out if the recall has been done. There was initially an issue with high readings on oil temp.

In short, yes 266 is higher than you should see driving down the interstate, unless you were in 4th gear the whole time.

#5 ·
On the track, my '04 can reach upwards of 280 or so... But check that recall. There is a recalibration of the oil sensor that needs to be done on early model '04s. Sit in traffic on a hot day and that ding-ding-dong will go off before the recab.

#7 ·
I went for a little run down the freeway last Sunday with my foot in it, about 82 degrees outside. When I got back, the oil temp was reading 266, and the little bar was about 3/4 of the way to the right end.

I'm driving a 04 with about 3500 (yes that's right) miles on it. The excessive oil temp alert came on briefly once a couple of weeks ago, but went away after I restarted the car.

The warranty is still in effect, and I don't to mess the car up.:eek: Is it time to go see the dealer??? What is the upper end for oil temp??

Thanks!
I'm having the same problem. The other day I decided to turn the AC on because it was so hot sitting at traffic lights, and alert comes on immediately. Temp was about 290.
I guess it's time to introduce myself to the local dealership. I just get the funny feeling their going to be like, "what TSB?"

#13 ·
Good point about coolant temps and oil temps at cruising temps. Stock C5
LS1(intake and exhaust~400+ HP) is 190's for both at highway cruise. Saw 260 oil temps today at mid-ohio road course(210 coolant with no fans). If you keep the rpms up you'll see higher temps in both.

For those running boost or higher compression I'd look to lower temp thermo and a good tune including early fans.

Norm

#14 ·
Be sure to have the re-calibration done.
I had mine done, needs done again.
There was a second TSB, I see 310 -330+ every time (3rd or 4th session) at the track.
I just ignore it (now) since water temp seldome reaches 230 pyrometer temp on oil pan reads 220.
Oil typically 10 to 20 over water temps from what I have seen and read.

#15 ·
Be sure to have the re-calibration done.
I had mine done, needs done again.
There was a second TSB, I see 310 -330+ every time (3rd or 4th session) at the track.
I just ignore it (now) since water temp seldome reaches 230 pyrometer temp on oil pan reads 220.
Oil typically 10 to 20 over water temps from what I have seen and read.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.