Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Ashtray removal

Tags
install
2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  carl spackler 
#1 ·
I'm looking for some advice on how to remove the ashtray and climate control assembly to install something in place of the ashtray.

I've read the FAQ and it just states to remove the felt box, then remove the screw/bolt that's behind a recessed hole. Afterwards just pull on ashtray.

I tried this last night. Since the car is 5 days old I was afraid to pull too hard on the ashtray, but did give it a good try - to no avail.

Anyone have any more detailed instructions they can share about how to get this out? It looks like a number of folks have installed gauges, radio's, interfaces, etc. Is something different about an '07?

Thanks,
Tom

#3 ·
Are you talking about removing the ashtray from the HVAC console bezel? Or removing the whole bezel from the dash? If the first, I dont think the pivoting ashtray mechanism comes off of the bezel without modification of some kind. If the latter, after removing that screw, the whole bezel just pops off.

Caveat: when I was removing it, I had a bitch of a time. So I said F*** it, and yanked as hard as I could, and hit myself in the chest when it finally came free. Turns out, one of the compression clips had a tab bent back that was hanging on the edge of the opening. So that could be your problem.

And I never even put that screw back after replacing the bezel. Still in my tool bench.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.