: overheating problem

xthor24
07-06-07, 12:47 PM
hi, new to this site! i own a 97 cadillac deville. i recently had a small leak on the backside of the radiator on the metal fins caused from a rubbing fan due to a little front end damage. i used bars leaks radiator heavy duty stop leak. i followed the directions on the bottle and in hopes the hole was patched i drove off. my car started to overheat 3 miles down the freeway and now steam was spraying from the tiny leak in the radiator. got the car home and replaced the radiator; thermostat, and then fixed the fan rubbing problem. the fans come on but the car still overheats. we double checked the thermostat and water pump. still overheats. with the cars temp at 230 the pressure fill cap will be cold. any idea's what else might need to be done to avoid having the drain and flush the block?

i think the bar's stopleak may have clogged something?

xthor24
07-06-07, 03:45 PM
yeah my bad if i posted in the wrong area.. but problem solved.. turns out the brand new radiator that was purchaced was faulty.. the top hose was sealed allowing none of the water to exit the radiator... LOL what are the odds of that! too bad we blew the heater core while testing!

Ranger
07-06-07, 03:46 PM
The only Barlseaks you should use is the tabs (HDC) or the powdered version (G12BP). I would get a good flush, run it through and flush the system. Also check the purge line. You may have clogged it. If you don't know where it is or how to do it, do a search with the search button. It's pretty easy.