: 1991 Brougham transmission question

JRau
07-06-07, 06:10 AM
I'm wanting to service my transmission. Nothing wrong with it, I just want to change out the transmission fluid. I'm not sure, but I've heard you shouldn't flush the transmission, just simply drain the old and put in the new fluid. I don't want to do anything that would damage the transmission.

Can anyone help me out? I've got the 5.0 Litre engine, and I'm not sure which automatic transmission is attached, but it's all factory stock.

Thanks,

JRau

90Brougham350
07-06-07, 09:14 AM
Hey John, how's everything? You're spot on when you say you shouldn't flush the transmission. The two-bucket method is much safer. First the pan is lowered and the filter is changed. This does several quarts of fluid. New filter, pan is sealed. Next, the transmission cooler lines that run into the radiator are disconnected. Attach a piece of hose over the ends of each, long enough to reach the buckets. Two buckets, one empty, and one with fresh new fluid in it. Start the car and let the transmission pump pull the new fluid in and pump the old fluid out. When the fluid being pumped out looks clean, check the fluid level. You should be just about done. Top off accordingly and re-tighten everything. You're good to go!

Brian

Cadillac Giovanni
07-06-07, 04:02 PM
That is the preferred method. By the way JRau, I love that Caddy ad in your sig. It's totally true. I always look back at my car when I walk away from it, it's impossible to resist.

JRau
07-07-07, 04:58 PM
Thanks, Cadillac Giovanni. I love the old ads for Cadillac--the one in my signature is a '63 (my favorite year of Cadillacs). Ads today are so blah, I love the romantic ads of yesteryear.

JRau

JRau
07-07-07, 05:05 PM
Hey John, how's everything? You're spot on when you say you shouldn't flush the transmission. The two-bucket method is much safer. First the pan is lowered and the filter is changed. This does several quarts of fluid. New filter, pan is sealed. Next, the transmission cooler lines that run into the radiator are disconnected. Attach a piece of hose over the ends of each, long enough to reach the buckets. Two buckets, one empty, and one with fresh new fluid in it. Start the car and let the transmission pump pull the new fluid in and pump the old fluid out. When the fluid being pumped out looks clean, check the fluid level. You should be just about done. Top off accordingly and re-tighten everything. You're good to go!

Brian

Brian,

All's well! Job's going well. You must be getting pretty crazy with your upcoming wedding, eh?

I've got the Cadillac in Downers Grove with me, and believe it or not, there is a "Cruise Night" car show 4 nights out of 5 in all the little communities nearby Downers Grove. I've had mine at many shows now trying to sell it. Lots of strong bites, but so far, I've not been able to seal the deal yet. That's a bit frustrating. I've got a guy who'll buy it, but only will pay $3000 for it. I can tell he's just looking for a second car, not necessarily a Cadillac. I would like to sell it to someone who cares about cars, and can treat her right, know what I mean?

Thanks for the transmission info. I don't think I'll attempt the repair, but at least I know what to tell the mechanic--I don't want them flushing it out.

Good luck with the wedding plans, etc.

JRau

davedbusman
07-09-07, 12:06 AM
My service manual recommends also flushing the cooler in the radiator with a flush kit. Sludge accumulates in there.

96Fleetwood
07-09-07, 05:09 PM
. I've got a guy who'll buy it, but only will pay $3000 for it. I can tell he's just looking for a second car, not necessarily a Cadillac. I would like to sell it to someone who cares about cars, and can treat her right, know what I mean?

JRau

It is the mileage that is killing the sale. My father just bought his 1992 Brougham in Diplomat Blue with 99K miles for $2,500. It even has a nice E&G grill with factory cd player and top of the line Viper alarm/keyless/remote start.

These Broughams are worth BIG $$$ if they have under 50K miles but their value significantly drops when they topple over 100K miles... :(

There is a limited market for these cars.. it is either someone who will appreciate it as one of the last big GM RWD sedans...or someone who is going to put 20 inch wheels on it and a big stereo.

Goodluck with the sale! I still have yet to meet you... I might go to the DG cruise this coming Friday.