: Fuel Injector Problem I Think

aamusls06
07-05-07, 05:00 PM
Well, my car is having a problem. I believe that one of the fuel injector is malfunctioning. I'm getting the P119 code back which is saying open or shorted fuel injector. When it first began I'd only get the miss while going 35 to 45 mph. Now it becoming more frequent low torque situaitons or in the lower powerband. Just curious before I yank these injectors.

People also tell me that it could be just the injectors need cleaning. But I would doubt it from it only occuring in different ranges. It would actually point to a short.

My car is 1994 SLS with the N*. It has to have the cover to run, so I can't test it. Maybe someone could shine some light for me.

aamusls06
07-07-07, 03:29 PM
anybody? this is starting to turn into a real nightmare. my car is running terrible.

Ranger
07-07-07, 05:17 PM
Inspect the wiring harness and see if there is an obvious chaffed wire.

aamusls06
07-07-07, 06:54 PM
Inspect the wiring harness and see if there is an obvious chaffed wire.

Will do. The is too hot as of now, because I drove it to test drive some of the work I've done today. Runs somewhat better since I put plugs in, but there is still that miss. It's spitting while idling and vibrating and jerking in the low ranges. I found out also that it had a bad ground cable on it. I fixed that, but still no change in the jerking and spitting. I will look at the wiring harness under the beauty cover tommorow or tonight because I am tired of working on it today.

Ranger
07-07-07, 07:54 PM
Have you replaced the wires?

aamusls06
07-07-07, 09:46 PM
Yep even went AC Delco this time. Funny thing is that my p119 code has dissappeared, but the problem is still there. That throws me in the air. I sometimes hear the ISC clicking, but I thought it would be going crazy because the car is running crazy, so I don't know. I wouldn't thing that it would cause it to spit and sputter either. I can even hear it spitting and sputtering on take off, and then it runs fine until it gets to around 40mph and drops into 4th gear.s It's really beginning to be a pain. If it presists I might just buy another ISC and put it on. Ranger what do you think?

Ranger
07-07-07, 10:30 PM
ISC motor would cause erratic idle speed, not a misfire. Have you cleaned the TB, EGR and EGR "mouse holes" in the manifold? I wouldn't expect them to cause a misfire, but it can't hurt. Also pull the coils and look for any signs of arcing on the bottom. Listen to them with a stethoscope while at idle and listen for arcing. I would think if they where breaking down it would be under load, but I;m grasping at straws now. Also check the ICM connections (2 on each side of the ICM).

aamusls06
07-08-07, 02:30 PM
Well my p119 code reappeared this morning. I guess it just wasn't missing enough yesterday to trip the code. I'm going to check that harness like you said. Also just one more thing, are you talking about the harness that is located next to the map sensor on top. Another thing that has tipped me off is that in a search i was doing some reading on here and saw that someone had a pinched wire between the tranny and the block. I've had my transmission rebuilt because it went out a few months ago, but I can't seem to see any pinched wires. If I could find the wires to follow, I think I would be in business. I did have a slight miss in my motor when I got it back, but it was not as bad as it is now.

Ranger
07-08-07, 05:44 PM
Follow the wires from the injectors and trace then back.

aamusls06
07-08-07, 07:43 PM
Well, I checked the harness inside and those wire seemed fine, but on the outside is a different story. There is a set of wire that run from the inside of the motor some to the outside. They are naked and the insulation seems to be melting away from them. I taped them and things seemed to get a little better, but did not go away. I'm going to buy some wire and a crimper and rewire the harness with new wire. I could only follow it so far before you can't see it anymore, but it seems to be fine except for the part that is over the transmission.

Ranger
07-08-07, 08:16 PM
I think you have found your problem.

aamusls06
07-10-07, 10:09 AM
alright new problem. i was going to rewire the harness but noticed that the whole deal is cooked. well, i called bud davis cadillac this morning, and he told me that the part is discontinued. my next option would be to get one from a salvage yard, but i'd suspect it could be cooked like mines. anybody know where i can get this new or would the salvage yard be a good look? my car once again is a 1994 Cadillac SLS N*

Ranger
07-10-07, 09:04 PM
Try http://gmotors.com. Hard to believe it is discontinued.

aamusls06
07-11-07, 08:54 AM
No Luck when I contacted these guys. They say it's been discontinued. He told me my best bet is a salvage yard.