: AC Dripping

sunris1965
07-05-07, 10:18 AM
Hi All, I am new to this forum but it looks like it will be a great one to be apart of. I have a question. I have a 2006 SRX and I love it, but it's been in the shop twice because the air conditioner is dripping inside the car on my driver foot. This first time it went in they said they drained a pipe and it should be fine. This time they are saying that they don't know what is causing it and that they can't reproduce it. So I get in the car this morning and drive to work and there is goes...dripping on my foot. Anyone else experience this?

john d
07-05-07, 11:59 PM
My daughter always set her Honda a/c on recirculating due to outside fumes.
With no postive air pressure in the evaporator box the drain for condesation would plug with dirt/dust etc and overflow on to the inside floor.
I would set the a/c to fresh air intake (normal) and use my shop vac on the drain hose that hung down underneath the car from the evaporator box. There would be this plugged vac hose sound and then with a big flubing/thunking sound dislodge the dirt plug and drain the water.
This was needed about once every six months.
Didn't have to take anything apart.
Hope your drips are as easy to fix.

ewill3rd
07-06-07, 08:27 AM
The TXV (thermal expansion valve) is located directly above your foot.
If water is dripping on your foot it is likely that the "wrap" around the TXV is damaged, improperly installed, or missing.
There is a piece of black tape (for lack of a better term) that wraps around the valve and pipes to keep the condensation inside.
It sounds like someone has been working on it.
That is really the only way it could make it to your foot.
Everything else should go down through the drain in the floor.

stockup
07-06-07, 09:31 AM
Go to a wholesale HVAC place or maybe Lowes or Home depot has it and get a roll of cork tape. It is really gummy and will stick to about anything and wrap your expansion valve or apply where you see condensate building up. The clunk of junk you get when sucking out the water with the vacuum is usually algea or green mold that will grow fast in wet climes like your evaporater. They do make little pads to place in the drain pan to eliminate this, but they are designed for home and commercial applications and might be hard to get in the drain pan. They look like an ant trap, but are filled with a solid bleach type substance formulated for just this purpose. Again, if you can get one in there, you will have to go to a HVAC shop or store, but it will stop the growth for at least a year.

Dan