: 1980 Fleetwood Electrical Problems

Wheelman322
07-05-07, 12:38 AM
As many probably read, I picked up an 80 FWB Coupe off Ebay last week. I noticed on the trip coming back that the "Generator" light was flickering on and off. It seemed that when the light is on, the car is charging fine, but when the light is off, the headlight, dashlights and all other accesories seemed to lose voltage. The alternator and battery are brand new, so i'm wondering what was overlooked. I remember my grandmothers 79 had the same problem, but I was very young at the time and can't recall how it was remedied.
On a seemingly unrelated issue, the front parking lights, cornering lights, opera lights, ac blower motor and horn do not work. I don't have the owners manual handy, so i'm not sure if it is a fuse issue or something else.

The Ape Man
07-05-07, 01:42 PM
Time to take 2 aspirin and poke around under the dash. #1 problem with in-op blowers on these cars is the block temperature switch located on the passenger side cylinder head near the firewall. The switch is supposed to be normally open until the engine warms up some. Jump it to ground for a test. #2 is the blower relay socket terminals cook and melt the plastic mold. Look at the fuse panel for this beastie. I described this in detail on this board some time ago. Alternator field might be fed through the GEN lamp. A bad connection at the 2 prong plug on the alternator might be a place to look. A missing or damaged engine to chassis ground could also do this. Don't assume a shiny new alternator works. Defective crap can be a great time waster.
Your problems could be different from these. Just a few little suggestions.
Congratulations on your superb taste in automobiles.

Wheelman322
07-05-07, 11:07 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll do some poking around on Sunday and let you know how I make out. As far as my taste in Auto's is concerned, I am in love with this 80 FWB. I can't wait to get the few minor bugs worked out and enjoy long Weekend cruises. I drove it back from PA at about 80mph the whole way and it rode like a dream. Very few disappointments with this one.

The Ape Man
07-07-07, 12:04 PM
As you know the 1980 2 door Fleetwood is the rarest of them all from this era. Your options make the thing even rarer. No compuker under the dash either!
That 368 is one very fuel stingy engine if working properly. I'm currently driving mine 300 miles a week.

Wheelman322
07-08-07, 06:45 AM
As you know the 1980 2 door Fleetwood is the rarest of them all from this era. Your options make the thing even rarer. No compuker under the dash either!
That 368 is one very fuel stingy engine if working properly. I'm currently driving mine 300 miles a week.

Yeah, I was wondering how I could pull production numbers for it. I noticed my highway mileage is incredible. I filled the tank when we left PA, and 150 miles later I still had 3/4 left. I was convinced the gauge was broken. I realized it wasn't as soon as I hit the city though, lol.

Wheelman322
07-10-07, 10:06 AM
Yeah, I was wondering how I could pull production numbers for it....

I looked it up in the Cadillac History Book(AKA: My Bible) and read only 2500 FWB Coupes were produced in 1980. I'm wondering how many were with the D'elegance package?