: I just bought a dinosaur...

JimHare
07-04-07, 11:09 PM
Been looking for a mid 90s full-size wagon for a while now as a 3rd car/hauler/winter beater. Had a $1500 budget though, and most of the Caprice/Roadmaster/Vistacruiser crowd, in decent shape, were going for 3 grand and up...

Managed to get this one on eBay earlier today. '93 Caprice, white, blue cloth interior, LT1 motor, seems in pretty good shape. Whaddaya think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=015&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=250137024145&rd=1,1

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-04-07, 11:43 PM
Cool, a Caprice wagon, and a woody on top of that. I'm pretty sure the Roadmasters are the most common of the three, and that's a good thing, because in my book, rare is good. It looks like it's in great shape overall, and those pillow top "classic" seats look so comfortable. Just an FYI, but that's the Throttle Body 350, not the LT-1, that didn't come out until 1994. But the TBI is no slouch either, GOBS of low end torque!

Destroyer
07-05-07, 12:01 AM
Yup, not an LT1. An ok buy I suppose but I looked at a '92 Roadmaster woody wagon w/111k before I bought my van that was for sale for $2800 and the owner called to tell me she would accept my offer of $1500. I may take it just for shits and giggles and try to sell it for a few bucks more. Before I do I'm looking at a 72 Monte Carlo tomorrow with a fresh 454 thats under $3k. Lets see what happens.

Wheelman322
07-05-07, 12:04 AM
Great Find IMO. I rarely see the wood trim on the Caprice Wagons...usually solid paint schemes. Looks well kept too. Good luck.

JimHare
07-05-07, 06:42 AM
Just an FYI, but that's the Throttle Body 350, not the LT-1, that didn't come out until 1994. But the TBI is no slouch either, GOBS of low end torque!

Stand corrected. The listing said "5.7L motor", so I assumed it was the LT1..not a biggie - we're not racing it.. :)

Red_October_7000
07-05-07, 10:10 PM
Not bad at all!
In my area the Roadmasters and Caprices seem to be about equal in distribution and the rarest of all is the Vista Cruiser, I see them only about once every 6 months or so; they seem to be quite rare. I take it there was no Oldsmobile sedan on the B-platform? Making one out of Vista Cruiser parts and, say, a Roadmaster, would be interesting, sorta like the reverse of all the Cadillac staion wagons people whipped up over the years.

EcSTSatic
07-06-07, 07:42 AM
That's a very clean wagon! I've thought often about replacing my Aerostar with one. I need to tow my 26' sailboat occasionally and haul things to and fro. I've got an old 1/2 ton Dodge van for the dirty work.
It must be much more stable than my slab sided minivan in a crosswind. If the towing capacity and mileage were comparable I'd go for one.:thumbsup:

http://pages.prodigy.net/fremin/Garage/images/Sailing/Cuivienen.jpg

96Fleetwood
07-06-07, 09:39 AM
Nice wagon!

I was looking for a nice '91 and up wagon but couldn't find anything rust free...

So I ended up buying this nice 1986 Safari wagon, 1 owner, garage kept, with every record.. for $950 (I put upgraded the wheels/tires):

http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j69/leloz/Image470.jpg

I am still looking for a newer wagon, but still can't find anything as clean as my 1986, which is a requirement for me to even consider replacing it.

pimpin88
07-06-07, 11:23 AM
That's a very clean wagon! I've thought often about replacing my Aerostar with one. I need to tow my 26' sailboat occasionally and haul things to and fro. I've got an old 1/2 ton Dodge van for the dirty work.
It must be much more stable than my slab sided minivan in a crosswind. If the towing capacity and mileage were comparable I'd go for one.:thumbsup:

http://pages.prodigy.net/fremin/Garage/images/Sailing/Cuivienen.jpg

I believe the pre '94s were rated for 5000lbs with the towing package later ones 8000lbs? Mileage is pretty good too.

EcSTSatic
07-06-07, 11:51 AM
I believe the pre '94s were rated for 5000lbs with the towing package later ones 8000lbs? Mileage is pretty good too.

That's well within the ability to tow my boat. it has water ballast so I leave about 1200 lbs in the lake when I pull it out. My Aero gets 17 city and 22-24 highway mpg. The wagons probably do that much and with more comfort I'm sure.

EcSTSatic
07-06-07, 12:39 PM
I love the cruiser look of these models

http://www.capriceshop.com/wagons.htm

There's an LT1 on eBay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1994-CHEVROLET-CAPRICE-CLASSIC-WAGON-LT-1-ONE-OWNER_W0QQitemZ150139333991QQihZ005QQcategoryZ6162 QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Benzilla
07-06-07, 01:29 PM
Cool! I don't know why, but I love those. But, if it was an Oldsmobile you'd get extra cool points. Still a great find.

z06bigbird
07-06-07, 03:08 PM
Yup, not an LT1. An ok buy I suppose but I looked at a '92 Roadmaster woody wagon w/111k before I bought my van that was for sale for $2800 and the owner called to tell me she would accept my offer of $1500. I may take it just for shits and giggles and try to sell it for a few bucks more. Before I do I'm looking at a 72 Monte Carlo tomorrow with a fresh 454 thats under $3k. Lets see what happens.

For ghits and siggles?? I guess I am out of the loop. Oh, well, life is tough.

96Fleetwood
07-06-07, 05:31 PM
Yup, not an LT1. An ok buy I suppose but I looked at a '92 Roadmaster woody wagon w/111k before I bought my van that was for sale for $2800 and the owner called to tell me she would accept my offer of $1500.

Was it in good shape? I would buy it for $1,500 and sell mine if it was in good shape :thumbsup: Lemme know!!

Stoneage_Caddy
07-06-07, 11:09 PM
yeah a 94 olds vista with a injected 403 or 455 would be the cats ass

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-06-07, 11:34 PM
I'd love to see somebody take a Roadmaster sedan and "Vista" it. Out of the three wagons offered then, I always thought the Custom Cruisers were the best looking, inside and out, plus, I like Olds more than Buick and Chevy, but I always thought it was dumb how Olds never offered a B body sedan, just the wagon. Maybe you could take a Roadmaster and put the Olds front clip on it and the olds style taillights and interior, but that'd be a lot of money/time.

JimHare
07-07-07, 08:11 PM
Well, the old Bronto-wagon has 75 more miles on it than when I picked it up earlier today.

It's in great shape for 144K - there's a tiny spot of surface rust at the forward edge of the right rear wheel well, but it looks very sandable and repairable. Even the underbody looks pretty good, which is rare for any car in the Northeast thats 14 years old. Paint is in great shape, a bit of decal peeling here and there but I'm not entering car shows with it so it's not a big deal.

The seats are comfortable so far, I just have to get used to climbing in and then having to adjust the butt cheeks a bit - no "slide" like you get on the Caddy leather.. LOL

The motor feels strong, it fires right up, no ticking or other noises. The valve covers are a bit grimy, but I'm gonna clean the engine off tomorrow and try to see better if there are any leaks or not. Do a fluid and filter change all around so I have a clean slate to start with. What kind of oil should I use?...LOL.

The upholstery inside is perfect, not a rip or tear or cig burn or anything. Only thing loose is the left pass window switch looks like it popped out of the holder..

It does 'float' a bit going down the road, which takes a bit of getting used to after the Eldo's feel.

Missing one center cap on the wire hubcaps. Anybody got one?...:)

I like the fact that the third seat just folds down out of the way and leaves you a nice flat floor back there. I was thinking the seat had to be pulled out, like it was in my Suburban.

Even the radio clock works.

For $1600 bucks, I think I did OK....

96Fleetwood
07-12-07, 04:55 PM
Do you have the rear air suspension?

If you want to firm up the ride, you can add a set of Monroe Severe Service shocks to the front and then put some heavy duty Monroe load leveler air shocks in the rear.

I just got back from a 300 mile round trip drive in my '86... it will take one heck of a nice '91 and up wagon for me to replace it.

Take care and goodluck with your wagon! :thumbsup: