: Jacking Points

04srxmrv8
07-04-07, 06:48 PM
I'm about to put new rotors/pad on my 04' and I was curious as to where other users are jacking up the car. The front cross-member looks like a safe bet, but I don't want to pick up the rear by the diff?

Any suggestions for those of us not fortunate enough to own a lift?:rolleyes:

BMBLBEE
07-06-07, 08:10 AM
Even with a lift you need to get the wheels off. I use a floor jack with a hockey puck in the lifting cradle and lift just to the inside of the ridge where the stock jacking points are. You will need to make sure you can get jack stands under the car after the wheels are off and I would guess you should use the stock jacking points for the jack stands.

King3244
07-07-07, 08:17 PM
Hockey puck??..........lol! Go Flames Go!

john d
07-08-07, 12:25 AM
Any reason to NOT elevate using a floor jack at the points closest to the wheel under the lower control arms and then using jack stands at the factory recommended lifting locations?

ewill3rd
07-08-07, 05:14 PM
Using a floor jack to raise the tire, you'll want to get under the lower control arm on the front.
As stated, the best thing is to raise it where you want it and then install jack stands under the frame at a suitable location.
The pinch weld flanges on SRX are not very sturdy so try to avoid those if you can.
The "pucks" that were spoken of are a good idea but not really necessary on SRX. I use them on XLRs for clearance and they work great.

04srxmrv8
07-08-07, 05:39 PM
Using a floor jack to raise the tire, you'll want to get under the lower control arm on the front.
As stated, the best thing is to raise it where you want it and then install jack stands under the frame at a suitable location.
The pinch weld flanges on SRX are not very sturdy so try to avoid those if you can.
The "pucks" that were spoken of are a good idea but not really necessary on SRX. I use them on XLRs for clearance and they work great.

I had the "pucks" in my C5, but it was easy to pick-up by the front and rear subframes as there were cross-members easily visible.

I see one on the SRX up front, but the back doen't have anything sturdy enough I think to pick up the whole rear by. I think I am going to pick up the back a wheel at a time, then up with the front.

This is all assuming the dealer doen't buy back my "certified" used cadillac with water in the back, no nav dvd, bad alignment, bad brakes, and a leaking power steering pump back. We will see how that goes tomorrow:want: In the shop 12 of 20 days of ownership and counting:rant2: (Sorry off-topic)