: Alignment Question

MARKVIII
07-04-07, 01:14 PM
i have had my STS for about two weeks now and i love it. the car rides smooth like glass, however i notice it drifts slightly toward the right. there are no shakes or vibrations just a slight drift when i let go of the wheel. my question is should i spend the $50 to get it aligned or just ignore it.
thanks again for your help

dkozloski
07-04-07, 02:29 PM
I'd have it checked just for peace of mind if nothing else.

ewill3rd
07-04-07, 09:07 PM
Pull over into the left lane and see if it "drifts" left.
Most people don't realize that "road crown" plays a role in how straight the car drives.
Most roads are raised in the center to help water runoff in rainy conditions.
The crown of the road will cause the car to push to one side.
As I said on a multi lane highway you can check this by driving in a left lane.

Typically an alignment condition that is mild will not be noticable until the tire wears, the tire wear will then cause the pull, lead, or drift.
(unless the steering wheel is off center)

If the car still drifts right on a left crown have it checked out.

MARKVIII
07-05-07, 08:07 AM
thanks .. that sounds resonable..will do on the way to work.

Davidstan
07-05-07, 05:12 PM
Most people don't realize that "road crown" plays a role in how straight the car drives.
Most roads are raised in the center to help water runoff in rainy conditions.
The crown of the road will cause the car to push to one side.
As I said on a multi lane highway you can check this by driving in a left lane.

Typically an alignment condition that is mild will not be noticable until the tire wears, the tire wear will then cause the pull, lead, or drift.
(unless the steering wheel is off center)

Ewill, My steering wheel is like one eighth of an inch from being perfect on center. My dealer (since new) has aligned it twice, once fron being 1 inch off one way then he overcorrected the other way, finally getting it close. I'm very anal. Is this acceptable since it does not appear to be pulling one way?
Thx!

ewill3rd
07-05-07, 08:03 PM
The wheel can easily be off center and getting it there is not really easy.
It depends on the equipment they are using to align it.
All the specs can be right on the money but if the steering wheel moves when they set the toe, it will be off even though the toe in measurements are correct.
It is harder for some guys to center it than it is for others.
We have some pretty nice gear and an anal retentive alignment guy. He is pretty picky when it comes to centering the wheel.
All you can do is get them to try again really.
Have you seen the machine they are using? Does it look high tech or 50 years old?

Davidstan
07-05-07, 08:13 PM
Their's is a high tech one and they have one guy that most all he does is alignment. I wasnt sure if i was just being picky and should i forget about it as operationally maybe it does not make a difference in ride and wear. Thx btw for being so helpful to us.

cadillac_tech
07-11-07, 12:51 AM

Most people don't realize that ruts in the road also have a major affect. Try driving in both sides of one lane. With tire width and steering geometry varying from model to model, some will ride up the ruts worse than others. In other words, pull right in the right side of the lane and left in the left side of the lane, and since most drivers are consistently to one side or the other, ......
On the wheel center issue....,you're probably too anal ( spec is 3 degrees +/- center). However, you are the customer and it is very easy to adjust either way. I have a couple of customers that I swear have their heads on crooked.

MARKVIII
07-11-07, 07:38 AM
Well found the problem today. It seems the person who i bought the car from had tire's rotated and there were two differant tire sizes on the front and the back. so i brought it in to have all the tires put back in there proper places and the car rides fine with no drifting to the right. case closed!

ewill3rd
07-11-07, 08:29 AM
Yeah, there's that too! LOL
Glad they found the problem.