: My grandmother...

Wheelman322
07-03-07, 05:37 PM
I know it sounds corny, but my grandmother passed away Sunday afternoon and I'm just posting this as a little tribute to her because she began by obsession with the 77-79 FWB/Devilles. She owned a 79 SDV which she gave to me when I was 12 years old. She left the registration and insurance in her name and let me do whatever I wanted with the car. I foolishly let it go when I was 16, and always regretted it. RIP gram, i'll miss you.:(

Kev
07-03-07, 05:39 PM
Corny or not, you go! Nuthin wrong with honoring your grandmother! :thumbsup:

God bless her!

urbanski
07-03-07, 05:50 PM
sry dude :(

gary88
07-03-07, 06:34 PM
Sorry to hear about that, my grandma's not in great shape either.

Destroyer
07-03-07, 07:14 PM
All my grandparents were dead by the time I was 8 years old, so at least you have more memories of yours than I do mine. In May a good friend of mine died, he was 76 y/o and he drove a mint '84 Eldorado w/35k. So I'll honor another fallen Cadillac man here too. Sorry to hear about your loss. :emo:

Kev
07-03-07, 07:54 PM
I'm very blessed to have good memories of my paternal grandmother and doubly blessed to still have my maternal grandmother. She will be 93 this Halloween.

I think of the grandmother I lost often and I take every opportunity to spend time with the one I still have.

It is said that children are a gift from God, I believe also that parents and grandparents are gifts as well.

I am sorry for your loss.

ewill3rd
07-03-07, 08:25 PM
I have lost lots of grandparents, the two I loved the most not really long ago.
My Grandmother most recently and she was very special to me.
I am sorry for your loss and I wish the best to you and your family.

My Gram was 86 and very ill. I miss her every year on our birthday, I was born on her 50th birthday and I was her only grandson so we had a pretty special bond. We celebrated together only a few times because my dad was USAF and we were always too far away, but our special day meant the world to us, and it still does to me.

God bless all the Grandmothers everywhere, I mean where would we all be without them?

CIWS
07-03-07, 08:26 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your recent loss. May God grant her and your family peace.

RightTurn
07-03-07, 08:27 PM
Wheelman--my sincerest sympathy to you and your family. Sorry for the loss of your sweet Grandma.

LS1Mike
07-03-07, 09:50 PM
Prayers for your family man. It is sad to lose grandparents even though you know it is coming
I have no grandparents left. I lost everyone of them while in the Navy and underway. I didn't get to go to any of their funerals.

I have very good memories of my Great Grandma Lane, we used to go for rides in her bright yellow Pontiac station wagon.

dkozloski
07-03-07, 10:08 PM
It's great being a grand and great-grandparent. The best part is that come evening the little crumb snatchers all go somewhere else. You also get to remind your kids of the mothers and fathers curse; "I hope you have a housefull of kids just like you".

Highline Cady
07-03-07, 10:14 PM
Sorry man, good luck to you and your family.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-03-07, 11:20 PM
My condolences sir. Both of my parent's moms have died. My dad's mom died back in 1969 when he was 12, so obviously, I never met her, but my mom's mom died back when I was 10, in 1997. And like you, my grandmother started my obsession with land yachts, as a kid, I can remember riding with her and my grandpa in her 1992 Roadmaster Limited...just like mine but three years older and a lighter shade of red. The reason I didn't say "both my grand mothers" is because my dad's dad remarried back in 1980 and his wife, my dad's step mom, is alive and well, and I can't honestly say that "both my grandmas have died" if the only one I know on my dad's side of the family is alive and well.

Kev
07-03-07, 11:36 PM
..... And like you, my grandmother started my obsession with land yachts, as a kid, I can remember riding with her and my grandpa in her 1992 Roadmaster Limited...just like mine but three years older and a lighter shade of red. .....I remember a Lincoln that my grandparents had, it was dark, early 60's with suicide rear doors. My brother and I would fight over who got to sit on the special little 'booster seat' in the middle of the back! (the fold down arm rest of course)

Then, years later my grandmother bought that 70 Monte Carlo SS 454 .....

Ah, good times ..... good times .....

BigJon
07-04-07, 12:44 AM
sorry to hear about your loss my grandma means a lot to me to she basicly my mom so i understand the loss my prayers go out to you and your fam..

pabstcadillac
07-04-07, 01:00 AM
Wheelman--my sincerest sympathy to you and your family. Sorry for the loss of your sweet Grandma.

Eloquently put.

93DevilleUSMC
07-04-07, 03:26 AM
God Bless your Grandma, sir. I'm sorry for your loss.

dkozloski
07-04-07, 03:50 AM
As strange as it may seem, after the loss of a loved one it may be hard to remember exactly what they looked like. The answer is to remember them in context. Think of a favorite place or activity and they will come alive in your mind. As long as they are in your memory it's like they never left. I'm the last surviving member of my family but I still enjoy moments of the past with my Mom, Dad, and Sister. God bless you and your Grandmother.

Wheelman322
07-04-07, 11:13 AM
Just wanted to say Thanks so much for posting on this thread. All of your comments put a smile on my face. Further proof that this websight is awesome. As a toddler I would choose to go over my grandmothers instead of trips with my family. She always nurtured my car obsession and we would spend hours visiting different car dealerships checking out the new rides. I lived with her for three years after my parents got divorced back in the late 80's and I would visit her on an almost daily basis from ages 12-23. I'll always remember her favorites were the Cadillac Broughams and the Buick Roadmaster Wagons. All of my friends and girl friends knew and loved my grandmother. You couldn't stop by her house for 2 minutes without being offered a full course meal. We would talk about everything and if I ever had any real problems, I could always count on her to help me out, or offer me a word of advice. In 2003 her health started declining and my father placed her in a nursing home. I didn't go to visit her as often because I couldn't stand seeing her that way. She wasn't able to attend my wedding this year which also made me sad. My grandmother will be missed very much, but I have no regrets.

CADIMAC52
07-04-07, 11:44 AM
May she rest in peace.

gdwriter
07-04-07, 12:56 PM
Wheelman, sorry to hear about your grandmother. It's always hard to lose somebody you love. I get to watch my parents be grandparents to my sisters' kids, and it's a joy to watch. They're so good at it.

I still have one grandmother who's 88 and a step-grandmother who's 85. Gram is in assisted living, and according to my Dad and Uncle, she's slowly, but steadily declining. But I was able to spend time with her as an adult when her health was still good, and I have some good memories. My step-grandmother is slowing down a bit, but she's still pretty active and living in the house my grandfather built. She's online, and we exchange e-mails every so often.

I definitely didn't get any of my car love from my grandparents, although before I was born, my Mom's mother had a '57 Chevy Bel Air convertible, which she traded for a '62 Impala convertible. After that was totaled, she had a '67 Mercury Monterey convertible. I remember that car. There was a big hill on the way to our house in New Hampshire, and I was always afraid I'd fall out of the back seat going up that hill if she had the top down (5 year-old-logic, you know). Sadly, her last car was a hideous gold '71 Plymouth Fury II that was a POS when it was only a few years old.

My Dad's Mom drove the archtypical grandma car—a beige '72 Plymouth Valiant with a slant six. On one of those vacations from hell that every family goes through at least once, my Dad was tired of driving, so Gram volunteered to take over (I was 14 and my Mom had already returned separately). We had a '70 Chevrolet station wagon with a 350, and we were pulling a trailer.

Gram must have had the gas pedal at least halfway down because the car started with a roar. She didn't let up when she put it in Drive. More than likely she floored it, because that car peeled out back onto the interstate. I thought my Dad was going to sh*t a brick.

I think that's the last time my Dad ever asked Gram to drive.

For even better grandmother car stories, Blaze (YouBetcha77) had a hilarious thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/51363-grambo-grandma-funny-story-1-a.html)about his grandmother and her cars.

Benzilla
07-04-07, 12:59 PM
Wheelman, really sorry to hear about that. She sounds like a special lady.

I haven't had any grand parents since I was eight. Both of my grandfathers died before I was born, grandmother on my Dad's side died of cancer when I was two. Grandmother on my Mother's side died in a nursing home when I was eight. But as others mentioned, my grandmothers played a roll in the cars I like. My Dad's mother drove a white '77 Caprice Classic that my Dad got in her will. My Mother's Mother still drove around my Grandfather's '84 Cutlass Supreme coupe. Then in the early '90s my cousin bought it and drove it to college, after that I bought it in 2001 and still have it.

77CDV
07-06-07, 01:31 AM
Nothing corny about it. My condolences on your loss.