: Cannot go faster than 105MPH

mkailley
07-03-07, 03:02 PM
I have a 07 STS V8, i bought it in California. One day I decided to open up the throtle to see what the car can do. I put the petal to the ground, exceleration was exellent, smooth, with not problems

Right as I hit 104-105 MPH and 4500 ~ 5000 RPM, my engine started to loose power, and would only maintain enought power to go 105 MPH. It was like it was being starved of gas.

A buddy of mine tells me that California, and other states require some type of Emmissions chip to be installed that keeps your emisions, and speed down.

Anyone know anything about this?

If this is the case, i dont live in California anymore, so how do i get this thing removed?

Buzz48317
07-03-07, 03:37 PM
I have a 07 STS V8, i bought it in California. One day I decided to open up the throtle to see what the car can do. I put the petal to the ground, exceleration was exellent, smooth, with not problems

Right as I hit 104-105 MPH and 4500 ~ 5000 RPM, my engine started to loose power, and would only maintain enought power to go 105 MPH. It was like it was being starved of gas.

A buddy of mine tells me that California, and other states require some type of Emmissions chip to be installed that keeps your emisions, and speed down.

If this is the case, i dont live in California anymore, so how do i get this thing removed?

Maybe I'm high, but I recall reading somewhere that this is more in line with what tires the car has on it. Like the speed rating of the tires has something to do with how fast the manufacturer will allow the car to go. I'd start at the local Caddy dealership, they may be able to give you some guidence.

bigdog9586
07-03-07, 04:45 PM
The speed of a car is govened by the speed rating on your car. If you get Z rated tires you can have the computer chip reprogramed to the 149+ mph. Good luck at that speed on most American roads.

mkailley
07-03-07, 09:13 PM
I have Champiro 328 GT tires, 2R20.

I have no idea what all those numbers mean, is it Z rated?

Force-1
07-03-07, 09:26 PM
Per Car and Driver, 2005 STS V8:

ACCELERATION: Seconds
Zero to 30 mph: 2.3
40 mph: 3.3
50 mph: 4.6
60 mph: 6.0
70 mph: 7.7
80 mph: 9.7
90 mph: 12.2
100 mph: 15.7
110 mph: 19.6
120 mph: 24.1
130 mph: 29.7
Street start, 5-60 mph: 6.3
Top-gear acceleration, 30-50 mph: 3.4
50-70 mph: 4.1
Standing 1/4-mile: 14.6 sec @ 97 mph
Top speed (drag limited): 154 mph

dkozloski
07-03-07, 09:53 PM
If your speed is being limited by the PCM you'll get a message on your DIC.

z06bigbird
07-04-07, 10:13 AM

Couple of questions for you:

1. Are you trying to kill yourself?
2. Are you trying to kill others (innocently) traveling along same public highway?
3. If you do kill or maime someone else, are you willing to pay all (including financial) consequences?
4. How far is the closest race track or drag strip?
5. Are you older than 18?
6. Are you on something?
7. Will you encourage your kids to get involved in similar behavior? Maybe, with your example, they will not need specific instructions.

Sorry for beating you up, but every once in a while, some posts an article about some teenager wrecking a car at high speed. Then we all join in for prayers. We all then point out how intelligent that teen was.

Something to think about.

See you in the emergency room.

rb92gt
07-04-07, 11:02 AM
Z06bigbird,
Please tell me that you do not own a Z06... for the love of g-d.

z06bigbird
07-04-07, 12:28 PM
Whoops. Forgot about that. Long story.
Bought an 02 red Z with 1,600 miles on it for my son in Germany (his $$).
Former owner was going into hosp and fearing death.
Gave owner down payment and signed a purchase contract.
Forrmer owner gets out of hosp, calls me, says he will live and wants to cancel contract.
Son says: Tear up contract.
Former owner gets new lease on life and gets car back.

This happened over a 3 week period. We gave it up because I would have had to store car, insure it, drive it regularly, etc. Son will not return until July 08.

I grew up in a family that was involved with motorcyles, race cars and tracks, and airplanes. I enjoy going 150 mph, except I do it in an airplane.

I guess I was feeling my oats this am when I beat this guy up.

z06bigbird
07-04-07, 03:31 PM
Z06bigbird,
Please tell me that you do not own a Z06... for the love of g-d.

Results of high speed driving on public roads.

Police probe wreck that killed two on I-240 Midtown
Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print By Chris Conley
Contact
July 3, 2007
Memphis police traffic detectives are continuing their investigation of a Monday crash on Interstate 240 that killed two people.
Tracy Whiting, 34, of Sardis, Miss., and a rear-seat passenger in his vehicle died after the 2002 BMW he was driving skidded off the roadway about 2:45 a.m. Monday, struck a sign pole, a guardrail, and a streetlight pole.

All three people inside were thrown clear of the vehicle before it came to rest against several trees at the Person Avenue overpass.
Witnesses told police that two vehicles, the BMW followed by a Chevrolet Corvette, passed them speeding southward. As the BMW approached a truck on the road, it swerved and spun out of control.

The Corvette continued south, witnesses said.

The identity of the second person killed was being withheld until a positive identification could be made.

The third occupant of the BMW remained in critical condition at the Regional Medical Center at Memphis Tuesday afternoon.

ewill3rd
07-04-07, 09:02 PM
The car is designed that way, they are all designed that way, they have been designed that way for a long time.
There is no magic "chip" that you can replace. It is software controlled and some folks can modify it but a dealer can't really do it and even more likely, won't.

It is a free country, be nutty if you want, please do it in California that way I won't have to worry about driving here in Virginia. Try not to take anybody with you when you go. ;)

(just poking fun, don't take it too seriously)

evaccaro
07-04-07, 09:10 PM
I enjoy going 150 mph, except I do it in an airplane.

I knew there was something I liked about you. Nothing better than excellent manueverability in 3 dimensions at 300+ knots. I've always said that you can't appreciate G's until you experience them in whole numbers! :thumbsup:

Cajonkev
07-05-07, 04:12 PM
I knew there was something I liked about you. Nothing better than excellent manueverability in 3 dimensions at 300+ knots. I've always said that you can't appreciate G's until you experience them in whole numbers! :thumbsup:

And both Positive and Negative preferably while inverted...:spin:

Blue Skies

mkailley
07-06-07, 04:40 PM
Everyone needs to calm down, Im not planning on going that fast on a hwy, and dont even plan on driving 100MPH on any public road.

I took my car down to the drag strip, and i wanna show off my car. It's got the guts under the hood, but it's being limited.

it's a simple concept, i wanna see how fast it goes,

Curious George
07-13-07, 01:30 AM
Couple of questions for you:

1. Are you trying to kill yourself?
2. Are you trying to kill others (innocently) traveling along same public highway?
3. If you do kill or maime someone else, are you willing to pay all (including financial) consequences?
4. How far is the closest race track or drag strip?
5. Are you older than 18?
6. Are you on something?
7. Will you encourage your kids to get involved in similar behavior? Maybe, with your example, they will not need specific instructions.

Sorry for beating you up, but every once in a while, some posts an article about some teenager wrecking a car at high speed. Then we all join in for prayers. We all then point out how intelligent that teen was.

Something to think about.

See you in the emergency room.

Worthy sentiments, but :Offtopic:.

Getting back to the subject at hand: The factory programmed your car's PCM for a maximum speed determined by the speed rating of the tires the factory fitted to your car. The common speed ratings are:

* S (can sustain continuous road speeds up to 112 MPH or 180 KPH)
* T (up to 118 MPH or 190 KPH)
* H (up to 130 MPH or 210 KPH--this is the rating of STS base tires)
* V (up to 149 MPH or 240 KPH)
* Z (the sky's the limit--this is the rating of 1SG and PHP tires)

A tire's speed rating is generally incorporated into the size designation molded into the tire sidewall, e.g. the 255/45-ZR18 in my car's original Michelin Pilot Sport tires. In addition, top-rated tires commonly carry a service rating, e.g. the 255/45-R18 99Y on the Goodyear Eagle F1-GS-D3 tires currently fitted to my STS. The "Y" part of the service rating indicates that the speed rating is somewhat lower than the sky, but still higher than the 155 MPH the car is supposed to be capable of*.

I believe that the lowest speed rated tires that Cadillac fits to the STS are the H-rated all-weather ones mounted to the base car. Consequently, I believe that cars so equipped come from the factory speed limited to 130 MPH (via PCM programming).

So I'm surprised that you can reach only 105 MPH. You don't mention where you got your tires. If it was your dealer, perhaps they over-wrote the factory's setting because your tires are incapable of sustaining a road speed higher than that appropriate in school zones.:bigroll:

Finally, this has nothing whatsoever to do with California emissions or fuel economy rules.

* Dangling participle--deduct 5 points.:tisk:

rb92gt
07-13-07, 06:33 PM
Nope, STS comes standard with S rated tires in 235/50R17 all around. Nice thing about these tires is that you have many tire options, can put on a round of rubber for less than $400, and they last a long time- mine have 25K miles on them and still probably have 15-20K left, and I drive like a maniac. Oh ya... mine is not speed rated to 105.

Curious George
07-15-07, 05:49 PM
Nope, STS comes standard with S rated tires in 235/50R17 all around.

Thanks for the correction. If you have S-rate tires, I'd think you'd have a hard time exceeding 112 MPH.

ibeebugz012
07-20-07, 03:08 PM
?? so if i get my tires switched from whatever to Z will the dealer change my speed rating?

mkailley
08-02-07, 03:09 AM
Worthy sentiments, but :Offtopic:.

Getting back to the subject at hand: The factory programmed your car's PCM for a maximum speed determined by the speed rating of the tires the factory fitted to your car. The common speed ratings are:

A tire's speed rating is generally incorporated into the size designation molded into the tire sidewall, e.g. the 255/45-ZR18 in my car's original Michelin Pilot Sport tires. In addition, top-rated tires commonly carry a service rating, e.g. the 255/45-R18 99Y on the Goodyear Eagle F1-GS-D3 tires currently fitted to my STS. The "Y" part of the service rating indicates that the speed rating is somewhat lower than the sky, but still higher than the 155 MPH the car is supposed to be capable of*.

I believe that the lowest speed rated tires that Cadillac fits to the STS are the H-rated all-weather ones mounted to the base car. Consequently, I believe that cars so equipped come from the factory speed limited to 130 MPH (via PCM programming).

So I'm surprised that you can reach only 105 MPH. You don't mention where you got your tires. If it was your dealer, perhaps they over-wrote the factory's setting because your tires are incapable of sustaining a road speed higher than that appropriate in school zones.:bigroll:

Finally, this has nothing whatsoever to do with California emissions or fuel economy rules.

* Dangling participle--deduct 5 points.:tisk:

Finally... good post...

ewill3rd
08-02-07, 06:47 AM
?? so if i get my tires switched from whatever to Z will the dealer change my speed rating?

No they won't. The software modification has to come from GM and they will never let them do that.

jhelms
08-02-07, 04:58 PM
What is the speed rating (and corresponding speed limit) of the 1SF package (the 18" staggered offset wheels were added as an option)?

In our Yukon and other vehicles, we had taken this off with an HPP3, but I don't think that's a viable option for the STS.

I would walk outside and look but I don't have the car with me at the office this afternoon...

jhelms
08-03-07, 04:40 PM

So..... on a 2006 V8 1SF car with optional V rated 18's, the car's speed limiter should be expected to kick in around 149mph, correct?

Is there confirmation of that anywhere? I've done a good bit of road racing (sanctioned) and drag racing, and while I know this car won't hit near that on most courses it would be interesting to run some numbers for an ORR like the Silver State Classic. Thanks...