: I need my credit report. Aren't they free now?

Spyder
07-03-07, 02:24 AM
Or am I wrong in remembering that we were supposed to get a free one from each agency each year?

I need it by the end of the week for a job application with California Dept. of Corrections...but I don't want to pay for it if I don't have to...

Ideas?

JC316
07-03-07, 03:22 AM
freecreditreport.com supposedly does it free, not 100% sure though as I have never used it.

urbanski
07-03-07, 05:46 AM
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

this is the free site mandated by congress.
request a free report from one agency. then in 4 months request from another, then in 4 more another. in a year and you can start from the top again :)

do NOT use other sites, they are tied to gimmicks.

Spyder
07-03-07, 12:50 PM
Yea, that's what I was looking for. The freecreditreport.com ended up wanting a bunch of crap I don't want to give them. Thanks Urby! ..and thanks JC316, to a lessor extent. :D

dkozloski
07-03-07, 04:34 PM
Www.freecreditreport .com will give you a credit report but you'll soon see a charge show up on your credit card bill for a "credit protection" service. A perusal of the fine print on the site will show that you have signed up for it when you ask for the report and it requires positive action on your part to get it stopped. It's kind of ironic the you need protection from the credit protection.

Spyder
07-03-07, 04:54 PM
Haha...yea. That's what I ended up doing, but through transunion. I apparently have already gotten a report from the other three agencies at various points in the last year, so I had to do this. I signed up with transunion for their protection and viewing thing and I just have to cancel it within thirty days or else I'll get charged. Chances are, I'll forget and they'll charge me ten bucks. :)

thebigjimsho
07-03-07, 04:57 PM
https://www.annualcreditreport.com/cra/index.jsp

this is the free site mandated by congress.
request a free report from one agency. then in 4 months request from another, then in 4 more another. in a year and you can start from the top again :)

do NOT use other sites, they are tied to gimmicks.Yep, I just used this the other night to check my credit. Seems like I have an issue with Providian turned Washinton Mutual on a fraudulent charge....

Check your credit at least yearly...

urbanski
07-03-07, 05:55 PM
yes, pull your report rotating among the 3 every 4 months.

CIWS
07-03-07, 09:25 PM
I have been a member of Equifax's Credit watch program for about 4 years now. Initially the 3in1 gold program is about 130.00, but then the renewal fee has been 85.00 a year. Anytime any activity occurs with my credit I am e-mailed and notified.

Once my credit union ran a credit score check just to see where it was because of a car loan I had with them and I was notified within hours of the check. I called my credit union to ask them why my score had been pulled by them and they were shocked I even knew and asked how. I told them I was enrolled in Equifax's credit watch program and was making sure there was no false loan application occuring with my credit. They started backtracking and apologizing for doing it because they couldn't exactly answer why it was done. To me that kind of protection and notification is worth 85.00 a year.

dkozloski
07-03-07, 10:00 PM
I've been called by two of my credit card companies within hours of ordering several things in quick succession on the internet including plane tickets. They have their own trigger level for suspicious activety and it's free.

CIWS
07-03-07, 10:09 PM
As a matter of fact I was called by one of my C.C. company's security today. They said they were checking on a 2300.00 transaction two weeks ago (headers and other stuff) and then a 75.00 transaction this morning and wanted to make sure they were on the up and up. To which I said thank you for checking, but it would have been nice if you called two weeks ago when the 2300.00 purchase was made, vs waiting today for the 75.00 donation to an Islamic charity to trigger your action. Also I asked them if they could see I authorized a payment to pay off the transactions this morning and they told me they wouldn't see that for several days.

Thanks but I like the credit watch notifications that usually come within 24 hours. :)

Playdrv4me
07-05-07, 12:24 AM
The only problem with the Annual Credit Report site, is that if you actually need your credit score, which is something you should know... it's absolutely worthless.

What you can do to get the FULL report *including* your credit score if you need it that badly, is go to one of the Free Credit reporting sites that does all three bureaus at once, sign up for the service, and then cancel it. I've done that several times in the past and never had a problem. What they are counting on is that you WONT remember to call. So do it immediately after you sign up.

ewill3rd
07-05-07, 06:29 AM
One of the companies we do business with lost a hard drive or a laptop or something and they offered to pay for a credit monitoring service for a year.
We used it and it seems to be pretty good.
I have done the free one before, although I can't remember which site I used.

I keep a close watch on my credit. I usually download all the transactions on all my credit cards for review at least once a week.
Also because of the way my wife and I use our cards I monitor who is spending how much and where.

My credit card companies in the past have stopped authorizing transactions while I was traveling because they saw "unusual" activity. A simple phone call to verify that I was the one driving to California (using reservations I made with the credit card I might add) and spending lots of money along the way. As much as I appreciated it, that can be a real drag at the gas pump. Good thing I had more than one card!

It is a good idea to monitor your credit.
The service we use is "Identity Guard".
I think our freebie expired and my wife re-upped it.

dkozloski
07-05-07, 02:59 PM
It seems to me that by federal law, your maximum exposure in credit card fraud is $50. It can still be a PIA to get it all straightened out. In the one case I had, the CC company closed the old account, opened me a new one with the same terms, released me of all the fraudulent charges, and said they would persue prosecution. I was home free.

wait4me6920
07-07-07, 01:17 PM
It seems to me that by federal law, your maximum exposure in credit card fraud is $50. It can still be a PIA to get it all straightened out. In the one case I had, the CC company closed the old account, opened me a new one with the same terms, released me of all the fraudulent charges, and said they would persue prosecution. I was home free.

Same here, Koz - only had the problem once & it was nickle & dime stuff at that. But, if I'd not noted the bogus charges when going through my statement item by item - about 20 of them for 99 cents up to $2.99 - it may have been a trip to Bali the next month.

Oh, think you're right on max $50 loss to fraudulent charges.