: 95 Fleetwood, window gets off track.

elwesso
07-02-07, 06:23 PM
Ok, I have searched and this is more or less to verify.

My grandparents have a 95 Fleetwood (38k miles), and the windows simply wont stay on the tracks. Theyve had the dealer put them back on track a couple times but they dont want to use the windows anymore. usually the window will stay on the track but it will de-rail and then you have to fiddle with it to get it back on.

I was reading that there are some spacers or something that keep the window on the track. is that the most likely cause?

Also, as far as removing the door panels (I assume theyre gonna hvae to come off) I was reading that the only screws are the ones under the spring loaded grab handle, once you remove those its just clips that go around the perimeter?

caddycruiser
07-02-07, 08:51 PM
It's rollers...vs. the junky sliders that are in there to start. Maybe.

Then again, if the dealer has "worked on it" several times, I wonder if they've changed anything (i.e. switched over to the rollers that have been the common fix for some time), keep re-using the old sliders, or there's an actual weird issue with the tracks.

Here's an old thread that gives a good idea about it:

http://www.impalassforum.com/tech/interior/windowfix/index.htm

As far as the Fleetwood, I've actually replaced the rollers in my one rear door (had the dealer do a front), and have become an expert at taking the door panels off.

1) Remove the two screws back in underneath the grab handle area. Remove the screw on the wood piece ahead of that, which will then let this piece loose--just disconnect the speaker and lock connection and set it aside.

2) Pop up the main control panel area (windows and such) by prying up on the front edge towards the back (clipped at the back, I think). It'll release pretty easily, then unplug it. If it's difficult, you're pulling/pushing on the wrong end.

3) Once the 3 screws are out of the upper, it's essentially just prying up around the sides and bottom of the panel to release the clips--VERY, VERY much recommend a simple "fork-like" door panel clip remover that's cheap at any auto parts store, for this.

4) With the clips released, it's just lifting up on the panel, and upward so to release the two flat bracket clips that are on the top edge and go down between the window and door frame area.

5) Pull the free panel away, and make sure there are no more plugs, etc. still attached.

Once it's off, there's just a stuck-on rubber membrane that peels off and sticks back on. It's kind of hard to see fully into the door, or get your hands in there, but with a flashlight and some good peaking, you should be able to figure out the issue.

elwesso
07-02-07, 10:04 PM
Absolutely brilliant. I knew that the impala guys would have it figured out! One of the good things about platform sharing. Thank you very much for your post.

I dont think the dealer actually replaced anything in the door, they just enjoyed taking money from my grandparents. Theyre finally realizing that I may be more savvy than the stealership.

caddycruiser
07-02-07, 10:45 PM
Ah, hope it helps then. All you really need is to get some of the little rollers through a GM dealer (or one of the many online), and go to work trying to get your hands and tools in the door crevices to fix them.

Nearly every one of these cars ever made, Chevy, Buick, or Cadillac, all had the same issue regardless of year, and it was because of the badly designed slider things. In a few years, all the windows on our '92 and '93 cars still seem fine, but my '95s driver window fell in down right when I was having other service done (not in a good frame of mind, and just let them do it...which turned out okay, if expensive), then a couple of months later we did my driver's rear door after the window stopped working and there was a constant loud rattle in the door--the arms of the regulator were clanging loose, but the window stuck. Fixed that one with the rollers too, and it's been perfect.

You'll also see lots of these cars for sale with proclaimed window issues, and few of those people actually know what's really happened or how to fix it.

96Fleetwood
07-03-07, 09:17 AM
Make sure you use the updated new style rollers. I have been lucky with the Cadillac but I had to replace the rollers on one of the windows of the '95 Roadmaster I had. I thought it was the window motor and actually bought a replacement.. but once I opened the door skin up, it was just the rollers.

caddycruiser
07-03-07, 10:19 PM
Make sure you use the updated new style rollers. I have been lucky with the Cadillac but I had to replace the rollers on one of the windows of the '95 Roadmaster I had. I thought it was the window motor and actually bought a replacement.. but once I opened the door skin up, it was just the rollers.

Yeah, I think they essentially became the standard part after so many of the terrible sliders broke apart and started needing replacement after these cars went out of production. When the dealer fixed my front, that was what they used right off the bat, though I did wonder if they were at all familiar with them beforehand.