: Seville not running right

the little STS
04-09-04, 10:00 AM
driving yesterday from 3 to 12 am and exactly 1130 my car starts making this clicking noise while im driving i drove it home and it just got louder and uglier i cant tell where the noise is coming from but the car stalled on me 3 times yesterday and wont accelerate like it used to (ex 6.4 0-60 now its 11.8 0-60) it sux plz help me

Chuck C
04-09-04, 11:41 AM
show some maturity when you post on the forum, then we'll answer your questions

the little STS
04-09-04, 11:48 AM
im sorry for being imature but being mature or imature isnt gonna fix my car
my car is screwed up and i dont need critiscim fo wat i write
i need help for my car

Brett
04-09-04, 12:06 PM
ive cleaned up your post a bit. there are many knowledgeable and helpful members on this board, and I'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction

elwesso
04-09-04, 01:57 PM
Check your codes.....

dloch
04-09-04, 03:13 PM
ive cleaned up your post a bit. there are many knowledgeable and helpful members on this board, and I'm sure somebody can point you in the right direction
That was good judgement on your part....

BeelzeBob
04-09-04, 03:27 PM
Is this specifically a Northstar issue or could be be something else? If it's not a Northstar issue, somebody move it to the Seville area where it'll get the attention it deserves...

the little STS
04-09-04, 03:39 PM
northstar problem!!!!!
does anyone know wats wrong with my car

Koz
04-10-04, 06:18 PM
go to a trained caddy shop and a trained caddy mech. to find out its a lot easier remember not all mechs. at a caddy dealer are trained in caddy technology.
Caddy has its own way of doing goofy stuff. like making a big deal out of a 300 hp 281 c.i. engine with 32 valves. chey did it years ago with 283 16 valves and more HP.for a lot less money a repair.

BeelzeBob
04-12-04, 12:07 AM
go to a trained caddy shop and a trained caddy mech. to find out its a lot easier remember not all mechs. at a caddy dealer are trained in caddy technology.
Caddy has its own way of doing goofy stuff. like making a big deal out of a 300 hp 281 c.i. engine with 32 valves. chey did it years ago with 283 16 valves and more HP.for a lot less money a repair.

KOZ...you are confusing Gross HP ratings of yesteryear with the correct SAE HP ratings of today.... there isn't a 283 in history that will touch a Northstar for performance and HP per cubic inch....only in your dreams will a 283 make that much real HP. Why don't you make some useful comments with all your supposed background instead of just stupid comments.???

BeelzeBob
04-12-04, 12:13 AM
northstar problem!!!!!
does anyone know wats wrong with my car

It is really hard to tell you exactly what is making noise and what happened from your description.

The firs thing to do is to determine which cylinder may be in trouble by running a compression check. This is pretty simple and easy. All you need to do is to remove the spark plugs and find a compression gauge. Depending on which cylinder shows up as an outlyer I would pull the cam cover off of that side to see if a roller rocker arm or valve spring is causing the problem. Those parts are pretty robust but if the engine has been overreved a lot there may be a problem there. Just a guess but a place to start maybe....

Koz
05-05-04, 02:45 AM
hey bob what kind of sewer are you? oh a caddy kind a sewer

no matter how you measure the hp those old big cars were faster than the new cars if you knew how to work on them slight carb and timing adjusts got it faster
remeber the advancement in computers on the cars now is for emisions not top performance.
the fastest engines at the drag strip are the old designs big and small block chevys and the old chrysler hemi ,stupid

JohnnyLfromCT
05-05-04, 11:01 AM
42 years old & you're calling the most knowledgable guy on this forum stupid?

I think we can all see who is the one lacking intelligence... :rolleyes2

Brett
05-05-04, 11:35 AM
,stupid

Take it easy Koz, BBob is a very respected member on our forum and flaming(calling someone stupid) is against the rules of our user agreement.....consider this a warning

BeelzeBob
05-05-04, 11:50 AM
If this is going to turn into a battle of wits - this isn't the place for it.. Take it to Private Messages or www.masterdebating.com

BeelzeBob
05-05-04, 12:02 PM
hey bob what kind of sewer are you? oh a caddy kind a sewer

no matter how you measure the hp those old big cars were faster than the new cars if you knew how to work on them slight carb and timing adjusts got it faster
remeber the advancement in computers on the cars now is for emisions not top performance.
the fastest engines at the drag strip are the old designs big and small block chevys and the old chrysler hemi ,stupid

I'll ignore the stupid comments and just consider the source. Considering the amount of constructive advice and help you've provided over the past years, Koz, I think your qualifications speak for themselves.

As far as the other claims I would say, basically, BS.

The evolution of electronics has allowed TREMENDOUS advantages in performance while allowing the emissions and fuel economy to improve dramatically. Take a look at new car specs. Cars (ALL cars) are faster in factory trim, handle better, get better fuel economy and meet the most stringent emissions. So much for the "good ole days" that you are stuck in.

Comparing what is running at the drag strip is apples to oranges. Big displacement rules there and obviously older, bigger displacement engines will be faster when doing only ONE thing....drag racing. You must not have been paying attention to what some of the current model cars are running when tuned for dragstrip use.....they are pretty quick also.

The amazing thing to me is that some of the old muscle cars can be so much faster TODAY than they were 30 years ago. The "appearing stock" drag racing that is catching on has cars running 10's on bias belted street tires ....with a little dose of todays technology in terms of valvetrain, exhaust, tuning, etc... Not just a "carb adjustment" there I think or someone would have figured it out 30 years ago....LOL. Technology is what is improving the breed, old and new.

While it is true that fuel injection and electronics do not specifically "make HP" on the race track and specifically the drag strip the added technology DOES allow current production cars to have tons of power AND fuel economy AND driveability AND meet emissions...something that no carbed engine could do. It is interesting , though, in view of your comments, that some of the highest specific output engines in the world are pro-stock drag racers...with big pushrod, carbed engines. They do make big power in a straight line for 7 seconds.....

BTW....I kind of like that...."caddy kind of sewer..." Can I use your line??? I think I'll make that my avator or whatever...... LOL LOL

OlManRivah
05-06-04, 12:08 AM
I have wanted to pit my '73 eldo w/500 against my '97 w/N*. I think that 'ol carbed '73 would give the N* a fit. Probably rip the convertable top off my '73 though, lol!

Does Nascar, running all carbed engines, say anything for what a little carb tweaking can do?

By the way, I get 8 mpg with the 500 and 27 mpg with the N*. I don't think I can tweak that carb that much. Maybe a restrictor plate.........

I love the N*, but, I also have a lot of respect for those 'ol big blocks. Many still running strong after 40 years. The Northstar still has to prove itself in the longevity arena.

:hide:

Randy_W
05-06-04, 11:09 AM
My 1967 Impala SS has a complete LT-1 drivetrain (LT-1/4L60E), and I would never go back to a carb, period! Today's cars are faster than any ever built. If you don't believe it, try running one of the bad boys from the '60's against a modern muscle car. The LS1 Camaro will smoke a stock 396/375 '68 Camaro 7 days a week! I'm 51 and I lived through both periods, I love the old cars, but the new ones are better and faster!! ;)

Check my link for pics of my '67.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/toppop52/

dloch
05-06-04, 12:34 PM
I can certainly agree, been through all that. Had BB Chevelles, 65, 68, 69 (2) and (3) 70's. The 65 was brutal fast, I was running 11.60's @ 121 in 1969 but not very dependable. The 70 I bracket raced with was a 350HP version that would run ~ 11.40's @ 122-124, Oval port heads 2bolt mains stock compression, infact the motor was basicly stock except for a cam change.

Give the fuel injection and the electronic controlled transmisions where I can change any parameter without getting dirty or greasy anyday.