: Shock Repair, Mag Ride

BMWDON
07-02-07, 01:24 PM
After 107,000 miles, I need to replace both front shocks on my 2004 SRX with magnetic ride control. Dealer quote is $2100, parts at $1700. Given the mileage, having to replace shocks may be normal. However, the cost takes your breath away. My mechanical skills are up to the challenge of doing the repair myself.

Any wisdom from the group on the repair, locating a shop manual, low cost parts source new and used?

Otherwise, the car has been great!

Thanks for any input!

Don Marriott

Eldo1953
07-04-07, 02:10 AM
Are you getting the service suspension sys message?

BMWDON
07-04-07, 09:05 AM
no service suspension message. visible oil leak is the problem...seals are bad.

Don Marriott

sgilbert
07-04-07, 11:08 AM
For that kind of money---I'd likely replace them with good aftermarket shocks. Koni, Bilstein, etc.

dietermod
07-04-07, 05:31 PM
Everytime I hear about a bad seal I think about this joke. :bouncy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9e3qlZ3zxg

dkozloski
07-04-07, 05:47 PM
For that kind of money---I'd likely replace them with good aftermarket shocks. Koni, Bilstein, etc.
You'd be sadly disappointed. The mag ride suspension is miles beyond any passive system. It's benefits are particularly noticable when going over the frost heaved roads in Alaska. After a long trip in the lower 48 I found much worse roads. I guess we no longer have a monopoly on that problem.

sgilbert
07-04-07, 06:32 PM
You'd be sadly disappointed. The mag ride suspension is miles beyond any passive system. It's benefits are particularly noticable when going over the frost heaved roads in Alaska. After a long trip in the lower 48 I found much worse roads. I guess we no longer have a monopoly on that problem.

I'm quite sure I would----BUT----he's already got 107,000 miles on it! :bigroll:

dkozloski
07-05-07, 12:53 AM
I'm quite sure I would----BUT----he's already got 107,000 miles on it! :bigroll:
That means there are at least another 200,000 left in it.

n7don_srx
07-06-07, 11:40 PM
After 107,000 miles, I need to replace both front shocks on my 2004 SRX with magnetic ride control. Dealer quote is $2100, parts at $1700. Given the mileage, having to replace shocks may be normal. However, the cost takes your breath away. My mechanical skills are up to the challenge of doing the repair myself.

Any wisdom from the group on the repair, locating a shop manual, low cost parts source new and used?

Otherwise, the car has been great!

Thanks for any input!

Don Marriott

Sometimes your local library is a good shop manual source, especially if they have Mitchel's online for example. For parts, I'd look up the parts numbers on acdelco.com or rockauto.com and check rockauto and gmpartsdirect.com for an ideal of costs. Maybe some of the supporting vendors on this forum are a good supply source too. No wisdom on what's involved in changing the shocks.

john d
07-07-07, 12:51 AM
Might try a salvage yard that specializes in GM parts.
Try to find a yard that has coast to coast connections to other yards.
If you find a good one share your find!