Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Clinging sound - Video

2K views 43 replies 7 participants last post by  Kmajecki 
#1 ·
So i have now transformed my V back to stock and the only problem left to fix is this clinging sound i get. Faster the car goes, the faster the sound. It doesnt happen until the car has been driven for a while, and only happens when the car is in neutral or if the clutch is pushed in. I thought it may have been the rear but then it would do that whether it was in gear or not right? So now im guessing it's a clutch or transmission issue. I recently tracked the car for half a day and didnt notice this until after the track. Oh and it doesnt seem to be affected by the brakes... Thanks for any and all suggestions. I plan on taking it in to the dealer in the morning, just want to see what you guys think. Thanks again!

See less See more
#5 ·
I do have a torn exhaust hanger i plan to replace in a few minutes. I've been under the car quite a bit lately but ill check again tonight. Just weird how it doesn't happen while in gear with the clutch out. Takes away from the cable tie possibility, but i'll certainly check. Guess i should do this before it gets too dark. Also have to remove my magnacharged emblem while im out there :( Thinking Goo-Gone and a spatula should do the trick

#7 ·
Used those shop paper towels and a screw driver. Dental floss probably would have been perfect! next time. I must have walked out right when you wrote that. So each muffler has a total of 3 rubber hangers. One stiff big one (haha) at the front of the muffler and 2 softer ones at the back. My passenger side exhaust is missing the main one and was only hanging on by one of the wimpy soft ones! Glad it didnt fall. So now i have the 2 soft ones, ill get the main one first thing in the morning. Guess the vibration from the cut outs must have worked it loose or maybe it came out on track day... With headers coming i may have to put a dab of silicone on there to keep it on place!

#11 · (Edited)
I really dont think it's anything on the wheels. Its spinning/clinging too fast to be the wheels. I think there's a possibility the driveshaft could be slightly rubbing the Xpipe. Im going to get that other exhaust hanger in the morning and see what that does. If that doesnt fix it im taking her in. It only makes the noise when the shaft isnt under any type of load and doesnt do it in reverse. I would think the driveshaft rubbing something would make the noise whether or not it was under and when going forward and in reverse. :confused: Oh and why is it affected by temperature/run time ?? Doesnt do it when i first start it up...

#14 ·
Thanks for all the help with the composition of Hooter's wings!!! jk Dropped the V off at the dealer this morning, they apparently were out of CTS's so now i'm rolling a Jeep Liberty, how festive for the 4th! I replaced all the missing exhaust hangers and checked the driveshaft and the noise is still there. I'll let ya'll know what they find out...

#15 ·
Weird! Just after i hit Submit Reply my cell rang.... The dealer called to tell me they just ordered a new driveshaft and are pretty sure that's the problem. Sa-weet! Bought the extended warranty just 2 weeks ago and glad i did! :thumbsup:

#17 ·
Hmmm...wonder if Sewell knows about Miss Maggie? :stirpot:

#25 ·
Just posted...

#28 ·
I'm betting he went to grapevine.

I went by lemon the other day to ask various questions about repairs to my car and what to expect from them. When I mentioned diff replacement work and would they charge to drop the aftermarket exhaust because I had headers, the initial response from the service advisor was something to the effect of "we can't touch anything other than OEM equipment" but one of the service managers was walking by and the advisor stopped them and said she would like his input on the situation. Well guess what, it happen to be the service manager I sat down with before I bought headers to ask him about adding them to the car and it's effect on my warranty. His response was " we add the Corsa to cars all the time and it wouldn't be any problem to remove it if the diff needed replacement." Always nice to check with the people who actually make such decisions first.

If it does actually occur, we'll see how it goes. But I got nothing but positive results to the questions I asked. I did purchase my car at that dealership though.

#36 ·
I should hear something back today. My only concern as far as mods go is to swap the driveshaft, they'll have to drop the exhaust. Hope they disconnect the wires to my cutouts first! I have those twisty connectors in the spare tire well, so surely they'll see they have to disconnect that first....right?

Here's some more pics from a photographer that was at the track...

#38 ·
#37 ·
They just called, car is ready! Driveshaft apparently fixed it and it's just going to cost me the $100 deductible. Never mentioned anything about the cutouts or the UUC shifter.... Great service so far! Once i pick it up an dsee if it's really fixed i'll post again, but so far i'm very happy with it. They had quite a few V's there when i got there. 2 demo ones for sale, a used one, a new one, and another one being worked on, on the lift. I'd say they know their V's....

#44 ·
Got the car back and she seems to run just fine. Im happy with the service at Sewell Grapevine as far as the work on the car. I didnt like:

*Not having at least a CTS as a loan car (Jeep Liberty instead)

*How long it took for me to find out where to pay and have my car pulled up (one off Lemmon i couldnt even get the door open and someone was there to help me),

*Finally I cant really complain because it was extra work for them but they tore my trunk apart to disconnect my cutouts and didnt put it back together. It was warranty work though so i can understand, but at least set the parts in the right order. Looked like they just tossed everything in the trunk upside down.

So they replaced the driveshaft and all is better. "Propeller shaft center bearing worn" There were no prices on my ticket but i had my service guy look into it for me. He called the parts guy and the part alone to a customer was $1,208 and he guessed prob $400-$500 in labor, so buying that extended warranty 2 weeks ago was definitely worth it! I would certainly go back to them, Rick (service advisor) was great at keeping in touch and letting me know the status of everything. There were just a couple small things but nothing that would stop me from going back. I was going to give Massey a try but everyone seemed to have good things to say about Sewell Grapevine so i went that route.

Thanks to everyone giving suggestions on what the noise could be and what Hooter's wings are made from! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.