Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Functional armrest - $0, but priceless

927 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  atdeneve 
#1 ·
CTS-V Armrests are sloped down so they don't interfere with shifting, but it is useless to rest your arm on for most folks. It's a prety common mod to install a regular CTS armrest, which is taller and has built in storage.

If you don't want to go with the CTS version, here is a simple option that has worked well for me. The V armrest rotates downward until the rest makes contact at the rear of the base, near the hinge. You can adjust the height of the armrest by inserting a spacer where the two parts make contact. I used a 3/8" thick piece of rubber, 3/4" wide and 4" long. I mounted the spacer on the bottom side of the armrest with two small countersunk screws recessed into the rubber spacer. You can't see it at all with the armrest down and isn't noticable with the rest in the up position. The bonus for mounting it this way, is that the spacer can be removed in a few seconds if you want more clearance for shifting during track days, etc.

With a UUC shifter and at 6" tall, the armrest is just right for me with a 3/8" thick spacer. You may need more or less.

Here are a few pics. (Before, spacer, spacer installed and after)

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.