: Road Trip Time! Car of choice: $100 1991 Coupe deVille!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 01:43 PM
So I get this call from Tanner (derrty_deVille) last weekend telling me he's found a Coupe deVille down near me for sale on Craigslist and he wants to pick it up, but he needs my help to get both of his cars back up to his place (60 miles Northwest) and I'm more than happy to help!

So he gets to my house about an hour after I got off work on Saturday, and we cruise out to this guy's place to pick up this '91 Coupe deVille. It's a Cotillion White exterior with like a mauve velour interior...very rare interior color! I've only seen a few like this in my life, only on ebay. Anyways, it's got 221k miles on it and the tranny was replaced at like 155k, and the motor is original, they drive tight and like they've got 100k less on them. The car needs some work though....the biggest issue would be the lack of power steering! Haha, that was fun! But then again, it was a $100 Cadillac!

So he buys it after a brief test drive, this being my first experience with a Coupe deVille of this generation, I like it! Nice big long doors, good backseat space, etc etc. The seats are an incredibly soft velour..quite a bit softer than the seats in my '92 and that's saying something! But the cloth used in the two years is a different material...mine is called "Esteem" cloth and this stuff is "Prima Vera" which I believe is the same stuff used in the pre '93 Broughams....it smells and feels the same anyways. The first time I stuck my head in the window and took a good whiff it smelled EXACTLY like the interior of that '87 Brougham I looked at back in '03...with the dark blue velour interior. It's funny how a smell can take you back to a certain time/place...

Anyways, he bought it and the brake light is on...so we stopped at the nearest Target and pick up some DOT3 BF. Filled it up but the light was still on, he'll have to look into that further. Then after that we're both starving so we go to the Perkins across the parking lot and gorge ourselves. Then we head back to my place so we can get some good group pics, grab some of my dad's tools just in case and head up to Tanner's place to drop the cars off.

The drive up was relatively uneventful, we had to drive slow on 35-W (55 in a 70) because the Coupe's steering wheel starts shaking real bad above 60 MPH, but I missed the exit to Highway 10 which takes us to Tanner's house, so we went on a 45 minute "dumbass detour" that took us way out of the way, but no issue because we stopped at a gas station and I got myself a Krispy Kreme, a Milky Way and a bag of Tropical Skittles! Haha!

So we finally got up to Tanner's house around 11:45 (We left my place, 65 miles away at about 9:30!), he puts in a fuse for the inop interior lights (fixed that) and we transfer all of my dad's tools and stuff into the trunk of his step mom's '99 300M which I was really looking forward to ride in, but nope! We got in it and turned the key and got about three clicks than nothing, so we said screw that and took his dad's Eagle Vision, then about 20 minutes into the drive home I feel asleep and woke up 3 miles from my house, so I must have been passed out for ~45 minutes! Wow, haha!

A fun time, anytime anyone else needs help picking up a new car, you know who to reach!

Pics!

Mine, The Coupe, The Sedan. I took these pictures in the parking lot of the high school I went to. It's where I take all of my "good shots"
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0946.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0948.jpg

The Coupe!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0956.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0955.jpg

Mauve! (Sandy, what is the official name for this color?)
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0953.jpg
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0957.jpg

A lot of miles.
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/IMG_0954.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 01:45 PM
Rock the boat, don't tip the boat over!
http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/th_MVI_0961.jpg (http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/?action=view&current=MVI_0961.flv)
Oh yeah, he could use some new front struts too....

Benzilla
07-01-07, 01:51 PM
Cool! I've never seen that interior color before. So, how did it drive?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 01:53 PM
Cool! I've never seen that interior color before. So, how did it drive?

I'll let Tanner answer that one, I only drove it like 8 miles, he drove it like 80.

derrty_deville
07-01-07, 03:50 PM
It wasnt too horrible. No power steering, no radio, and a bad tire made the drive interesting. Engine and trans seem pretty good other than the E39 code i got.

z06bigbird
07-01-07, 04:00 PM
92 body style is my favorite. A neighbor of mine has one with 20,000+ miles on it. He is seriously ill, but family does not want to sell yet. They do not want to destroy owner's morale.

Problem is: We have been waiting about 5 years for this guy to die. Family promised to sell me the car. Owner keeps hanging in there, but he has driven for years.

Please don't flame me. I should not have admitted what I am waiting for. Maybe I should say that I am waiting to buy a dead guy's car. I don't know if that is any better.

derrty_deville
07-01-07, 04:06 PM
Maybe a get dead soon card is in order?

96Fleetwood
07-01-07, 04:23 PM
For $100!! Part that sucker out and make some $$$

How does the frame look? The rocker panel under the drivers side door looks like it is very rusty.

derrty_deville
07-01-07, 04:38 PM
There isnt that much rust on the car really. Its that spot which is common, the strut towers which is commoner, and some at the lower passenger coner of the windsheild which could be deadly but I think I got it early enough to fix it.

The spot you see is where the roadsalt gets dragged in so it craps up more often there.

If it doesnt get up to roadworthy then ill likely part it. Good bumpers n stuff for me too.

77CDV
07-01-07, 04:58 PM
I believe the interior color is called amethyst.

gdwriter
07-01-07, 05:42 PM
That thing looks pretty clean for a $100 car. Rare to see a coupe without the vinyl roof, too.

On another note, I saw Cruella's twin in Salem today. I see quite a few early 90s DeVilles around here, but I had not seen one in Sapphire Blue Firemist before today. This one was pretty straight and clean, except for the missing wheel center caps. The owner gave me a wave and I waved back when he pulled into the left turn lane.

Jonas McFeely
07-01-07, 05:59 PM
Problem is: We have been waiting about 5 years for this guy to die. Family promised to sell me the car. Owner keeps hanging in there, but he has driven for years.

Lol. +1

Night Wolf
07-01-07, 06:50 PM
thats not a 1991.

That is a '89-'90... possibly '88.... with a '91-'93 front clip

96Fleetwood
07-01-07, 07:02 PM
thats not a 1991.

Can't be an '88, that was the older style.. but could be a '89-90.. or a '91-93 with the older clip?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 07:15 PM
thats not a 1991.

DING DING DING!! We have a winner! It's an '89 with a 92 front clip. I guess the previous owner got in a front end accident at some point and put a '92 front clip on instead.

What gave it away? Was it the steering wheel, lack of a front storage armrest, or the tiny engine badge on the trunklid?

Haha Tanner and I were talking about who we thought would be the first to know it wasn't a '91 and we both said Night Wolf. Haha!

RightTurn
07-01-07, 07:26 PM
92 body style is my favorite. A neighbor of mine has one with 20,000+ miles on it. He is seriously ill, but family does not want to sell yet. They do not want to destroy owner's morale.

Please don't flame me. I should not have admitted what I am waiting for. Maybe I should say that I am waiting to buy a dead guy's car. I don't know if that is any better.

Now that's just messed up. :thepan:

:alchi:

93DevilleUSMC
07-01-07, 07:29 PM
Nice car, derrty deville. You got a steal on that thing, even with all of it's issues!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 07:34 PM
Nice car, derrty deville. You got a steal on that thing, even with all of it's issues!

Haha, A Cadillac for less than the cost of a tank of gas!

On another note, I saw Cruella's twin in Salem today. I see quite a few early 90s DeVilles around here, but I had not seen one in Sapphire Blue Firemist before today. This one was pretty straight and clean, except for the missing wheel center caps. The owner gave me a wave and I waved back when he pulled into the left turn lane.

Ooo thanks for reminding me, I was driving with my boss the other day up to a Mitsubishi dealer to pick up a car, while we were heading north on I-35 in St. Paul, I spotted a 92-93 Sedan deVille just like mine...light beige metallic with the cloth seats and analog speedo, but this one had the base wheels. I made eye contact with the owner but didn't give him a thumbs up or anything because I wasn't in my car and it wouldn't work from an '07 Avalanche.

90Brougham350
07-01-07, 07:38 PM
Sounds like you guys had a blast, wish I could have joined you. Looks like a great car for $100.

Brian

93DevilleUSMC
07-01-07, 07:39 PM
[QUOTE=I~LUV~Caddys8792;1132067]Haha, A Cadillac for less than the cost of a tank of gas!

Hey, I'd buy it!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 08:16 PM
Hey, I'd buy it!

Same here!

Sounds like you guys had a blast, wish I could have joined you. Looks like a great car for $100.

Brian

I know man, we were talking about how cool that would have been, but you had to be "busy" :bigroll: Haha just kidding! But yeah, it would have been awesome.

On a related note, that TBI 4.5 has razor sharp throttle responce (much sharper than my 4.9), and better midrange power than my 4.9. Acceleration from a 50mph roll is totally different than in my car, with mine it's sorta in the "dead zone" and the TBI 4.5 seems to be waking right up then. If you were to have somebody who doesn't know cars at all drive it and then tell them it's only 155hp they'd never believe you! It never feels like it's struggling at all like a car with 155hp usually would. Damn, I can't believe my dad's gutless 160hp 3.1L Lumina has more hp than this! Just goes to show how important torque really is!

derrty_deville
07-01-07, 10:36 PM
My dad didnt know about it till about 11am this morning. He went outside to do something and comes back in and says "Am I seeing double?" He took it well though.

So Far I got the door fixed and the turn signals working. Now that I think about it code E39 could have been because of the bad wheel. I'll have to look into it.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 11:00 PM
Did you have to fix the 300M too?

derrty_deville
07-01-07, 11:13 PM
it eventually started this morning. Gonna try a better battery soon and see if that helps it some.

derrty_deville
07-02-07, 12:17 AM
I cant believe you compared my grille to a Cimmarons.

cadillac_tech
07-02-07, 12:41 AM
Rosewood?

derrty_deville
07-02-07, 01:10 AM
Rosewood what? Anyway I figured out the drivers door open switch is whats keeping the interior lights off when the door is opened and the headlight switch isn't dimming evenly either. Either dark or bright.

Found a 92 deville for the same price close to me. Could be fun to get a third one.

Night Wolf
07-02-07, 08:56 AM
DING DING DING!! We have a winner! It's an '89 with a 92 front clip. I guess the previous owner got in a front end accident at some point and put a '92 front clip on instead.

What gave it away? Was it the steering wheel, lack of a front storage armrest, or the tiny engine badge on the trunklid?

Haha Tanner and I were talking about who we thought would be the first to know it wasn't a '91 and we both said Night Wolf. Haha!

First thing that gave it away when I was looking at it was the side mouldings... it lacks the chrome strips along the side....

then I saw the steering wheel... it was obvious :)

Night Wolf
07-02-07, 08:58 AM
Same here!

I know man, we were talking about how cool that would have been, but you had to be "busy" :bigroll: Haha just kidding! But yeah, it would have been awesome.

On a related note, that TBI 4.5 has razor sharp throttle responce (much sharper than my 4.9), and better midrange power than my 4.9. Acceleration from a 50mph roll is totally different than in my car, with mine it's sorta in the "dead zone" and the TBI 4.5 seems to be waking right up then. If you were to have somebody who doesn't know cars at all drive it and then tell them it's only 155hp they'd never believe you! It never feels like it's struggling at all like a car with 155hp usually would. Damn, I can't believe my dad's gutless 160hp 3.1L Lumina has more hp than this! Just goes to show how important torque really is!

the 4.5 TBI is, IMO the best application of a TBI system.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-07, 12:14 PM
How come Rick? I've only driven a few TBI V8's....that and the 5.7 and it seems like the 4.5 has much better throttle responce.

derrty_deville
07-02-07, 12:38 PM
Lol. Thatas probably why the 4.5 tbi only went 2 years. They figured they had it right so they had to go to something new.

93DevilleUSMC
07-02-07, 02:03 PM
What injection type did they use on the 4.5 after TBI?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-02-07, 05:15 PM
Port Fuel Injection, same setup they use on the 4.9's.

93DevilleUSMC
07-03-07, 02:22 AM
Which one peaks the torque out lower, the 4.5, or the 4.9?

Night Wolf
07-03-07, 07:36 AM
Dunno.

The 4.5 TBI even feels a bit more peppy in city driving then the 4.9 because of the way the throttle body is rigged to the gas pedal.... 4.5 TBI is a very good engine tho, defintily impressive for the numbers it puts out.

93DevilleUSMC
07-03-07, 04:17 PM
Hmm. I need to drive a 4.5 sometime. How's the 4.5 MPFI feel?

Wheelman322
07-03-07, 05:31 PM

Not the worst I ever heard. My friend waited for his own grandfather to die so he could take possesion of his 91 Coupe with 80K miles.

Jesda
07-04-07, 03:58 AM
When you guys die I'm stealing your cars.