: Ceiling Mount DVD: Anyone Done It?

onewhippedpuppy
07-01-07, 10:51 AM
So, as the soon to be proud new owner of a 2004 SRX V8 AWD, I'm already looking for ways to improve it. The car guy that I am, I just can't leave well enough alone. We were looking for an SRX with the rear seat entertainment package, but this one was just too good to pass up. Plus, the factory RSE is worthless for the rear seat passengers. The obvious question is, then, how should I go about adding DVD?

I know of the headrest systems, and while they are very nice, they are also not cheap. $500 for a ceiling mount sounds much better.:)

While I don't have the ultraview, I have read that having it available as an option led to a lack of structure in the headliner to attach a DVD player to. True? Has anyone managed to install an aftermarket DVD player in the ceiling? If so, was it any more challenging?

FarEast
07-05-07, 01:06 PM
Plus, the factory RSE is worthless for the rear seat passengers.

What do you mean? My rear seat passengers don't complain.

onewhippedpuppy
07-05-07, 08:28 PM
I should have been more specific, I meant 3rd row. No worries for the second row.

TSS
07-06-07, 12:21 PM
I opted for a portable DVD player. It is a name brand (SONY I think - sorry GMJIM), works great and less than $110.00 with an AC adaptor/DC adapter/ and rechargable battery. My son can use it in any vehicle, on a plane, ... you get the point.

I used to have a ceiling mount in my Tahoe, and quite honestly it was a PITA and costly and unreliable. The portable is much easier to use and he can control the functions and change DVDs. That can't happen in motion w/ an overhead unless you let your kids get out of their seat belts. If you have more than one child, just buy two - then they can also watch different movies.

Any 3+ year old can handle a portable if you simply get the movie started. Any 5+ year old will be showing you how to use it. Under three years old, an overhead might make sense.

onewhippedpuppy
07-06-07, 01:52 PM
My 3 year old does in fact have a portable, but it's on it's way out. My only knock on those, if there's other kids in the car it's hard for them to see. I think I'll go the dual screen portable route, with the monitors that strap onto the headrests. That way anyone in the back seats can see it. Thanks for the feedback guys!

FarEast
07-06-07, 02:11 PM
I concur on the above posts. Portable is the way to go especially considering that as soon as you install ceiling DVD unit HDDVD/BlueRay will be on the market.
So... ether wait for one of those or get cheap portable.

TSS
07-06-07, 02:26 PM
My 3 year old does in fact have a portable, but it's on it's way out. My only knock on those, if there's other kids in the car it's hard for them to see. I think I'll go the dual screen portable route, with the monitors that strap onto the headrests. That way anyone in the back seats can see it. Thanks for the feedback guys!

If I had more than one child, I would definitely go the dual strap to the back of the seat mode (they have that set up at Sam's club relatively cheap).

Oh, yeah , in case I was not adament enough earlier, my aftermarket ceiling mount was a PITA. :thepan:

onewhippedpuppy
07-06-07, 04:24 PM
Oh, yeah , in case I was not adament enough earlier, my aftermarket ceiling mount was a PITA. :thepan:

Yeah, I got that distinct impression.:)

TSS
07-06-07, 09:46 PM
And if you don't believe me, ask my boss....uh, I mean wife.

onewhippedpuppy
07-08-07, 08:53 AM
You too, huh?:(

TSS
07-08-07, 11:08 AM
Actually, no frownie. After 16 years of marriage, I finally realize I need her to keep me in line sometimes!

davedogcaddy
07-18-07, 09:06 AM
I bought my SRX factory-certified (used) at a local GM dealership, mine already had a roof mounted DVD, so it can be done. I'm not sure of the specifics, I did take it down once to see, and it seems that the bracket that the DVD player screws into it attached with some sort of compound or glue - not sure if there is any other ways it is attached to the car (i hope there is...lol) - here is a link to a pic of my roof mounted DVD:

http://daw.redirectme.net/davespix/2006%20Pictures/1_23_06%20-%20First%20Pics%20of%20Our%202005%20SRX/slides/P1250109.JPG

onewhippedpuppy
07-18-07, 04:23 PM
I ended up buying a strap on dual monitor system for $150. Good enough.