Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  88landyacht 
#1 ·
Anyone know the redline on an '85 Brougham HT4100?

I tried to look it up, but found nothing. Would it be in the owners manual?

I am adding an aftermarket tach (lol). :eek:

#6 ·
Pretty good sign that you shouldn't race it
:thepan:

Anyways, you have an automatic. When the last yellow comes on, smash your foot to the floor, and let the trans do what it is supposed to. About 18 seconds later, you are going to watch that 307 cross the finish line first:crybaby:

In all seriousness, have fun, don't think too much, and be sure to tape it! This is going to be legendary. The only way it could get better if you could find someone with the V6, and someone with the diesel. I am pretty sure the 368 would win over all four, and the Chevy motors would beat those five.

Have you thought about a pair of slicks? LOL

#5 ·
Please don't add one of those ultra-tacky "alarm clock" tachs that sits on the dash. I'm sure there must be a solution that doesn't scream "I wanna be a drag racer!!!"

#8 ·
It will be a very small one. :highfive:

jayoldschool said:
Pretty good sign that you shouldn't race it
:thepan:

Anyways, you have an automatic. When the last yellow comes on, smash your foot to the floor, and let the trans do what it is supposed to. About 18 seconds later, you are going to watch that 307 cross the finish line first:crybaby:

In all seriousness, have fun, don't think too much, and be sure to tape it! This is going to be legendary. The only way it could get better if you could find someone with the V6, and someone with the diesel. I am pretty sure the 368 would win over all four, and the Chevy motors would beat those five.

Have you thought about a pair of slicks? LOL

It will be taped by many from all angles and from inside each car.

I may just have a trick up my sleave...

#10 ·
yeah im gonna say about 4500-5000... are you planning to actually reach that level? basically if you floor it from a stop, see what rpm's the engine kicks down at. thats your redline. i know because on every vehicle ive done that with, they all kick down at redline. the only way that the computer will ever let the RPM's pass the redline is if you manually shift gears... not advised... haha hope this helps

#11 ·
For the 4.9, the redline on the tachometer of the 92 STS and ETC is like 5200, so I'd imagine all 4.x motors are in the same general area...high 4000, low 5000 RPM.

#13 · (Edited)
For the price of a rebuilt HT4100, i could yank an LT1 from a wrecked Corvette. Motor, trans and all accessories,wiring harness and computer are about $2k with around 100k on them. My really good friends dad owns his own shop and they do engine swaps. I figure i could do the whole install for around $1500, plus a new exhaust system. So thats around $4k for a car that will run with a stock Impala SS. Maybe faster because mine weighs about 350 lbs less than the Impala and would have 40 more horsepower.

I am very serious about this,and when finances permit me to do so, its going to happen. :eek:

#15 ·
And a Sage Green one at that!

#16 ·
The Corvette LT1 is not a good choice. The exhaust manifolds won't work, and the accessory drives won't either. Also, the engine produces more HP because of the cam, which gives up torque at low RPM. The B/D body LT1 cam is designed to produce LOTS of torque at low RPM - exactly where your Caddy needs it. The Y body (Vette) is much lighter than the Caddy. By getting the LT1/4L60E from a B or D body, you will get the package you need with all the accessories. The only mods you will need are to notch the passenger side frame a little bit to fit the AC compressor, and different engine mounts. A driveshaft will work from a 90-92 with the Chev motor. Grab the trans cross member, too. It will allow you to run the factory dual exhaust. You should be able to get everything for less than 2k. Actually, the best, and by far cheapest, way to do it would be to buy a whole car. Take the complete engine, trans, crossmember, wiring harness, fuel tank, radiator and swap it in your car. You can then part out the rest, making some money. You will still get a few bucks for the shell for scrap when you are done. Complete Caprices/Roadmasters with LT1s can be had for under 2k. If you are buying a Caprice, MAKE SURE IT IS AN LT1, not an L99!!!

Let me know if you have more questions.

#17 ·
Haha that would suck, you buy a 95 Caprice because you think it's got the LT-1 but infact it's got the L99 200hp 4.3L V8. It'd be damn near impossible for the casual observer to notice too, the only difference is the dual exhaust and VIN code.

#19 ·
And the 1-2 second difference in the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.