: Can blue vinyl top be painted?

Cadillac_Limo
04-08-04, 08:34 PM
Hello all.

I recently purchased a 1985 Cadillac 6 door limo with a blue vinyl top. The vehicle had been garaged its entire life. I degreased the roof then went over it with 6 coats of Mop-n-Glo. It shined like new and was completely even. I had the windows tinted today and the tinter had to remove the chrome top door pieces. He decided to stow them on the roof. Several of the pieces had liquid of some sort on them. The only liquid he used was dish soap but perhaps there was something else that kicked loose.

In any event the result was 4 long darkened streaks on the previously perfect roof. He tried degreaser to no effect. He asked me to wait until it dryed out completely and bring it back in for his vinyl detailer to work on.

Does anyone have an opinion on the removal of stains once the sun bake them in? If the detailer is able to scrub them out would this be likely to make for a permanently uneven look? Can vinyl roofs be repainted (worst case) and still be maintained with Mop-n-Glow?

What a disappointment and I can't believe the shop thought it was good practice to place trim pieces on an obviously shiny roof.

Thanks for any input or suggestions.

SuperSport
04-08-04, 10:53 PM
Can't comment on the Mop-n-Glo but yes your roof can be painted. First it must be thoroughly cleaned of any contaminants. After degreasing, scuffing with an ultrafine 3M Scotchbrite pad may help with adhesion. A special vinyl dye made for this specific purpose is available from various manufacturers. Check out the Eastwood Co. They've got alot of specialty coatings. I'd wait a bit to see if the stains go away and keep pinging the tinter to make good.

Cadillac_Limo
04-08-04, 11:02 PM
Can't comment on the Mop-n-Glo but yes your roof can be painted. First it must be thoroughly cleaned of any contaminants. After degreasing, scuffing with an ultrafine 3M Scotchbrite pad may help with adhesion. A special vinyl dye made for this specific purpose is available from various manufacturers. Check out the Eastwood Co. They've got alot of specialty coatings. I'd wait a bit to see if the stains go away and keep pinging the tinter to make good.
Thanks, I found a few products online which are purported to remove grease stains from vinyl (which is the worst it could be). So I'm a little more optimistic that the detailer will be able to remove the substance. It would be a shame to paint the roof when it is otherwise in near perfect condition.