: Corvette

Lord Cadillac
06-29-07, 10:37 AM
Have you ever heard the rumor that Corvette may break-away from Chevrolet to become it's own division? If not, it's been a rumor going on for years.. Well, this is new...

http://media.gm.com/

gothicaleigh
06-29-07, 10:52 AM
Personally, I think it will do well for the Corvette's image to be a separate entity. Also helps the image of the V-series cars that share drivelines with the 'Vette to no longer be thought of as having a "Chevy engine".

The Corvette has been distancing itself from Chevrolet for years (minimal bow-tie badging, using it's own crossed flag design, etc.). could be a sign that they are taking the car up-market too. It already has supercar performance, maybe the build quality and price will be edged upwards to match. An American Ferrari perhaps?

CIWS
06-29-07, 11:37 AM
I don't know. When I go and click on "Corvette" news it just takes me to Chevy news.

Lord Cadillac
06-29-07, 12:29 PM
Maybe they're just slowly warming us up to the idea...

heavymetals
06-29-07, 04:34 PM
Well some Vette owners act like they are in a cult, so not a big leap. :rolleyes:

I would like to see if they would let an XLR-V join their ranks.

They sure snub the V owners in Southern Cal.

Stoneage_Caddy
06-29-07, 10:42 PM
It isnt a bad idea and would make way for the long rumored model range ..

A base "Stingray" based on Kappa and powered by the 3.6 CTS engine
A "Nomad" , also kappa based and 3.6 powered , very similar to the recent nomad concept , also keep in mind the original nomad was supposed to be based on the 53 vette
A Corvette Classic (like what we have now), coupe and vert
A z06
A "Blue Devil" the 700hp Ford GT slayer
And then a GS , a stripped down Blue Devil for racing only

I imagine stingray and corvette classic would be the "volume" cars , while blue devil is the halo car . Not to mention the marketing and sales side to finally put viper back on the trailer ...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-29-07, 11:13 PM
It might work, but would certainly be interesting too see. Maybe it would be like Maserati was for Alfa Romeo? But if this is gonna happen, who'll fill the space emptied by all the smug Corvette owners in the Chevy showrooms/service departments?

Is Chevy gonna have to adopt the Prius just so we can get our "smug share" back?

But in the end, I don't think Chevy would ever do this, there's just too much heritage in that nameplate and it's tied in so closely with Chevrolet.

DILLIGAF
06-29-07, 11:41 PM
For the most part, the corvette already stands alone.Now if they were builing them next to an Impala.I think Corvette needs to be the fastest beast in the world for the least amout of dough!

Playdrv4me
06-30-07, 02:00 AM
The reason they treat "Corvette" as a brand on the media site is because in many world-wide markets there in-fact IS NO Chevrolet. However, they still market "Corvette" as a stand-alone brand next to Cadillac/Vauxhall/Opel/Hummer etc. Most of the world would be retiscent to accept the Corvette if they had to take all of Chevrolet along with it.

This better aligns some of GM's more corporate oriented sites with those markets.

Lord Cadillac
06-30-07, 08:14 AM
The reason they treat "Corvette" as a brand on the media site is because in many world-wide markets there in-fact IS NO Chevrolet. However, they still market "Corvette" as a stand-alone brand next to Cadillac/Vauxhall/Opel/Hummer etc. Most of the world would be retiscent to accept the Corvette if they had to take all of Chevrolet along with it.

This better aligns some of GM's more corporate oriented sites with those markets.
That makes sense..

heavymetals
06-30-07, 08:22 PM
Also, a dedicated factory and museum doesn't hurt.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 02:16 PM
I've always wondered....Cadillac's and Corvettes generally are in the same price range. So why does the Corvette get all the attention? Is it because it's a sports car, and they're generally more desireable?

z06bigbird
07-01-07, 02:25 PM
Personally, I think it will do well for the Corvette's image to be a separate entity. Also helps the image of the V-series cars that share drivelines with the 'Vette to no longer be thought of as having a "Chevy engine".

The Corvette has been distancing itself from Chevrolet for years (minimal bow-tie badging, using it's own crossed flag design, etc.). could be a sign that they are taking the car up-market too. It already has supercar performance, maybe the build quality and price will be edged upwards to match. An American Ferrari perhaps?

Wow!! If the Vette becomes an "American Ferrari," who will be the first to pay Ferrari prices.

What a deal!!

gothicaleigh
07-01-07, 03:17 PM
Wow!! If the Vette becomes an "American Ferrari," who will be the first to pay Ferrari prices.
What a deal!!

They've shown that they can make it competitive on the track. Bless it with the right materials and better build quality and people would gladly pay supercar prices.

The 'Vette has the racing history to stand among the best if they wanted it to.

heavymetals
07-01-07, 04:18 PM
Well I hope they learned from Fords mistake and don't stomp ass for a couple of years then live off your reputation (or try to) for 15 to 20 years.

The GT is a neat car, but it's living off the past.

Vettes and suprisingly the CTS-V are setting the pace (in their class).