: Hyundai's new RWD coupe to get V6 power

90Brougham350
06-27-07, 09:53 AM
Those rumors of a V8-powered, RWD coupe from Hyundai? Almost true. Winding Road (http://news.windingroad.com/body-stylesmarket-segment/coupes/hyundai-our-new-rwd-coupe-will-be-v-6-not-v-8/) talked with Hyundai Vice President John Krafcik who confirmed the RWD coupe part, but didn't stutter when he said "No V8."

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/06/26/hyundais-new-rwd-coupe-to-get-v6-power/

Brian

Lord Cadillac
06-27-07, 09:56 AM
That might be a mistake...

Playdrv4me
06-27-07, 10:57 AM
Oh man, when I first read this I thought it was about the upcoming RWD LUXURY SEDAN. Yea I wasnt even aware the couple was ever slated to get V8 power to begin with.

Night Wolf
06-27-07, 11:10 AM
Yeah, I think they will keep it V6 for now...

V8 would be competing with the new Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.... something I don't think they are ready and/or want to tackle [just] yet.

Adam
06-27-07, 11:20 AM
Wow... there was such hype on the car getting a V8. I was actually hoping they would put a V8 in there with "300 hp or more". And Hyundai could have done it too. It is not like they weren't "ready". I don't know why anyone would make that statement. Hyundai has proved themselves. The Tiburon is a damn good car for what it is. There is a doctor that has one and loves it... infact more than the Mustang he traded it in for.

JimmyH
06-27-07, 11:36 AM
Wow, rwd coupe? Little Hyundai is really growing up isnt it?

Kael
06-27-07, 05:27 PM
if the v-6 is not boosted this is going to be a major mistake for hyundai.

they make good cars but they are always under powered and the engines are under engineered.
the tiberon is a great looking little car, pitty the v-6 has such a fragile block that when you try to boost it the block tends to crack.
you can boost the 4 cylinder all right.. right up to the same powerlevel as the v-6.

to change the brand image and really get some excitement they really should have a v-6 thats built for boost. that way you can market the power AND the fuel economy of the new car.

LS1Mike
06-27-07, 06:46 PM
Hyundai is not ready for a V8 RWD coupe in America. That is a FAR strech from an underpowered front wheel drive V6. They do not have ANY V8 rwd cars in America and some of you might not even remeber how bad they were when they started, They have come leaps and bounds, and I am in no hurry to trade any of my American V8's for Korean one.
GM, Ford and Mopar have been making V8's for many years and have lots of experience making the motors durable and fuel efficent as far a big motors go.
Having a rear wheel drive V8 2 door 6 speed Vehicle(2000 WS6). I wouldn't even consider Hyundai on my list of cars to check even if they had a 500 HP V8.

LS1Mike
06-27-07, 07:04 PM
Some stuff I thought about.
I don't even think Hyundai has a V8, so R&D there.
No aftermarket for a Korean V8. The LSx motors from GM and the Mod motors from Ford have a HUGE aftermarket. Something a lot of Corvette, F-body, V, GTO, Mustang drivers are looking for. No after market, no purchase.
Proven time and time again Huge power and reliability from American V8s.
Not so much from Hyundai.
Hyundai should stick to what they know for now with the way gas prices are.
Small, cheap, pretty decent transportation. It is working very good for them.

LS1Mike
06-27-07, 07:08 PM
Oh yeah and very large container ships. Their heavy industries portion.
http://www.thamesshipsociety.org.uk/images/Images2006/Hyundai-Shanghai-6-May-2006.jpg

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-07, 09:00 PM
If they're gonna use a V-6, the logical choice if they wanted a more powerful car would be the 3.8 DOHC V6 rated at like 260hp they use in the Azera SE and Limited. Or if not that, than the ~235hp 3.3L DOHC V-6 they use in the Sonata and base Azera.

Blackout
06-28-07, 05:16 AM
Some stuff I thought about.
I don't even think Hyundai has a V8, so R&D there.Wrong

No aftermarket for a Korean V8. The LSx motors from GM and the Mod motors from Ford have a HUGE aftermarket. Something a lot of Corvette, F-body, V, GTO, Mustang drivers are looking for. No after market, no purchase.It's hard to have a aftermarket for a V8 engine that isn't offered here in the US yet.

Proven time and time again Huge power and reliability from American V8s.
Not so much from Hyundai.What are you talking about "Not so much with Hyundai"? You talking about their power or their reliability? I hope to god your not reffereing to their reliablility

Hyundai should stick to what they know for now with the way gas prices are.
Small, cheap, pretty decent transportation. It is working very good for them.They know how to do that just fine. They have grown leaps and bounds from the company they used to be. Now it's time to branch out to different areas

LS1Mike
06-28-07, 07:10 AM
Well enlighten me on Hyundais V8 then.

I am refering to their reliabilty making good power numbers.
Show me which car does that does that and I talking over 400 HP N/A stock or with modifications. Not 260 hp that you guys think is good power. Here in the states Hyundai has not done that.

So yeah not so much Hynudai. Changes are you buying a RWD V8 for power and reliabilty. You don't look at Hyundai for that unless you have been driving since breakfast and you think the leap from FWD low HP cars to RWD V8 Coupes is easy.

Right no aftermarket. Depending on how many are sold and how many platforms they are using that engine in you won't see one either. No aftermarket company is going is going to spend all that money on R&D If you are using the engine in one car that sells small amounts. That is why the LSx and Mod motors have the huge following each is one is about the same in whatever they are powering and 99 percent of the parts are interchangeable LSx to LXs and Mod to Mod. Most of your folks who are buying a RWD V8 and want to track it or do anything to it, it would make sense to buy the car that already has a HUGE aftermarket support. Shit it is hard to get anything for the the stuff Hyundai makes now.
That is because they don't sell a lot of cars in the US. Last year all of Hyundai sold about half the amount of trucks GM sold. GM sold about 780,000 trucks and Hynadai sold about 450,000 cars.
So chances are they won't make a lot of the coupes, and so I like I said no aftermarket.

01) Ford F-Series: 725,459

02) Chevy Silverado: 583,673

03) Toyota Camary: 408,906

04) Toyota Corolla/Matrix: 358,010

05) Dodge RAM: 331,302

06) Honda Accord: 324,555

07) Honda Civic: 293,029

08) Chevy Impala: 263,708

09) Nissan Altima: 207,625

10) Chevy Cobalt: 197,844

11) Dodge Caravan: 197,045

12) GMC Sierra: 193,195

13) Ford Taurus: 174,461

14) Ford Explorer: 165,845

15) Ford Econoline: 164,458

16) Ford Focus: 163,455

17) Chevy Trailblazer: 162,556

18) Toyota Tacoma: 162,494

19) Honda Odyssey: 161,888

20) Ford Mustang: 155,285

21) Honda CR-V: 152,679

22) Chevy Malibu: 152,640

23) Chrysler Town & Country Minivan: 148,228

24) Toyota Sienna Minivan: 147,179

25) Chevy Tahoe: 146,230

27) Ford Escape: 142,792

32) Ford Fusion: 129,838

I pesonally will never own a Hyundai no matter how good they say they are as I am old enough to remeber their cars in the 80's and 90's.

Jonas McFeely
06-28-07, 08:07 AM
Excel ridin' son!

My pre- K, Kindergarten and 1st grade teachers all them. All different colors.It was like a cult. I remember(from age 5) them having rust! Cars were maybe 2 or 3 years old. They never ran right and i always remember them complaining to my Dad about how crappy their cars were.

Hyundai has come VERY far since those turds. I really like the new Sonata. 0-60 in 6.3!

http://www.thehyway.com/1989-Hyundai-Excel-red.jpg

LS1Mike
06-28-07, 08:36 AM
Oh no don't get me wrong, They have come a very long way!
I just don't think they will be able to compete with a RWD V8.
That is why there are many V6 import coupes. It would be hard for them to compete.

Blackout
06-28-07, 02:14 PM
Well enlighten me on Hyundais V8 then.Why should I do your homework for you? Hint: Google Hyundai Equus

I am refering to their reliabilty making good power numbers.
Show me which car does that does that and I talking over 400 HP N/A stock or with modifications. Not 260 hp that you guys think is good power. Here in the states Hyundai has not done that.Why would they make a high performance vehicle when they are trying to gain as much market share as possible? Believe it or not the performance vehicle segment is a niche market so they are focusing more on what 90% of the population wants which is a car with decent power that reliable and gets good gas mileage. Look at Hyundai versus the domestic car companies for the past 15 years and see which company has grown as much as Hyundai has.

So yeah not so much Hynudai. Changes are you buying a RWD V8 for power and reliabilty. You don't look at Hyundai for that unless you have been driving since breakfast and you think the leap from FWD low HP cars to RWD V8 Coupes is easy.When does anybody buy a RWD V8 for reliability? I have never once heard of anybody saying, "I'm looking for a reliable car.......I'm going to check out that RWD V8 car!"

Right no aftermarket. Depending on how many are sold and how many platforms they are using that engine in you won't see one either. No aftermarket company is going is going to spend all that money on R&D If you are using the engine in one car that sells small amounts.I guess you never heard of a Hyundai Tiburon running a Alpine supercharger have you? Talk about one hell of a fast car

That is why the LSx and Mod motors have the huge following each is one is about the same in whatever they are powering and 99 percent of the parts are interchangeable LSx to LXs and Mod to Mod. Most of your folks who are buying a RWD V8 and want to track it or do anything to it, it would make sense to buy the car that already has a HUGE aftermarket support. Shit it is hard to get anything for the the stuff Hyundai makes now.Besides the Tiburon who in the hell is going to try and make their Sonata, Accent, etc. into some sorta race car? Your comparing sports cars to economy cars and wondering why there isn't more aftermarket for the economy car. Gee.....I wonder why there isn't a huge aftermarket for those Toyota Prius's. Those things are mad fast yo!!!:bigroll:

That is because they don't sell a lot of cars in the US. Last year all of Hyundai sold about half the amount of trucks GM sold. GM sold about 780,000 trucks and Hynadai sold about 450,000 cars.
So chances are they won't make a lot of the coupes, and so I like I said no aftermarket.Are you really comparing the sales figures of Hyundai to one of the largest autmakers in the world? Please tell me you are joking about this! PLEASE!!! BTW check out sales figures for the past 4-5 years. Domestic companies have been losing market share while Hyundai si one of the few companies that continually gains market shares.

01) Ford F-Series: 725,459

02) Chevy Silverado: 583,673

03) Toyota Camary: 408,906

04) Toyota Corolla/Matrix: 358,010

05) Dodge RAM: 331,302

06) Honda Accord: 324,555

07) Honda Civic: 293,029

08) Chevy Impala: 263,708

09) Nissan Altima: 207,625

10) Chevy Cobalt: 197,844

11) Dodge Caravan: 197,045

12) GMC Sierra: 193,195

13) Ford Taurus: 174,461

14) Ford Explorer: 165,845

15) Ford Econoline: 164,458

16) Ford Focus: 163,455

17) Chevy Trailblazer: 162,556

18) Toyota Tacoma: 162,494

19) Honda Odyssey: 161,888

20) Ford Mustang: 155,285

21) Honda CR-V: 152,679

22) Chevy Malibu: 152,640

23) Chrysler Town & Country Minivan: 148,228

24) Toyota Sienna Minivan: 147,179

25) Chevy Tahoe: 146,230

27) Ford Escape: 142,792

32) Ford Fusion: 129,838Your clueless

LS1Mike
06-28-07, 02:27 PM
as Hyundai has.

When does anybody buy a RWD V8 for reliability? I have never once heard of anybody saying, "I'm looking for a reliable car.......I'm going to check out that RWD V8 car!"

I guess, you know nothing about Cadillacs...You may be the one who knows nothing about reliabilty. People buy Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, V's and GTO because they make good power RELIABLELY.

Are you really comparing the sales figures of Hyundai to one of the largest autmakers in the world? Please tell me you are joking about this! PLEASE!!! BTW check out sales figures for the past 4-5 years. Domestic companies have been losing market share while Hyundai si one of the few companies that continually gains market shares.

I am not joking. You have to if they are going to compete in the RWD V8 market.

Your clueless
Your personal insults concern me not. I have read some of your other post...:bigroll:

Playdrv4me
06-28-07, 02:53 PM
Japanese cars were rustbucket little piles of econobox crap when they first came here too, and say what you will about them, no one born in the last 15 years would have a clue.

I wouldnt own a Hyundai simply because right now they are not innovating ENOUGH, not because I feel they should stick to econocars. For example, as of yet on my watch there is no domestic Hyundai with Xenon lights... big detractor. There is no V8 powered Hyundai SUV etc etc. All of the things I like.

I mean, no matter what, youre not gonna convice the anti-import people that Hyundai of all things is worth a crap... but the facts are there and Ive driven the cars. My moms 2000 Elantra, arguably still in a period of growing pains for them, was beaten on to death and very poorly maintained. She had at least two accidents in the thing and it never had a SINGLE major problem but one bad spark plug. It was also fairly peppy. I still got 3000.00 for that car when I traded it in for her 5 or 6 years later. Thats more than a Northstar Cadillac with a blown headgasket at least.

JimmyH
06-28-07, 03:37 PM
Motor Trend picked the new Hyundai Veracruz (<-?) over the Lexus RX330.

They are going places. (Hyundai I mean)

Lord Cadillac
06-28-07, 04:16 PM
Guys, keep it civil, please.. It's okay to agree to disagree..

That being said, the new Hyundai V8 has 340 horsepower and the capability of being supercharged..

However, I think Hyundai WOULD have a difficult time competing with the Mustang, the new Camaro and the new Challenger.. I honestly feel that even if the Hyundai is just as fast, the design of these domestics is just too nice.. Think about the new Camaro and the new Challenger.. The Mustang has been out a while and even that is a real head-turner.. It would be difficult for Hyundai's V8 Tiburon to compete - and maybe that IS INDEED the reason they've decided against it..

It would be easier to compete against other imports like the G35 coupe, etcetera.. Cars that are bearly getting into the 13s...

Blackout
06-28-07, 05:04 PM
Guys, keep it civil, please.. It's okay to agree to disagree..

That being said, the new Hyundai V8 has 340 horsepower and the capability of being supercharged..

However, I think Hyundai WOULD have a difficult time competing with the Mustang, the new Camaro and the new Challenger.. I honestly feel that even if the Hyundai is just as fast, the design of these domestics is just too nice.. Think about the new Camaro and the new Challenger.. The Mustang has been out a while and even that is a real head-turner.. It would be difficult for Hyundai's V8 Tiburon to compete - and maybe that IS INDEED the reason they've decided against it..

It would be easier to compete against other imports like the G35 coupe, etcetera.. Cars that are bearly getting into the 13s...
Overall I think it would be in their best interest to go into the V8 RWD coupe market. I think Hyundai would know going into it that it's not going to dethrone the Mustang for being the best selling V8 RWD coupe out there but it could possibly put a dent in it. Hell if they were to bring me a V8 RWD coupe with 300 hp or more and with the engine being designed for future technologies ie., turbo's or superchargered (spy pics show the prototype coupe with a turbo on it). But the main reason it would be a smart move to go with the V8 is it could be good publicity for them to rub it in the Jap's faces. They've been around for how long and how many Japanese brands have brought us a RWD V8 coupe? Umm......none that I can think of. Plus on top of it if it comes from the factory with forced induction then power gains are going to be easy as pie and then there would be huge aftermarket available for it and also having a 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty would also peek some peoples interest as well. With the new Hyundai Genesis or whatever they're going to call it coming out in the not to distant future that will mark the beginning of the future for them.

Blackout
06-28-07, 05:14 PM
I guess, you know nothing about Cadillacs...You may be the one who knows nothing about reliabilty. People buy Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, V's and GTO because they make good power RELIABLELY.Hyundai makes huge container ships........you think they can't make a reliable V8 for a car?

I am not joking. You have to if they are going to compete in the RWD V8 market.So sales figures dictate whether or not one can compete in a market? Your forgetting that GM and Ford have been around for a century so they have a established fan base as well as a hell of a lot longer time to build up their company. Hyundai started selling cars in the US in 1986. So in a matter of 21 years they are making vehicles that winning awards that beat out the likes of Lexus, BMW, Ford, Chrysler, etc. I'd say Hyundai is doing one hell of a job in such a short lifetime here.

Your personal insults concern me not. I have read some of your other post...:bigroll:I'm not really concerned about if anything I say concerns you. What your saying makes zero sense to what were talking about. Your argument is that Hyundai's are junk because they don't sell as many vehicles as GM does. Well geez I guess Ferrari, Lamborghini, Aston Martin, Porsche, Saleen (S7 or S7 TT), etc. must be junk because their not selling as many vehicles as GM. Just because you don't personally like them doesn't mean they are junk because they are far from it. I'm sure if Hyundai's lineup had a Chevy logo on it you would probably think they're great vehicles, but because it's a Hyundai it's junk.

LS1Mike
06-28-07, 05:24 PM
You totally missed my point.
The reason why Hyundai is using a V6 is because they are smart.
They don't want to compete with the Mustang, New Mopar and New rear drive V8 GMs. They will compete with the V6 version and smaller import cars. They don't want to and probablly can't compete with the following that GM, Ford, and Mopar RWD V8 2 door cars have.
That is a tough niche. That is reason the F-body took a hiatus. It is tough to sell large numbers of them. It is the same reason you don't see Toyota or Honda making some bad ass V8 RWD car for sale here when they probally could. They don't need that type of car to sell their cars. GM has set a target to sell 100,000 Camaros a year. V8 and V6. I think they will do good for the first couple of years like the the new Mustang did but sales of that have slown as well.
Hyundai wants to sell and I bet they will sell alot of V6 cars easy. That is what most of Mustang sales are.

I didn't say they were junk, I personally do not like them. I would not have one.

As for Hyundai making a reliable V8, it remains to be seen their 4.6 is fairly new. It may be crap, it may be great.

Put your dick back in your pants man or you can go back to thinking you know everything there is to know about cars.
I am done here, because obviously you know everything at 23.

Playdrv4me
06-28-07, 05:44 PM
:food-snacking:

Jonas McFeely
06-28-07, 06:00 PM
Im about to eat lazagna. :eek:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-28-07, 11:09 PM
Im about to eat lazagna. :eek:

Yuck!
http://www.acarplace.com/reviews/2000/im/leganza-front.jpg

:food-snacking:

Exactly!

You totally missed my point.
The reason why Hyundai is using a V6 is because they are smart.
They don't want to compete with the Mustang, New Mopar and New rear drive V8 GMs. They will compete with the V6 version and smaller import cars. They don't want to and probablly can't compete with the following that GM, Ford, and Mopar RWD V8 2 door cars have.
That is a tough niche. That is reason the F-body took a hiatus. It is tough to sell large numbers of them. It is the same reason you don't see Toyota or Honda making some bad ass V8 RWD car for sale here when they probally could.

Great point Mike! I agree with that. If Hyundai was to build a "muscle car" (dunno if a foreign car can be considered a muscle car), made to compete directly with the Mustang, Challenger, Camaro it wouldn't sell a lot, mainly (IMO) because the guys who buy the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger tend to be very brand loyal and buying one of the other american cars (not to mention the Korean one) would practically be a sin in their eyes!

But the main reason it would be a smart move to go with the V8 is it could be good publicity for them to rub it in the Jap's faces. They've been around for how long and how many Japanese brands have brought us a RWD V8 coupe? Umm......none that I can think of.

SC400! I think it'd be in their best bets if Hyundai made the car to compete with the G35 (G37 now?), but at a price level with the Challenger/ Camaro/Mustang. That way it wouldn't be a direct competitor for either, because people who look at Infinitis probably wouldn't consider a Hyundai, and people who buy "pony cars" tend to be quite brand loyal and like I said earlier, wouldn't even consider a car made from one of the other "top 3" much less a foreign car!

This is a good debate. I was reading this at work earlier today but didn't have time to make a good post.

Jonas McFeely
06-29-07, 07:37 AM
Yuck!
http://www.acarplace.com/reviews/2000/im/leganza-front.jpg

Holy shit LOLOL. Good one. +1

I wouldnt have thought of that in a million years.