: a good summer job

the cadillac kid
06-26-07, 10:00 PM
hey all

lookin for a summer job.
i dont want to flip burgers or do anything thats gonna get me only like 8 bucks an hour.
i'm lookin for something that'll get me like $10 or more per hour & wont consume all my time.. after all, i am looking to enjoy my last summer before college.

thanks all

mike

creeker
06-26-07, 10:17 PM
hey all

lookin for a summer job.
i dont want to flip burgers or do anything thats gonna get me only like 8 bucks an hour.
i'm lookin for something that'll get me like $10 or more per hour & wont consume all my time.. after all, i am looking to enjoy my last summer before college.

thanks all

mike

You cant lose with a resume like that,the offers should start rolling in any time. Good luck

DILLIGAF
06-26-07, 10:21 PM
Be a drug dealer or exotic dancer,or how bout you get a job flipping burgers for min wage.My kid works for 8 bucks an hour,why are you better than he is?My kid will be 19 in Aug and this is his 4th summer of full time employment.2 years on a bobcat in const for 6 bucks an hour and 2 years in a machine shop for 7 an hour,he just got a raise.

behind-bars
06-26-07, 10:32 PM
Once you find a job at 10$ per hour meeting that criteria please share lol.

Ive been working the same place for 4 years while in school, started just above min wage and still not quite up to 8$ yet. Flipping burgers may get you 6, most likely not 8.

I would just look at retail stores in your area, You can usually get 7 atleast if you avoid the stores in the mall which generally pay less since they are more popular thus more applicants. Some of its not easy work though.

the cadillac kid
06-26-07, 10:32 PM
if i wanted to be a drug dealer i'd make crazy money -- but i turned that down years ago. When my friends were making 400+ bucks a week spreading shit through the school, i still turned them down.

rp64, y are u bringing your son into this & making it personal .."are u better than him" (side note which wont help my case, i'll be 19 in august as well).

there are jobs out there that can offer me what i want... why should i settle?
if i dont know something, i'll be bold and ASK [gasp!] maybe someone will come forward and share some wisdom rather than make mocking remarks... afterall, what kinda people would we be if we tried shooting people down and trying to constantly demean them rather than helping them

min wage in NJ is 7.50 i think.
i know of a couple jobs where i can easily make over 10 an hour, but one of them would require me to leave the house around 5AM each day & come back around 3 or 4PM... the other two require some "training" and i'm leaning towards them more, but i need to start making money right away.
i'm just trying to find out what other options there are.

behind-bars
06-26-07, 10:51 PM
if i dont know something, i'll be bold and ASK [gasp!] maybe someone will come forward and share some wisdom rather than make mocking remarks... afterall, what kinda people would we be if we tried shooting people down and trying to constantly demean them rather than helping them

i know of a couple jobs where i can easily make over 10 an hour, but one of them would require me to leave the house around 5AM each day & come back around 3 or 4PM... the other two require some "training" and i'm leaning towards them more, but i need to start making money right away.

7.50 for min wage? If thats the case then your right, shouldnt be to hard. Here in Texas I think we just use the federal 5.15. I went by some wireless companies and they pay well, 10-12/hr, problem is they require training and most want you to stay indefinately, not real crazy about just hiring summer help.

Slaigher
06-27-07, 03:23 AM
Around here, donut shops pay +$10.00/hr and are short-staffed. Loads of help wanted signs. Up north, I think they get +$17.00/hr to pour coffee. It's strange to see the closed signs up because no-one will work for those wages...

JC316
06-27-07, 03:29 AM
Hell, 5 years ago I had a $10 an hour job doing cleaning for an electrical contractor. I had an inside to get the job, but they are usually pretty short staffed for the lowly clean up guy.

Jesda
06-27-07, 03:51 AM
Go work in tech support. You'll wish you were flipping burgers.

Night Wolf
06-27-07, 06:21 AM
You are 18, no job and have a 2006 CTS?!?

Anyway.... if getting up at 5AM is what it takes, then thats what it takes.... unless you were born into wealth money dosn't come free.

When I was 16, my first job was working at a camp ground, I was getting barely more then minum wage at $5.50/hr... working at a camp ground is an awesome Summer job, and I would highly reccomend it, but I dunno about getting $10/hr.

Last year while going thru tech school I worked at Advance Auto... that was a really cool job too, and I enjoy customer service (most of the time) I was a great job while going thru school... I dunno what the minium wage was in Florida, but I was making $8.25/hr, which seems like it wouldn't even be worth getting up in the morning for you.

Caddy Man
06-27-07, 06:34 AM
Bro...sorry man but your being way too picky. Dont mean to be an ass...but if you want money you gotta work for it so if that means getting your ass up early as shit then you gotta do what you gotta do.

Around here...if you have no college education, and no formal training in a field (such as electrical work, carpentry) then $10.00 per hour is a pretty good wage. I think Michigan also goes by the Federal $5.15 minimum wage. Almost all people working in retail around here (Victorias Secret, Express, Guess, etc) like most high school/college students do only pull in about 7-8 dollars an hour.

No offense but you sound a bit prissy with all those ''conditions'' for a temporary summer job.

BIG ERN
06-27-07, 06:54 AM
spoiled brat

Boombotz
06-27-07, 07:16 AM
If you want to earn good money and learn how to earn a dollar, which it doesn't seem like from your post though. Become a waitor. You will make good money in a short amount of time only if you work your ass off and have a good personality.

urbanski
06-27-07, 07:17 AM
move boxes at night for UPS

EcSTSatic
06-27-07, 08:34 AM
I make a helluva lot more than that and I don't have an '06 CTS :eek:

Wasn't Fred Maxwell making that much parking carts at Home Depot? I think a lifeguard job would be an ultimate last fling.

RunningOnEMT
06-27-07, 09:00 AM
work for a tradesman....oh wait you don't want long hours

work as a machinist or mechanics asst....oh yea no practical experience

dude suck it up do something for 850 an hour...I worked as a line cook and loved it...until I got my AME cert and started running the machine shop.

Night Wolf
06-27-07, 09:32 AM
heck, I worked in a nusring home for 2 years while in high school, in NY, it was my 2nd job (betwen the camp ground and Advance in Florida) I worked in the kitchen, it was awesome, I really liked it and I was making pretty good money, started at $8.26 and left at $9.18/hr that was 2-3 years ago too.

Although I did have to start at 6AM on the weekends and work a 6-8 or even 10- hour day. I would highly reccomend working in the dietary department of a nursing home also, it is a pretty good job.... downside was our kitchen did not have AC and in the middle of NY Summer with the steam tables on, dish washer running and ovens on, it would get pretty hot in there... but unlimited drinks, food, ice creame was nice too.

gary88
06-27-07, 10:32 AM
Shit I work for $6.50 an hour right now ($7.50 here soon) and I'm not complaining. Gotta start out doing the bad jobs so you can appreciate a good job when it comes around. If I really want more money I sell things on ebay. And I still have time to enjoy my last summer before college.

My first job was at 16 at a gym for $5 cash out of the owners pocket.

DILLIGAF
06-27-07, 12:49 PM
if i wanted to be a drug dealer i'd make crazy money -- but i turned that down years ago. When my friends were making 400+ bucks a week spreading shit through the school, i still turned them down.

rp64, y are u bringing your son into this & making it personal .."are u better than him" (side note which wont help my case, i'll be 19 in august as well).

I made it personal because you need to get a clue kid.It blows my mind how some kids think,we have 8 kids working in our shop for the summer.3 are good 5 are worthless!,working for a crappy wage working shitty hours is called paying your dues and you obviously feel your above that,should I go on?Good luck with life friend,woops gotta go back to work(work is so inconvienent):rolleyes:

Jonas McFeely
06-27-07, 07:00 PM
I make a helluva lot more than that and I don't have an '06 CTS :eek:

Wasn't Fred Maxwell making that much parking carts at Home Depot? I think a lifeguard job would be an ultimate last fling.

LOL Fred Maxwell LOL

Anyhoo. I posted a thing on Craigslist saying i can drive anything and i dont mind lifting heavy things and i would like to make good money, I got a call a few days later from my current employer. $10 an hour. Its hard work, but i also get to drive an air-conditioned truck for a good portion of the day. I got kinda lucky.

Before that i worked at Beef O Bradys as a cook making $7 an hour. Before that at the car auction making $6.50, then $8.00.

Im sayin', you have to work your way up. Working a shit job is part of life. Pay your dues and then bitch. You cant hope for anything over $8 with no real experience in the work place, unless you have one helluva connect.

Im struggling enough trying pay all of my bills and figure out how i can finance a '95-'96 Maxima for between $3-4k. You drive a new CTS. Quit your bitchin'. Ask your parents for some summer spending money.

c5 rv
06-27-07, 09:41 PM
It might be tough to find the perfect summer job at the end of June. Also, you will probably want to quit by the end of July so you can enjoy yourself for a few weeks before going off to college.

jchughes101
06-28-07, 09:08 AM
As stated before, waiting tables is a good way to make some quick cash. You will have to go through training and you may need to be 19 to serve alcohol but you can make $10 for sure at a good restaurant. You will have to work nights though. The only job i had making $10/ hour cash between high school and college was roofing, and i did not put the shingles on. Two friends and I slaved away for 3 months tearing shingles off in 90 + degree temps, never again. Also, check out landscaping crews, they always need people to dig holes and haul rocks. Check out country clubs, they have a wide range of jobs that usually have good pay. But like someone else said, it is the end of June, good luck.

Night Wolf
06-28-07, 11:25 AM
As stated before, waiting tables is a good way to make some quick cash. You will have to go through training and you may need to be 19 to serve alcohol but you can make $10 for sure at a good restaurant. You will have to work nights though. The only job i had making $10/ hour cash between high school and college was roofing, and i did not put the shingles on. Two friends and I slaved away for 3 months tearing shingles off in 90 + degree temps, never again. Also, check out landscaping crews, they always need people to dig holes and haul rocks. Check out country clubs, they have a wide range of jobs that usually have good pay. But like someone else said, it is the end of June, good luck.

landscaping would require hard work and possibly long hours.... those were "can't do's" in his request....

illumina
06-28-07, 11:38 AM
move boxes at night for UPS

Screw UPS, they will take his entire first paycheck for union dues, and that just wouldn't be worth it for a summer job.

I suggest Fedex; no union and they start all package handlers out at $10 per hour. Night shifts will usually see $11.50 per hour.

Young DeVille
06-28-07, 03:35 PM
Work at the Home Depot.... I guarantee no less than $10.00 hour... And I work there and get almost double that amount and I'm not a supervisor.

dkozloski
06-28-07, 08:11 PM
My grandson is just about helpless and makes $20+/hr. in security for a gold mine and on a military base. He works odd shifts and gets to carry a gun.

Florian
06-28-07, 10:17 PM
you could suck a few mules and make BIG BUCKS....hell, take a few in the keister and youre livin large, bro! I gar-on-tee more than 10/hr

F

Jonas McFeely
06-28-07, 10:20 PM
you could suck a few mules and make BIG BUCKS....hell, take a few in the keister and youre livin large, bro! I gar-on-tee more than 10/hr

F

:gurl::gurl::gurl::gurl::gurl::gurl::gurl:

DILLIGAF
06-28-07, 10:38 PM

F
We are truely in the presence of greatness:worship:

Florian
06-28-07, 11:10 PM
We are truely in the presence of greatness:worship:

RP, you crack me up.

F

whitesoldat
06-29-07, 12:01 AM
AHAHAHAHA This post is great but honestly who the hell has an 2006 CTS and no job, and demands $10/hr+ with stipulations and no credentials. I'd love to have a brand new car make $20/hr and come in on my own hours but it's just as realistic as this guy. in other words it's not going to happen. I busted my @ss for two years to have the STS i have, doing everything under the sun. I think this kid proves 1 thing lifes not fair. He probably takes the CTS in to the dealership for an oil change, but for the rest of the working world we pay with our money by working really hard for it. So to come here and say I'm looking for a summer job that pays more than what the majority makes is ridiculous. Full-time or none-time, with an '06 CTS I'm sure your Dad or Mom will give you whatever you need.

Jonas McFeely
06-29-07, 07:40 AM
:yeah:

Night Wolf
06-29-07, 01:24 PM
my 1996 Town Car is the newst car I've owned.... I paid $3,500 for it and that was pretty much my limit..... pay all my bills on my own.....

Growing up my mom would help me out when she could, but we were pretty poor.... heck my parents just got their newest, most expensive car.... a 1998 Buick Park Ave for $5,000, is been almost 10 years since they got a car.

I was raised in a practical sense, having mommy and daddy get you a new '06 Cadillac CTS without a job just seems wrong.... I honestly woudln't like that.... heck I was really proud to drive around my $500 '89 Oldsmobile that I bought myself.

I dunno, I am just really proud to buy my own things and not have things handed to me.

Kev
06-29-07, 01:30 PM
I came up similar. I had to pay work for and earn everything I got after the age of 15. I worked all through high school at a grocery store and as soon as I graduated I started paying room and board at home.

I learned the value of the few things I owned and I learned the importance of good work ethics.

Night Wolf
06-29-07, 01:35 PM
Well, I guess I shouldn't be a hypocrite... my parents gave me a free Cadillac too :bigroll:

pabstcadillac
06-29-07, 01:37 PM
"Take a job you love & you'll never work a day in your life"

Having said that, think about what you like to do. If it's cars, maybe a custom shop, selling them or even at Best Buy in the car audio dept. They pay pretty well. If it's golf you love, work at a country club & supplement your wages by gambling on the course. IMHO this is one thing that people should not settle on, it their job/career. I honestly believe my dad hasn't worked a day in his life because he has managed to make money off of his hobbies & interests. :2cents: :alchi:

RightTurn
06-29-07, 02:56 PM
"Take a job you love & you'll never work a day in your life"

Having said that, think about what you like to do. If it's cars, maybe a custom shop, selling them or even at Best Buy in the car audio dept. They pay pretty well. If it's golf you love, work at a country club & supplement your wages by gambling on the course. IMHO this is one thing that people should not settle on, it their job/career. I honestly believe my dad hasn't worked a day in his life because he has managed to make money off of his hobbies & interests. :2cents: :alchi:

PC, he's talking about a 2-month summer job. LMAO. No need wax philosophical about this. :alchi:

:lol:

Kev
06-29-07, 03:11 PM
PC, he's talking about a 2-month summer job. LMAO. No need wax philosophical about this. :alchi:

:lol::yeah:

$10/hour x 20 hrs/week = $200/week x 8.6 (weeks in 2 months) = $1,720.00 - 34% (income tax withholding) = $1,135.20 +/- net pay.

Good luck.

nikon
06-29-07, 05:14 PM
I started off as a bag-boy at 14...hated it, but did it for 3-4 years...then worked for a dealership as a valet...then assistant manager, then wanted to learn mechanics so I went out to the shop....didn't make a killing but it was ok for a part time job 7-7.50hr I think....but like already stated you have to work your way up, or get luckly and work for your dad ;)....2 years ago I started as a trainee appraiser cost me 1000$ to become one (liscence/schooling) and working for my dad for half price (standard practice)...well my two years are up...I take my exams in july and then my state boards....I will then go back to college to be an attorney....so why not find that 'good' job work a while then go back to school??? I know appraising I can do 1-2 appraisals a week (easily doable on school schedule) and make $2400 a month...subtract taxes but still....you just gotta work your way up and work hard....doing what i do, if the business is there you have the opportunity to make 6 figures....maybe you shouldn't go to college yet? and figure out what the real world is like...I had somewhat of the same mentality in high school, working changed my mentality...I now can't wait to go to law school. (florida pre-paid and public law school, gotta love it :D )

pabstcadillac
06-29-07, 05:23 PM

:lol:

It's still important to do something that you enjoy. It may help to determine if it's a potential career path. :alchi:

My second job was in a BINGO hall & ever since then I've been intrigued with the gaming industry. I wish I would have stuck with it and hardly a day goes by that I don't consider picking up & giving it another shot. :alchi:

RightTurn
06-29-07, 05:34 PM
It's still important to do something that you enjoy. It may help to determine if it's a potential career path. :alchi:

My second job was in a BINGO hall & ever since then I've been intrigued with the gaming industry. I wish I would have stuck with it and hardly a day goes by that I don't consider picking up & giving it another shot. :alchi:

So. Did you spin the ball basket or call out the numbers? :alchi: Special training required?

pabstcadillac
06-29-07, 05:57 PM
So. Did you spin the ball basket or call out the numbers? :alchi: Special training required?

Actually I did, but there was some specialty training. I know it sounds crazy, but being it was soooo heavily regulated by the state there were strict procedures. :alchi:

DILLIGAF
06-29-07, 06:02 PM
MC 's got a mean streak tonight!You can spin on,nevermind:bouncy:

RightTurn
06-29-07, 06:14 PM
MC 's got a mean streak tonight!You can spin on,nevermind:bouncy:

Muhahaha. You know you love me. :RightTurn: Thought you had a date for Mexican food?

DILLIGAF
06-29-07, 06:32 PM
Cool people eat after 8.00,and yes,yoo's my dream babe.