: Chinese tires face recall - About 450,000 tires are missing an important safety featu

CIWS
06-26-07, 09:35 PM
Chinese tires face recall

About 450,000 tires are missing an important safety feature; U.S. safety officials reportedly want importer to issue full recall.

June 26 2007: 5:05 AM EDT

NEW YORK (Reuters) -- A New Jersey importer of Chinese-made automobile tires has asked the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration for help in recalling about 450,000 of the light truck tires because they lack an important safety feature, lawyers said.
The tires, made by Hangzhou Zhongce Rubber Co., have an insufficient or missing gum strip, a safety feature that helps prevent the tires from separating, the lawyers and a consumers' group said in a statement. The group, Safety Research & Strategies, is urging retailers and wholesalers to stop selling the tires.

The New Jersey importer, Foreign Tire Sales, has told U.S. safety officials the tires were sold under the names Westlake, Telluride Compass and YKS, according to lawyers representing families of people involved in a car accident blamed on the tires.

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/26/news/international/tire_recall.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

danbuc
06-26-07, 10:09 PM
Man, the Chinese have been making some real sh*tty stuff recently. Time to start making stuff back home. It may cost more, but you know it's done right.

DILLIGAF
06-26-07, 10:13 PM
I love,,,,,,,,, chinese food!Everything else is shit

the cadillac kid
06-27-07, 12:46 AM
just saw this on the news this afternoon.
the problem was the tread was seperating after a while.
unfortunately, the recall and all this were sparked by a bad car accident. The driver & passenger of a car that was using these tires got into a fatal accident, both were killed.
on the news (abc 7) they were saying something about how the manufacter or dealer or whoever was more focused on making a profit than the safety & they are to blame. the mourning families are taking legal action against the company, i think.

Spyder
06-27-07, 12:59 AM
So, CIWS...should the companys warehouse, machinery and inventory be confiscated by the government because they made a mistake, a bad judgement call? :):D:p

Seriously though, this is good for us. Sucks how it had to be found out, but definately good for US economy. I like it.

JimmyH
06-27-07, 12:38 PM
See, China is the new U.S. Wait until they discover the adverse effects of dumping toxic waste into their rivers...

danbuc
06-27-07, 05:08 PM
All in due time....

77CDV
06-27-07, 08:10 PM
You get the quality you pay for. On a side note, I just read where Kumho Tires is releasing a lavendar-scented tire, sized to fit most of the standard family sedans. Now the Camry and Accord can be even more wussy, if such is even possible.

AJxtcman
06-27-07, 08:34 PM
You get the quality you pay for. On a side note, I just read where Kumho Tires is releasing a lavendar-scented tire, sized to fit most of the standard family sedans. Now the Camry and Accord can be even more wussy, if such is even possible.

I sold Kumho tires in the 80's
They are from where?
Do you know?
Do you know the story of the brothers?
Korea?
how about the biggest junk Tyre on are planet. Vogue.
who are they and who owns them?

Florian
06-27-07, 11:56 PM
I sold Kumho tires in the 80's
They are from where?
Do you know?
Do you know the story of the brothers?
Korea?
how about the biggest junk Tyre on are planet. Vogue.
who are they and who owns them?

what the hell is this, the inquisition??? no, we dont know.... SO Answer your fooking Qs already.

Sheeesh.

F

CIWS
06-28-07, 09:17 AM
Not too disimilar to the Firestone / Explorer incident a few years back. Several rollover accidents and deaths had occured because of faulty tire manufacture and it took SEVERAL deaths and media attention to the problem before Firestone finally ponied up and activated a recall.

As I read it here this is a similar problem, the company has yet to actually make a recall of the product, so buyers beware.