Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Navigation system making noise

3K views 34 replies 16 participants last post by  JimmyH 
#1 ·
Drove in my friend's V yesterday. Great car, I love it, but one thing that bugged the heck out of me was his navigation unit. Every couple of seconds you could hear the CD "spinning up", just like the sound in a computer when you play a CD. It was loud, and I could hear it from the back seat even. I've never HEARD of that happening before, and I didn't know you had to have the navigation CD in the drive in order to use the GPS....... do you? He said you do, and I called him on it and called the Cadillac dealership, but the Cadillac dealership agreed with him.

I thought the navigation CD was only to load the maps, firmware, or whatever else, and then you were done with it.

Is it true you need to have the Nav CD in the drive whenever you want to use the GPS!? What if you want to watch a DVD, do you have to take the NavCD out, pop in a DVD.... and then what if you want to switch back to GPS for a minute... do you have to swap the disks again?

Doesn't make sense guys :-/ I've never heard of a car's GPS needing to have a CD in the drive when you want to use it.

#2 ·
All factory NAV systems require a DVD to read the map data off of - the onboard GPS unit simply tells the system where to place you on the map.

If you drive with a DVD movie playing in the Nav screen, be prepared for a ticket as it violates Federal Law. It's a good law too, because the only thing you should be watching while driving is the road.

#3 ·
If you can hear the nav while driving then you need a new exhaust or the whine of a maggie under the hood :)

The map dvd needs to be in the drive and is accessed by the nav as you drive. The only systems I know of that let you download the maps into the nav or put it on some kind of memory stick are aftermarket units and those can't usually hold the entire US map at once.

Like Tony said, the system does not have the capability to use the nav while playing a dvd movie since they use the same drive and like he said, it's against federal law to have a movie player that can be viewed by the driver.

#7 ·
Mine makes the same sound. I never noticed until last week while at a stop light with no music on. Works fine, but it can be annoying. Just turn on some music and get on down the road.
On a side note.....of course it's illegal to play a DVD while driving. Now if all you that said that have never hit 80+ mph in your V, then may he take your advice seriously. If you've been above 80+ mph, stop calling the kettle black.

#9 ·
It is annoying, but dealable. I think its my phone on vibration in the cup holder. Gets me everytime. Driving and watching is dangerous. I only watch stuff I already know or watched before. Definately helped me get from Jerz to Florida and back.

#11 ·
so my question is do other cars have this problem?

I mean no offense, really, i love this car, and i can't wait to get mine, but i'm wondering if i'm going to end up keeping it for that long, it seems the problems and quirks are just insane. And before you start flaming me just because you own and love your V, just think logically... this is a hell of a lot of money to drop into a car that has more problems than I can name off on the fingers on my hands. Does the STS-V navigation system make a noise?

#17 ·
When I get in the car and start it up I hear the DVD being accessed, a few spins/reads, but then that's all, and I never hear it again. Now that could be because once I start moving I usually have the radio on, windows down, and/or hear the sound of my car's engine and exhaust, road noise from the tires, etc. But I've never even given it a second thought.

S.D. all I see is :aniredx:

#24 ·
You can't honestly believe that speeding while paying attention to the road is equally as dangerous as being distracted while driving. Are both illegal? Yes. But so are Murder and Vandalism, and you can't tell me that those are equal in your eyes too.

Saying "he does bad stuff, too" doesn't make your actions any less irresponsible.

#26 ·
You can't honestly believe that speeding while paying attention to the road is equally as dangerous as being distracted while driving.
No, of course not. Again, it's just that WE'RE not going to change anything. They will still do it, so there's no need to jump on someone for something like that when it wasn't even the main topic of the post. That's all. No big deal. He'll still ride with the movie on and we'll still speed. Happens every day. :thumbsup:

#27 ·
There's worse things to worry about when you drive than worrying someone watching a movie, like women on a cell phone in a big SUV or drunks or people that hate turn signals or old folks that shouldn't be driving, or or or...
If you're dumb enough to get stopped and leave you movie playing you should get a ticket for it.
Oh yeah, my DVD only makes noise to spin up.

#28 ·
I don't believe in turning a blind eye to idiocy- The "one man can't make a difference" mentality is an excuse for laziness and lack of willingness to try. If I can convince one person to not stare at a movie on a Nav screen while driving, that is one less person I have to worry about rear-ending me (or anyone else) at a stoplight.

Think about the last time you stopped at a red light: Remember the person behind you that didn't drive into your bumper doing 50? They might have read a post like this on a forum- you never know.

#29 ·
I was stuck behind someone last week, he was in the left lane on I-94 going about 65 (when most everyone else is doing 80, or trying to)

The guy was on the phone, judging by the way his head was turning and bobbing he was really arguing with someone. I dont know if that is worse or someone watching tv. At least people watching tv have some attention on the road.

#30 ·
guys... i wasn't trying to imply that i would be watching a movie while driving. seriously.

i guess when i said "so it needs the disk to be in when using the nav? what about if i want to watch a movie, do i have to take the nav disk out every time?" i was just expressing my frustration at having to remove the disk... not my intent on watching a movie...

i mean shoot, i've got going on 8 years of driving, and i have yet to get a ticket... have yet to get pulled over for something i did wrong (i've been pulled over for a taillight being out before, etc. that doesn't count. no ticket issued, no warning). i have never been in a wreck, i have never hit anyone, and i don't intend to.

shoot, you're talking to the guy that won't answer the phone while he's driving unless he's wearing his bluetooth headset...

seriously. i won't watch movies while driving. promise :p

#31 ·
i have never been in a wreck, i have never hit anyone, and i don't intend to
thats why its called an accident.

You are killing me. I hear it all the time now that I'm listening for it. I have to turn the radio up. I'm just glad I found a new channel on xm to listen to. I do agree with driving and talking, just can't be done. Well it can, but not to the level we all take it. Then you get the asses out there that can't drive to begin with. Urgh its pissing me off just thnking about it.

#34 ·
thats why its called an accident.
Haven't you seen Hot Fuzz?? It's no longer called an accident, now it's a collision :histeric: accidents imply noones at fault ;)

Oh and my nav is silent...like the others have said a spin-up on startup but thats about it...occasionaly on a long road trip I'll hear it while driving loading the area I'm in. That's it.

And tony, not 'ALL' nav systems require the disc to be in :)...the new chrysler nav has a harddrive simialar to the new cts coming out that holds the info and only requires the cd for updates and such...also my magellan gps is all harddrive :p but all current GM cars that I know of require a disc inserted to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.