: My ultraview is broke

Snow Thrower
06-25-07, 10:48 PM
So I'm driving down the expressway today and all of a sudden my roof sounds like its open. I'm like wtf push the button to make sure it's closed. It is. I roll the sun shade back and push on the right front corner. I could push the whole front corner up. I guess a bolt fell out. Luckily I was driving right past a nice caddy dealer and stopped in. They have to take the whole roof off. I also have an issue with a rattle/noise in the front of the engine bay. I do have to say the dealer i went to so far is excellent. I show up and boom i have a rental and all my issues were going to looked at.

I'm hoping to have her back tomorrow or Weds.

Anyway, just thought i would share. This happen to anyone elses roof?

kodousek
06-25-07, 11:14 PM
I test drove an SRX today, and I didn't like the Ultraview's sunshade at all. It looked far to cheap for a $55,000 car. :(

GMJim
06-26-07, 06:48 AM
I had the front left bolt fall out 2 or 3 times in my old 04.

TSS
06-26-07, 07:41 AM
I test drove an SRX today, and I didn't like the Ultraview's sunshade at all. It looked far to cheap for a $55,000 car. :(

Agree, but it has to be able to roll up like a window shade - simply no other way due to space issues. I thought the same thing, but have no solution. However, I rarely have the shade closed, so no big deal. It (the glass) does not generate the type of heat or glare/light you would expect. They did a good job with that.

donjumpsuit
06-26-07, 09:49 AM
In the 2.5yrs I have owned my SRX, the sunshade has been closed probably a day in its whole life (sleeping person in back seat). In fact every three months i leave it closed for a night so it doesn't get wrinkled into oblivion.

As for the bolt, at the rate mine roof loosens and rattles, i would only expect a bolt to fall off, lucky they had a rental

Snow Thrower
06-26-07, 09:55 AM
Well i have a baby in the backseat so i need to have the sunshade closed. If she isn't in the car it's always open.

sgilbert
06-30-07, 07:39 PM
Well, THANKS fellow SRXers! Had no problems with the UltraView until today, but thanks to you, I apparently lost my right rear bolt. Now the damn roof won't open.

It's a Monday AM call to the dealer for me---and with the 4th coming Wed., who knows when I'll get my SRX back!

Just thankful I'm still under warranty for 7,000 more miles (or Feb.)

Do they really need to remove the whole roof just to replace an odd-ball bolt?

b4z
06-30-07, 08:48 PM
I have a non Ultraview '04 and test drove a '07 w/ Ultraview.
The roof started so far behind my eye point, even with the seat all the way back ,that I wonder if it is worth it.

Snow Thrower
06-30-07, 10:30 PM
Yeah they had to take the whole roof off to replace the bolt on mine. Don't feel so bad. I still don't have my car back. The rattling noise they heard in the engine bay is (they think) the timing chain. I'm guessing i won't see my car for at least another week. The rental CTS isn't to bad. I did have to take the first CTS back though becuase of bald tires and a horrible alignment. The new rental is nicer and i like the color better.

I hope i get my car back soon.

sgilbert
07-01-07, 07:58 AM
b4z, I can't imagine any bodily configuration that would put your "eye point" forward of the UltraView as you describe. My UltraView starts 3-4" rearward of the windshield.

Is it worth it--HELL YES! I use is all the time. Never would have gotten the SRX without it. It's the best feature of the SRX.

ckrichards
07-01-07, 11:59 AM
I can't see out of mine either. I would have to move my seat back 3-4" to get any kind of use out of it. It is probably because I like to sit very upright in my seat.
The kids enjoy the view though.

terryk
07-01-07, 01:19 PM
We were driving down the freeway around 70 and it suddenly sounded like the sunroof was open. I pushed up on the front left and right sides and the left side will lift up and open a gap. Off to the dealer.

Terry

mjk
07-02-07, 06:50 AM
I have a non Ultraview '04 and test drove a '07 w/ Ultraview.
The roof started so far behind my eye point, even with the seat all the way back ,that I wonder if it is worth it.

I know what you mean. You do have to be in the back seat to enjoy the view. I mean...Ultra view :)

Snow Thrower
07-05-07, 04:00 PM
Well got off the phone with the dealer about the rattle in the engine bay. They said it is for sure the timing chain. I guess they have 3 SRXs in there for the same problem. So of course the parts are on back order. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another week before i get it back.

john d
07-05-07, 08:18 PM
Well got off the phone with the dealer about the rattle in the engine bay. They said it is for sure the timing chain. I guess they have 3 SRXs in there for the same problem. So of course the parts are on back order. I wouldn't be surprised if it's another week before i get it back.

V6 or V8? How many miles?

Snow Thrower
07-06-07, 11:03 AM
V6 32,000ish

terryk
07-12-07, 10:29 PM
Well, we got the SRX back yesterday and today I hit the button to open the Ultraview :rant2:and it popped up a 1/4" and stopped. Squat. Zip. Nada.

And it rattles like crazy now. Back it goes. My attitude will be adjusted accordingly.

sgilbert
07-13-07, 10:19 AM
Mine's in the shop right now. I assure you--I'll check it out thoroughly before I leave the dealership this afternoon.

Snow Thrower
07-13-07, 11:20 AM
Dealer says i should get mine back on weds. About freaking time!

sgilbert
07-13-07, 07:26 PM
Damn IDIOT dealer!! Went to pick up SRX. They were to replace 1 bolt in Ultraview and check on getting 1 "Stabilitrak engaged" warning per day for 3 days.

First, I check roof...no auto open OR auto close..go back in and they say bring back next week. OK! Next, I go to leave and discover I now have NO power steering! Go back in--tech is now gone for day--They replaced "steering control module" and either got bad one or missed a wire. I have to leave car & get another rental (on Caddy)

Like I said: IDIOTS!! 0 for 2

terryk
07-13-07, 07:30 PM
I share your frustration. On the good side they did successfully fix the broken rear window nozzle......:bigroll:

Smokin' SRX
07-14-07, 11:24 AM
SGILBERT, we have same auto. How many miles on yours?? I have low miles (21K) and thankfully , in addition to brake pads and tires X 4 , have only have needed a good roof lube and minor oil leak repaired (front timing cover replaced!) And of course , the famous re-flash for drivetrain "clunk". But I didn't get the " de-tune" effect that so many others complain of! Just higher RPM's (downshifts ?) while braking, as if you were manually downshifting , every few seconds, to help slow the vehicle. it keeps pressure on the drivetrain, and so NO more clunks! Hope I make it to Feb w/ nothing else:)

sgilbert
07-14-07, 07:17 PM
41,300. Had the motor replaced on the UltraView once; new brakes & tires at about 32,000, and of course, water in jack compartment. All else has been great!

My warranty expires in 8700 miles or Feb. '08.

terryk
07-16-07, 02:49 PM
The dealer indicated they may have to replace the whole Ultraview assembly. Dang....

sgilbert
07-16-07, 03:48 PM
Update on mine:

Steering: Idiot tech forgot to connect a plug in steering module.

Roof Auto open/close: They're replacing the switch and bezel (the one I had to JB Weld back uo due to plastic stretching after I tapped into rear wiper for a radar detector). Wonder if they'll try to charge me for the bezel?

Funny how switch went out, at the dealership, when all they needed to do was replace a bolt 5' away from the switch!

Be done tomorrow.

Snow Thrower
07-16-07, 11:47 PM
i pick mine up tomorrow!! FINALLY!!!!!

mjk
07-17-07, 07:17 AM
my o4 v6 went in for the creaky roof again. I got it back and went on vacation and guess what - the damn thing still makes noise and on top of that it doesn't open at all now!!!:rant2: Don't they test things they fix before giving the car back:thehand:

So back to the dealer...this week.

MortnCyn
07-17-07, 10:49 AM
Will not open is better than will not close when on vacation. Our rule at home is close the roof when you enter the garage just to be sure it will in fact close. I have been known to carry a piece of rolled up visqueen and a roll of 3M duct tape in the spare tire area of vehicles with a sun\moon\ultra roof.

terryk
07-17-07, 11:26 AM
my o4 v6 went in for the creaky roof again. I got it back and went on vacation and guess what - the damn thing still makes noise and on top of that it doesn't open at all now!!!:rant2: Don't they test things they fix before giving the car back:thehand:

So back to the dealer...this week.

Don't feel bad. We went to pick ours up yesterday and for the third time in a row it wouldn't open. I tossed them the keys and left.

It periodically hangs up. Once they open it with a slight push it would continue to open for a bunch of cycles. Not sure what is going on but they still have it.

Snow Thrower
07-17-07, 12:24 PM
I jst got back from the dealer. I haven't opened mine yet because it has been raining, but maybe i should after hearing your stories.

Snow Thrower
07-17-07, 08:12 PM
Tried my roof out. It works awesome!! No binding or anything, thank God!

terryk
07-17-07, 09:21 PM
No doubt they will fix it. They are just getting fooled by it working for awhile. I think it hangs up when they let it sit.

The adviser said they would replace the whole thing if they have to. When it works it's amazing.

sgilbert
07-18-07, 04:32 PM
Well, mine's finally back and fixed (at least for now!)

They didn't even charge me for the JB Welded overhead bezel! (Wheew)

terryk
07-19-07, 11:07 PM
They got it fixed. They had to replace a rear weather seal. It looks like it pushed up on the back of glass and maybe acted like a spring.

Either way, it works and it's quiet!