: Tool Hunt

ShadowLvr400
04-08-04, 12:45 PM
The full time sert kit involves some special tools, which the kit I recieved didn't include. The shop here doesn't have the special drill bits, etc. Looking to buy, or even just borrow/rent the tools so they can do the work. GMParts wants 1k for the tools. The shop isn't up for that kind of parts purchase. They don't plan on doing this too much. BUT, the head shop is looking at doing some oversized valves and such for more power.

dloch
04-08-04, 01:15 PM
The full time sert kit involves some special tools, which the kit I recieved didn't include. The shop here doesn't have the special drill bits, etc. Looking to buy, or even just borrow/rent the tools so they can do the work. GMParts wants 1k for the tools. The shop isn't up for that kind of parts purchase. They don't plan on doing this too much. BUT, the head shop is looking at doing some oversized valves and such for more power.
Are you timeserting the complete engine?

BeelzeBob
04-08-04, 01:19 PM
What "tools" are missing and what kind of "kit" did you buy???

The Timesert kit for the Northstar head bolts has all the tools necessary. You did get a "Northstar head bolt timesert kit"....???...right?? If not you do not have the tools and you do not have the correct inserts and the joint will fail. Period. Get the application specific Northstar head bolt kit with the long inserts and you will have all the tools you need. Even from Time direct I think the kit is only $350 from what others have said so I don't know what is being quoted or referred to for a grand...????

Look up "timesert" for their website and check out the Northstar kit and prices. Or...it is available from KentMoore, too.

ShadowLvr400
04-08-04, 08:54 PM
It's all the parts, but there's some sort of special drill parts needed to do the block. As for the head bolts themselves, inspection has shown no metal shavings, so redrilling them doesn't seem to be as necessary... Dunno for sure.

growe3
04-08-04, 10:08 PM
It's all the parts, but there's some sort of special drill parts needed to do the block. As for the head bolts themselves, inspection has shown no metal shavings, so redrilling them doesn't seem to be as necessary... Dunno for sure.
????? If you removed the head bolts, they must be replaced. Even if the appear to be alright.

I just finished Timeserting another Northstar, and while only one head bolt pulled the threads when being removed, two more bolt holes had their threads pulled when I just started to apply pressure attaching the Timesert alignment block, with a 3/8 ratchet and applying less then 15 lbs.

I would bet money that you will strip a number (if not all) of them, when the heads are torqued down.

The Northstar head bolt kit (with 10 extra inserts) is about $325.

Check out Time Fastener Co., Inc for current information intead of listening to those who don't seem to understand the procedure.
www.timesert.com (http://www.timesert.com)

-George

zonie77
04-09-04, 01:43 AM
The timeserts go into the upper block surface...commonly called the deck.
The kit is to do the headbolt holes, in the block. What threads are you going to timesert besides the headbolt holes?
Growe is correct. Timesert all the headbolt holes even if they look good. There have been a few people before you got on the forums that didn't and had one or more strip while torqueing the heads. Play it safe and timesert them while it's apart. :tisk: (I liked this one!)