: Dealer Decals

Mitch3
04-08-04, 11:30 AM
Anyone know how to remove those ugly Dealer Decals that all dealers seem to want to put on your car ? I have a 1994 Eldorado with a real ugly, large decal on the trunk. It's not a thin decal but really thick pigment. I'm afraid using solvents or scraping it off will ruin the paint. Any suggestions ?

ThomasO
04-08-04, 11:34 AM
Use a hair dryer. Don't bake the paint, but move the dryer back and forth and keep trying to peel the decal. It should come with little effort.......Tom

hcvone
04-08-04, 01:14 PM
As said a hair dryer or heat gun (be careful) , then 3M Adhesive Remover and clay, you will never know the dealer sticker was there

STS
04-12-04, 11:41 PM
Acry-Solv

Msilva954
04-13-04, 09:46 AM
I dont know about you not knowing it was ever there though.......Id think that sun damage to the paint would allow that spot to look darker and the rest of the paint to look alittle lighter.

Rambo
04-13-04, 01:45 PM
I used a hair dryer on my Aurora. Got the decals off, but had a little change in color. I just washed it really really good and then waxed it very good. couldn't tell the difference afterwards.

-Kevin

JJhomer83
04-13-04, 01:52 PM
warm soapy water works on a hot day as well, i don't like applying a hairdryer to my paint i could screw it up b/c i am a clutz

Brett
04-13-04, 02:36 PM
Arent those about the most annoying things....i almost had a deal fall through in 99 when i bought my corvette, it was brand new, off the truck, and i told the guy i did not want the sticker and id be happy to use a license plate frame of theirs so they still get their advertisement. vette pulls up, sticker on. salesmen said it was policy. I tell him i dont want the car, an hour later the sales manager has to ok taking the sticker off, unreal, on both our parts probably :)

hcvone
04-13-04, 02:45 PM
I dont know about you not knowing it was ever there though.......Id think that sun damage to the paint would allow that spot to look darker and the rest of the paint to look alittle lighter.

Usually if it's on the car less than 2 years you will not have a problem.

Sandy
04-13-04, 02:55 PM
Okay. Having been in the car business for 27 years, I will tell you the REAL reason dealers put it on. Then you'll better understand.

There is a certain breed of buyer out there. This buyer shops for only one thing when he/she buys a car. The absolute dirt lowest price. He/she does not take into consideration convenience in after-the-sale-service. This person will buy wherever the price is cheapest. Now, mind you I would too, if the price difference was substantial. BUT, I am talking about a difference of say $47.33 cents, on a $26,000 car (average price paid today, for a NEW car). Now that said, he/she buys this car in (made up name) Franklin, New York, which is 3 miles away from (made up name) Georgetown, New York, where he/she also visited the same brand dealer. Dealer in Franklin was $47.33 cheaper & our buyer bought it there. However.....our buyer actually LIVES IN Georgetown. Now, it's more convenient for our customer to come to Georgetown for service. So, here you are with your Georgetown dealer-bought car wanting to come in for service because it's raining & your wipers are not working, BUT BUT BUT we have no more room for add'l. service work today....because we are jammed with Franklin - dealer cars in for service work! We turn YOU away, but have taken in our non-buyer Franklin Township car! See, you'd rightfully be angry. You are OUR customer, you bought from us, and here in the shop is a Franklin dealer car getting warrantee service work.
Therefore, because folks Lie (Oh you didn't know they do....they do) if you ask them in Service where they bought it, they'll tell you THERE..they bought it there, so you'll take them. They lie. So, with a sticker on the back, the service manager or writer only has to walk around the back to eyeball where it came from. If it's a slow day & he needs work, he'll take the car in. BUT, if it's hoppin' mad busy & you did buy it there, he'lll squeeeze you in, but if it's from a nearby competitor he'll give you an appointment a loooong way in the future, to politely get rid of you. By franchise laws, he cannot turn you down, but he can give you an appt. a month in advance, knowing you'll go back to your REAL selling dealer for warrantee work.

That is the real reason for the sticker. So, if you plan on going to a dealer who is a competitior of the dealer where you bought it, you are better off with the sticker OFF. If you plan on going to YOUR selling dealer, then you are better off leaving it on. It can't hurt, and it will help in the serv. dept.

Also, when you are out of warrantee, oft times a person will come in with a little problem, it will not take much or much time to fix it. Frequently he'll see that it's "their car" ~ meaning that they sold it....and he'll say no charge for that, as a good will good business sence measure. Never happen with a competitor's car.....they'll go right back to that OTHER dealer next time, remebering that they were "cheaper" ~ ~
Money talks bullcrap walks.

JJhomer83
04-13-04, 03:36 PM
makes sense Sandy
My old man is the guy that stays loyal to a car dealership but he WON"T leave that sticker on there but he will put the plate frame on there. The dealer that he deals with gives him a "credit card" that can be scanned and shows the purchases and service records done at the dealership. NOW that is a GREAT idea for dealers.

ThomasO
04-13-04, 05:41 PM
Looks like the dealer would have a more substantial record of at least the cars he sells, a VIN number for instance. If I buy an old beater for work I might not care what's on the trunk, but if I buy a luxury car, like any Cadillac I would buy, I'm not having "Joe Blow's Autorama" pasted on my car and then go out and buy a hundred dollars worth of detail merchandize to keep my car looking sharp. I'm sure there's got to be a better way for a dealership to confirm where the car was bought and surly if the car was bought at Joe Blow's Autorama.......Tom

Msilva954
04-13-04, 06:06 PM
When we bought are Thunderbird and mustang in 97' there was a humungus allagator sticker on the car,,took about 30min to get off each car, and it was lime green.

When we won are BMW it had a license plate frame on it and the dealer said we'll throw in a chrome BMW plate frame and they took their dealer one right off.

The caddy on the other hand has a gold plated dealer sign that says: "Special Gold Edition By University Cadillac" thats not bad and I think it looks really good.

Sandy
04-13-04, 07:07 PM
We knew that people did not want ugly ones, so we designed one that was SO popular, we actually had customers ASK us to put it on!! It was just 2 inches across & 2 inches up & down and was a decal of the American Flag. In ONE of the white stars was a tiny "M" actually the same size as that "M" here, and in another white star was a "D". That stood for Maplewood Dodge. No advertising at all, just an American Flag. Now, who's gonna take that off?
Some of them here in NJ are really beautiful! You should see them. Yes, others are awful!!! Even I would take it off if it was ugly. My Caddy has a license plate frame with the dealer's name. My lincoln has a decal. But it's nice. It's done in calligrophy (that fancy wedding invite style) and it's small.

The one here that just irritates the __ out of me, is like 2" high and 4" looong and say's
"ANOTHER COMPLETELY
SATISFIED CUSTOMER
FROM CALDWELL TOYOTA"
I could puke over that one. Oh 'ya, it's bright red and they have it in only ONE color....RED RED RED :rant2:

JJhomer83
04-13-04, 11:26 PM
The one here that just irritates the __ out of me, is like 2" high and 4" looong and say's
"ANOTHER COMPLETELY
SATISFIED CUSTOMER
FROM CALDWELL TOYOTA"
I could puke over that one. Oh 'ya, it's bright red and they have it in only ONE color....RED RED RED :rant2:
:yeah: :histeric: :histeric:

Mitch3
04-14-04, 02:23 PM
Hey members ------- Thanks for all the great replies. I did manage to get the decal off and I think the car looks a lot better without it. Now let me tell you why I really wanted it off (other than looks). That particular dealer has one of those really loud, repulsive TV commercials. Every time I hear the guy yell out HUUUGE SALE HUUUGE SAVINGS I feel like throwing my shoe through the TV. Worse yet when I see the guys name on the back of my car I feel like giving it a good kick, but I restrain myself. I'm from Albany NY and it's HUUUUUGE. Anyone seen that commercial.

JJhomer83
04-14-04, 02:27 PM
Hey members ------- Thanks for all the great replies. I did manage to get the decal off and I think the car looks a lot better without it. Now let me tell you why I really wanted it off (other than looks). That particular dealer has one of those really loud, repulsive TV commercials. Every time I hear the guy yell out HUUUGE SALE HUUUGE SAVINGS I feel like throwing my shoe through the TV. Worse yet when I see the guys name on the back of my car I feel like giving it a good kick, but I restrain myself. I'm from Albany NY and it's HUUUUUGE. Anyone seen that commercial.

haven't seen the commercial but i am one of those people that won't buy a product b/c there advertising annoys me too much like old navy, i refuse to shop there b/c of the commercials

Robert Brandtjen
04-23-04, 10:19 PM
When I buy a new car the first thing I do is have the dealer remove the decal- as part of the deal. If the dealer can't rember (i.e. computer lookup) who they sold a car to, then I bought from the wrong dealer.

Use 3M brand adhesive to remove the decal. If your paint is gettting on in years or if your new car has swirls in the paint (clear coat usually) then I strongly recommend 3M Imperial microglaze finnisher. You will need a high quality buffing pad and either air powered buffer or a good electric drill/buffer. It will make the surface look like glass- something it used to require blue coral and a week of sore fingers to do when I was a kid. It removes small scuffs in the clear coat (dog claw marks one time) and will gloss over rock chips. When it rains, the water beads up and floats off - like magic.

After that, use a high quality wax (paste) and watch people ohh and awe- especially at night. During the day they just wince at the glare from the shine. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

ThomasO
04-24-04, 12:06 AM
So Mitch, after all the replies, how did you get the decal off?? Little help please for the next guy that wants to know how to do it. Your conclusion would be a help...........Tom

Mitch3
04-24-04, 10:58 AM
No hair dryer. My Eldo is 10 years old so didn't want to risk the heat. Just used the 3M adhesive remover and a little pressure. Worked like a charm. There is a little ghost but remember the decal has been on there for about ten years. Now I want to try that 3m Imperial Microglaze finisher. If it's as good as Robert Brandtjen says it is I will owe him one. My baby needs a rejuvination. By the way, where did you find that stuff? I bought the adhesive remover at Home Depot but they didn't have the Microglaze. Thanks everyone for your advice. Really enjoy this forum.

Sandy
04-24-04, 02:17 PM
When I buy a new car the first thing I do is have the dealer remove the decal- as part of the deal. If the dealer can't rember (i.e. computer lookup) who they sold a car to, then I bought from the wrong dealer.
++++++++++

The dealer is usually home just getting up at 7:30AM when the service department opens. The service manager and service writer are swompted at that hour by people afraid to be late for work and everyone is in a super duper hurry. It's often a mad house. There is no way the service manager &/or writer(s) have the ability to know each & ever customer the front (showroom) sells, nor do they have the time, to look everyone up in the computer systemwith all that's going on.
They tend to remember the people who are exceptionally nice, the people who are exceptionally nasty, the good looking women and the people who occassionally offer a tip. Group them all together, and you have about 12%. The other 88% sorta kinda get blurrred in the hectic morning rush. By the time that the dealer arrives (usually like 10AM,) the zoo is all over and things are running smoothly.

Robert Brandtjen
04-25-04, 07:06 PM
I disagree with you- all cars are kept in the database- they know who bought it and when- as well as everything done to it. I just picked up a computer print out on one of mine last week.

I also know, personally, the owner of two dealerships- Buick and Lincoln. He told me years ago they make most of their money off the care of the vehicles- especially non-warranty work. Dealers of American cars have had to discount them against Japanese and Euro imports since the 80's ruined their credibility- Buick dealers, for the most part, sell to the same aging customers- it is very difficult for them to gain new, younger customers. Cadillac only sells 100,000 Devilles per year in the US. That isn't very many.

Dealer decales are butt ugly- most of the time and detract from a beautiful car's look. If they insist on them, then they should be small and tasteful- a license plate frame, the way the German dealers do around here, would be best.

Too many dealers of American cars are stuck in the mindset of the 70's and 80's, they just do not get it. It woud behoove all of them to spend a month at a German dealership- it would do wonders for their customer service.

Robert Brandtjen
04-25-04, 07:11 PM
Now I want to try that 3m Imperial Microglaze finisher. If it's as good as Robert Brandtjen says it is I will owe him one. My baby needs a rejuvination. By the way, where did you find that stuff? I bought the adhesive remover at Home Depot but they didn't have the Microglaze.

You will find it at sellers of autobody paints. Look in your local phone book under Automotive/paint. On new cars I wait one year to use it, on older ones, as soon as I get it. http://cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Sandy
04-25-04, 08:32 PM
I am not defending the dealer decals, I was just explaining why the service manager likes them on there. I agree with you about the computer data, but when it's 7:30 AM, there are two people (a Service Manager & a Service Writer), and the line of early drop offs goes out the door, with like 16-20 people needing to be written up, it's like impossible to go checking computer data on them. They are all caffined-up, probably a little late, peeved that their car is acting up, needing a loaner, or wanting a shuttle ride to hoshkosh and believe me, I worked back there for a few months, there is no time to fiddle with computers, as they practicly throw their keys to you. We never BTW, had a customer take off our decal, some told us to make sure we put it on. As said before, it was 3" long and 2" high, was the American flag, Period. Nothing more. One of the white stars had a "M" in it and another of the white stars had a "D" in it. It stood for Maplewood Dodge. It certainly was not advertising, nobody knew (or ever spotted) the M or the D. They actually were the size of this type.
Regarding German. My neighbor 4 homes away purchased a 2003 BMW 745i and has had the thing back countless times. They can't get it to run right. He's mad as heck. They finally got it straightened ouit (took 8 months) and now it's leaking oil all over his fancy white drivway. He fianlly had it and sold it back to the BMW dealer and bought a 2004 ( 4 months old) Lincoln Town Car Ultimate. He said he'd never again buy a German car.
So, everyone has a different opinion based upon their personal experiences.
(and) I do agree that many (far too many) dealer stickers are VERY ugly. Very few are attractive.

Robert Brandtjen
04-25-04, 10:38 PM
Regarding German. My neighbor 4 homes away purchased a 2003 BMW 745i and has had the thing back countless times. They can't get it to run right. He's mad as heck. They finally got it straightened ouit (took 8 months) and now it's leaking oil all over his fancy white drivway. He fianlly had it and sold it back to the BMW dealer and bought a 2004 ( 4 months old) Lincoln Town Car Ultimate. He said he'd never again buy a German car.

Well, Cadillac has a higher rating now then BMW, Mercedes, Lexus in the dependability arena, according to the WSJ. GM got through it's nightmares with electronics in the 1980's.

But here is where they could still learn:

People bought, buy those cars because they seldom see/saw used ones that weren't in good condition for their age. There is no reason for Cadillac not to be able to have the same affect-but the attitude needs to change.

When I bought a Porsche in 1987 there were 3 things that impressed the hell out of me with the dealer.
1) It mattered not whether I was a doctor or a plumber- a customer is a customer is the king.
2) It mattered not whether I bought a new one or a used one- the customer is the customer is king.
3) all work done on a Porsche (a now BMW, Mercedes, etc.) is signed in the owner's service manual by the certified Porsche Mechanic- whether he works for a dealer or not- the warranty is not affected, as long as the work is done by a Porsche Certified Mechanic.

Once the mechanic get's certified, he gets a pretty little rubber stamp with his certification number on it- when stamped into the book, it leaves a place for the mechanic to sign inside it.
He writes down what he did, stamps and signs the entry into the book- waaaaay cool and waaaay impressive. ALL work done on Porsches is entered into the owner's service manual in this way- even a simple tire rotation, or in my case, a tire "truing"- which is where they shave the rubber and make the tire perfectly round - and make them stick better if brand new. You have to have then trued when you flat spot them as well- which I did alot. Porsche voids the warranty if this not done, it is my understanding that BMW and Merc do now as well.

This maintains the car- forever and delivers an unbelievably cool cache as well. it also lets the next buyer know who owned it before him and how well it was maintained. Thus it behooves the owner to care for the vehicle properly because it maintains a higher resale value.

The Germans believe that someone who buys a used vehicle will, if she/he likes the car, will most likely someday become a new car buyer- but even if they never do, a happy satisfied owner of a used one is still the best advertisment money can buy. Not a decale.