: Great, my friends are junkies.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-24-07, 10:38 PM
Maybe some of you fellow forumers have heard of this new drug that's a craze among teens, mostly male ones. It's called World of Warcraft, commonly referred to as WOW. It's expensive, it's addictive, it's alienating, and most of all.....it's nerdly.

Remember me mentioning my group of friends that I've been hanging out with since I was like 16? Well the ones that stayed in Eagan thru college are now committed WOWers, it's depressing. I'm depressed over this situation, I mean for chrissake I'm listening to REM's "Everybody Hurts" on iTunes and it's on repeat and this is the 11th time it's played!

I mean, take for example, last night. They call me up and tell me they wanna go out an get something to eat, so I go over there, and we sit around and talk about what we could do...go out get something to eat, go to the giant car show, or maybe go to the mall because we've got things we need to do....nope. They whip out their ****ing laptops and start playing WOW. At that point I left and grabbed some Wendy's and went to the car show...with normal, god fearing, WoWless, car loving, blue collared, red necked americans. MY type of people. Then what were they doing tonight?? The same DAMN thing! Ugh this is shitty, my friends are nerds! Now I've never been a big gamer, but I'll play Halo and Vigilante V8 from time to time with them, because we all do it and it's something to do. But this constant gaming thing is shit. We're 20, we should be out socializing with others, meeting girls, partying it up, getting shitfaced, etc etc, but nope, they wanna hang out in a basement and play "21st century Dungeons and Dragons" on their computers.

F that.

Rant over.

illumina
06-24-07, 10:46 PM
Nothing is worse than an addicted gamer. My best friend has been taken by this disease with the likes of Battlefield 2 and Ultima Online...And he's 27!!!

Adam
06-24-07, 10:53 PM
Ummm... you misspelled redneck...

pabstcadillac
06-24-07, 11:16 PM
They whip out their ****ing laptops and start playing WOW.

This secret code has me confused. :alchi:

Did you plan on going to Back To The 50's? A couple of my friends from AZ have cars up there for that. They're originally from Wilmar & Padua (If you know where that is. Great bar there called Padua Pub. :alchi:)

I used to live up the road from Porky's so every weekend was a car show for me. :alchi:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-24-07, 11:21 PM
This secret code has me confused. :alchi:

The code is World Of Warcraft...massive online role playing game. Basically just like Dungeons N' Dragons, just computerized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_warcraft

gdwriter
06-24-07, 11:41 PM
F that.Agreed.

Never had any interest in video games, partially since I sucked at them.

It really stinks when your friends get sucked into some alien world line WOW. But then, I've allowed myself to get sucked into the world of CF.

But we're a lot cooler. And we appreciate cool cars.

pabstcadillac
06-24-07, 11:46 PM
The code is World Of Warcraft...massive online role playing game. Basically just like Dungeons N' Dragons, just computerized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_warcraft

I watch South Park I know what WOW is. I was talking about the asterisks followed by "ing". Could I buy a vowel please? :alchi:

Krashed989
06-25-07, 04:23 AM
I have to admit I HAD a WoW account. But then I got a life and a girlfriend and let the damned thing expire. It's really retarded and it removes you from life itself. I'm happy to have quit that game... And I am currently working on a patch to help others quit! This patch will be downloadable and will simply blow up their computer thus freeing them and enabling them to have a life! :thumbsup:

:alchi:

ewill3rd
06-25-07, 05:34 AM
I used to play a game called "battlezone".
I was addicted in the same way only it was after I got married.
I got a few other guys hooked on it and all of us go so wrapped up in it that it was really sad. I almost blew off my wedding anniversary for a tournament!
One of my coworkers in CA ended up getting a divorce!
Then battlezone 2 came out and it got even worse for some, better for me because my computer was too slow and I didn't have the money to upgrade it.
I was one of the officers in a gaming clan for quite a while in fact.

My point is, don't be too harsh on your friends. They are just going through a phase. Try to be an example of how much fun reality can be and try to invite them to do things in the real world with you.

They will recover someday. It is kind of sad that young people are so addicted to gaming.
I wonder in a couple more decades what the outcome will be of all this?

CIWS
06-25-07, 07:23 AM
It was a problem with Ultima Online,and Everquest (Evercrack) too, WoW is just the newer "world". For whatever reason I don't get into MMORPGs really. I still play some BF2 (which isn't a mmorpg), but maybe an hour or two on the weekends is all I can set aside. I have a couple of friends in their 40s and 50s playing WoW. When I catch them online and ask what's up it's always "playing WoW".

Ben Stein's son Tommy was addicted to Everquest, to the point he had to perform a sort of "intervention" to save him by sending him off to a boarding school that had no internet connections.

"Tommy is in his room sitting at his fancy computer...playing his goddamned Everquest, the worst thing that ever happened to him, a literal curse, a drug that eats away at every drop of energy and initiative. It's a sort of online 'Dungeons and Dragons,' and he loves it beyond description. He can stay on forever...He is simply a demon at it. And we are the demon facilitators because we are so happy he's not using marijuana, we keep letting him play his evil Everquest."

Rolex
06-25-07, 07:39 AM
Once in awhile its good to detach. Get away from the computer, telephones, pagers, and cellphones and just go fishing...or shooting....or golfing...or whatever blows your dress up. People don't talk to other people anymore, unless by email or text messages. YMMV

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-25-07, 09:43 AM
My point is, don't be too harsh on your friends. They are just going through a phase. Try to be an example of how much fun reality can be and try to invite them to do things in the real world with you.

They will recover someday. It is kind of sad that young people are so addicted to gaming.
I wonder in a couple more decades what the outcome will be of all this?

Thanks, I know it's just a phase, but I dunno how long it'll last. My brother has been playing WoW for the last two and a half years (started x-mas of '04) and it's all he ever does, well that and work. But yeah, a steady 12 hours a day of WoW on the days he doesn't work now that school's out, and when school was in session, it was all he ever did after he got home. WoW from 2:45 until 11. And thank god I've still got friends that are not "users"...I can go hang out with them until the others regain their sense and start getting out of their basements and back into the real world.

Night Wolf
06-25-07, 10:03 AM
I can relate... all thru high school, tech school, and still not grown out of it... I've been stuck in the fantasy world under the hood of my car... man, some days you can just loose all sense of time under there.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-25-07, 10:08 AM
Well yeah, but that's different. Those skills are useful in the real world, WoW isn't.

danbuc
06-25-07, 12:09 PM
I've got some friends like that....they're not that bad, but just as annoying. I went over to my buddies house and met up with another friend there. We were thinking about going into the city to have a few beers, and maybe catch some music at the Red Lion. You know, adult sort of s**t. Anyway, my friend tells me he just got Diddy Kong for his Wii. I thought, woopdi f**kin' doo...that game is older than dirt. So naturally, my other friend said, "Hey, I remember that game!". So they broke out the TWO controllers he had for it, and started playing away. After an hour went by with me facing the other direction surfin the net for nothing, I told them I was starving and was going to get something to eat. So I left, got some pizza, and went home. They never even called me to see if I was coming back. I guess they were so engrossed in playing SNES games.

I'm not a big gamer at all. I had NES and Sega when I was a kid, but I rarely EVER played them. I'll play the occasional computer game ever once in a while, but it's usually cause we've set a lan game up in my buddies basement, so we're at least all doing the same thing.

I just hate feeling like the fifth wheel or whatever, just because I'm more mature and have grown out of childish things like playing video games on a Saturday night. I live 20 minutes from NYC for cryin' out loud. You'd think there would be more interesting things to do around here than play games and crap.

Jesda
06-25-07, 02:24 PM
I discovered Wii.

gdwriter
06-25-07, 03:21 PM
I discovered Wii.Did you invent the Internet, too?

Oh, wait. That was Al Gore.

Playdrv4me
06-25-07, 03:45 PM
Beware of the poopsock when you go to their houses... that's all I can say about that.

Jonas McFeely
06-25-07, 05:43 PM
Beware of the poopsock when you go to their houses... that's all I can say about that.

That and half empty water/gatorade bottles.

Oh wait i mean half full.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-25-07, 05:48 PM
I discovered Wii.

I did too, about six years ago.

Jonas McFeely
06-25-07, 05:54 PM
When i first saw the title of the thread i actually thought you found out all of your friends were doing smack,and Alice In Chains started playing in my head.

Alot of my friends play Guitar Hero for PS2, as most of my friends play music of some sort. I hate that game.

I used to be addicted to Gran Turismo 2 and 3, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 and 2 , and GTA San Andreas. Also spent many a day fukcing shit up on Mario World and Mario All-Stars on SNES. Top Gear got alot of play too.

I now dont own any video games/systems and i am now addicted to Beer Pong and Cadillac Forums.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-25-07, 06:23 PM
As usual Jonas, a great post on your behalf. I almost wish my friends were doing smack, atleat that's a "normal" activity, and girls are probably a lot more open to addicts than WoW players. And yes, as I was typing this, I was listening to Alice In Chains' "Junkhead", a great song about junkies, stoners and freaks. My friends, all of the ones that I hung out with a lot thru high school loved to play Guitar Hero too, we used to do that a lot last summer, I didn't mind that because it's a group activity....WoW isn't. And I too was addicted to GTA III, San Andreas and GT3 and GT4. Now I've lost all of my desire to play computer/video games. I bought Age Of Empires II, reinstalled Sim City 3k last winter, and bought "Black" for PS2... for something to do on those winter nights, but none got really much playtime because I was always on here.

Jonas McFeely
06-25-07, 08:30 PM
Tru, thanks for the compliment.

RightTurn
06-26-07, 01:03 AM
I'm a CF junkie. Ack.

93DevilleUSMC
06-26-07, 02:05 AM
I~Luv~Caddies, you should show the following video to your friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmgLOKRl5J0

77CDV
06-26-07, 02:08 AM
The last video game I can remember being hooked on was Asteroid. Pac Man wasn't bad, either. Then I discovered cars and I said, who needs video games?

ewill3rd
06-26-07, 05:52 AM
I work on cars all day every day and sometimes on Saturday.
I need video games!
In fact, don't tell James, but I have some at work (like he doesn't know... yeah sure)
Sometimes when I need to chill out, or at lunch time I fire up Battlefield 1942 and blow some stuff up.

I'd love to keep playing them but with all the stuff I deal with now I just don't have time.
When I was younger I didn't have the money for a console or games and when I was gaming I dropped so much cash into my computer trying to keep up with the latest my wife almost killed me.

Jonas McFeely
06-26-07, 08:31 PM
Vidya games.

As Hank Hill would say.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-26-07, 10:50 PM
Well, this was an interesting night with my buds. Not the usual WoW filled type either...

So I call them up when I'm at work, and tell them of this fantastic "mom n' pop" homestyle restaurant about 20 minutes south of the city we live in. We all hop in my car after work and cruise down there, we get there 30 mintues before they close, and we're debating whether or not to go in. Anyways, we walk in and this super cute waitress greets us and I ask her if it's too late..she says it's ok and seats us. We're treated nicely and the food was excellent and on our way out, the waitress starts asking me (well everyone really, but they tell me it was directed at me) what we were up to tonight and starts making small talk, like she's kinda interested. She mentions that she's going to a club...we're too shy (or dumb perhaps?) to ask her if she'd wanna mee there, so we pay our bills and leave and my friends are giving me shit for not getting her number, so I get sick of it, turn around (about 5 miles after we've left) cruise back up, tell her I left my cell phone somewhere in the diner (it was purposely left in the car) and we're looking around for it, she calls it from her cell phone to see if we could hear the ringtone. Meanwhile my friends accidentally locked themselves in my car, one of them gets out, triggers the alarm so that kinda sets the plan amuck and so finally I ask if she'd wanna meet up at the club. She said maybe and then later I texted her, telling her i found my phone and then asked if she'd wanna meet up at the club...she said she would and we agree upon a time and everything, and we all leave to get ready, but then when I get home and halfway thru my shower, she texted me back saying she wasn't gonna go because she just found out her b/f was cheating on her.

WTF.

ewill3rd
06-27-07, 05:48 AM
Now that is funny!

Sorry for your misfortune.. one of the joys of getting older.
Sounds like she needs to "get even" to me.
;)
Or even better, just dump that loser!

77CDV
06-27-07, 01:09 PM
So, she has/had a bf, but she was willing to meet up with you at a club anyway, then canceled because her bf broke up with her?!? DRAMA QUEEN!!!!!!!!!! Run, Simba, run far away and don't look back.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-07, 02:11 PM
Oh there's more..

After I got that text last night saying she wasn't gonna go b/c her bf was cheating on her, I got a text from her saying something like "im so sorry guys, i guess it was all a big joke, but now i don't even feel like going anywhere, i feel so bad now sorry!" Then I text back saying "maybe some other time" then she said "yeah, just text me whenever"

I'm not holding my breath on this.

93DevilleUSMC
06-27-07, 03:10 PM
She's not worth the time anyway, man. If someone is going to play that many games, why bother to begin with?

Jonas McFeely
06-27-07, 06:23 PM
Oh there's more..

After I got that text last night saying she wasn't gonna go b/c her bf was cheating on her, I got a text from her saying something like "im so sorry guys, i guess it was all a big joke, but now i don't even feel like going anywhere, i feel so bad now sorry!" Then I text back saying "maybe some other time" then she said "yeah, just text me whenever"

I'm not holding my breath on this.

I would stay as far away as you possibly can.Delete her number post-haste immediatly, if not sooner. Girls like that are bad news. You need a girl the likes cars (which are harder to find than a Sage Green coupe).

Come down here to Orlando sometime. You seem like a cool guy. Im sure youd fit right in, though talking about cars with my friends is hopeless. Could hook you up with a fine lady im sure. Not a top-notch thouroughbred dime-piece, but definately not a skank.

gdwriter
06-27-07, 06:34 PM
You need a girl that likes cars (which are harder to find than a Sage Green coupe).Not always. My current girlfriend loves cars, especially classics like Betty. The gf before that liked them, too. And my ex-wife had her good qualities; besides liking cars, she was capable of working on them. She was a way better mechanic than me.

But, Chad, I'm with the other guys here. She sounds like a user to me. Not worth the trouble.

Considering the quality of girls you guys are finding, no wonder your buddies got sucked into WOW.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-27-07, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the advice! I'm not gonna hold my breath on anything here, but it's just nice to get a girl's number again, I've been in sort of a dry spell for a bit but it's nice to get in the "game" again, especially seeing as how my buddies were in on it too.

ewill3rd
06-28-07, 07:30 AM
Aren't you glad someone didn't tell your dad "stay away from that girl, if she has that much baggage...."?
I guess all you guys married perfect women and are absolutely content.

My Wife makes me crazy... in fact most of the time.
I still love her and I am still glad I married her and we have a wonderful son who I just couldn't live without.

gdwriter
06-28-07, 11:47 AM
Aren't you glad someone didn't tell your dad "stay away from that girl, if she has that much baggage...."?
I guess all you guys married perfect women and are absolutely content.

My Wife makes me crazy... in fact most of the time.
I still love her and I am still glad I married her and we have a wonderful son who I just couldn't live without.Oh, I'm not looking for perfection. I know I'm no picnic. And I have a nice set of baggage of my own.

I think the point we're making is avoid women who play guys off each other and other games like that. I'm a very direct, very straightforward person, and I simply have no interest in women who play games. Fortunately, my girlfriend is equally straightforward. We enjoy each other's company tremendously, and we're honest with each other. No drama, but much more satisfying.

Night Wolf
06-28-07, 07:38 PM
Aimee likes cars... she really liked my Coupe, and she really likes the Town Car... I got her hooked on the large American cars. I tried to get her to work on the car with me, but she wasn't too interested at the time, though she seemed open about it.... she still wants to go to the junkyard with me.... just likes spending as much time with each other as we could.

Neither of us have any baggage at all either.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-28-07, 10:56 PM
I don't have baggage, I have suitcases. :p

77CDV
06-28-07, 11:06 PM
I don't have baggage, I have suitcases. :p
Do tell! You must unpack for us sometime.:bouncy:

I~LUV~Caddys8792
06-28-07, 11:19 PM
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but women probably think I'm nuts when they see my brochure collection. Doesn't matter though, I'm not getting rid of them.

DopeStar 156
06-29-07, 01:06 AM
What's wrong with videogames?! Ms. DS is a full blown Final Fantasy XII addict, she's shooting for 100% completion. I'm such a nerd I bought a $35 intercooler for my PS3. Among my friends, nerds are cool.

As for WOW, it gets old fast. I was done with that shit a year ago. I'm surprised it's still addicting, that game is mad old.....

Jonas McFeely
06-29-07, 07:47 AM
Me and a buddy got 98% (the highest you can get) on Mario World for SNES. Good times...

Night Wolf
06-29-07, 01:16 PM
why not 100%?

Super Mario for SNES was awesome.

Jonas McFeely
06-30-07, 12:35 PM
Game flaw. I looked it up, you can only get 98%.

JRau
06-30-07, 09:33 PM
Well, I don't think there's anything wrong with it, but women probably think I'm nuts when they see my brochure collection. Doesn't matter though, I'm not getting rid of them.

Ha! You and I with our brochure collections!! You bet, don't ever give 'em up, Chad!

Haulin' 'em up to Downers Grove--I had 17 boxes of car brochures, all American makes of cars and trucks dating back to 1975. Should've taken a picture of the freakin' rental car. Too funny!:)

JRau

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 12:02 PM
John, did you see the picture of the brochures I bought last weekend? $165 very well spent!

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/Chadillac8705/2007%20Back%20To%20The%20Fifties/IMG_0945.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
07-01-07, 12:06 PM
Starcraft was always better than crappy Warcraft....

slk230mb
07-01-07, 08:42 PM
Chad you need an indexing system for all of them. Like a dewey decimal system for car brochures.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-01-07, 10:10 PM
Chad you need an indexing system for all of them. Like a dewey decimal system for car brochures.

Haha I kinda do. They're all in order of manufacturer, and then indexed by year, lowest to highest.