: Anyone tired of the custom imports?

gspencer914
05-02-03, 08:53 PM
I'm telling you every day I see more and more civics with pissed of bumble bee mufflers and a few nitto racing stickers on them. This upsets me. If your gonna go and buy a car for preformace then go and buy a Vette, by the time you get these cars to run decent you've paid for a new Z06 vette. Anyone else tired of the import deal. There are some imports that I respect NSX, 3000GT VR4, just to name a few these cars are worthy of the SPORTS car image, but if your a highschool student and mommy and daddy just bought you a civic and you put a sticker and a pissed of bumble bee muffler on in and think your the fast and furious, PLEASE STOP.

HotRodSaint
05-02-03, 10:14 PM
If your a true auto enthusiast, then you would appreciate the late Hirohito Honda and what he accomplished and his commitment to engineering.

How many times has GM, Ford or Chrysler won a F1 title? If you can beat Ferrari and Mercedes in the worlds top motorsport forum, then you deserve props in my book.

elwesso
05-02-03, 10:21 PM
They do get annoying, BUT they are fun to race and beat, although some can be really fast.

kempie
05-02-03, 10:30 PM
I dont have any issues with people fixing up their cars. They too think they are enthuseists although our tastes are sure different. At age 16 I couldnt wait to get a glass pack on the old 55 chevy 6 cyl. I know it made it go faster.
Live & let live and only worry about something you have control over.

Devil_concours
05-03-03, 12:22 AM
i appreciate the true enthisuast that make these cars actually go fast without making it look hideous. I hate seeing high school kids with carbon fiber hood and racing seats to reduce weight and then add 3 tier picnic table spoiler, so called body kit all around it with 20" wheels to cancel the effects of weight loss and add more weight to the car :rolleyes:

kcnewell
05-03-03, 12:27 AM
I like them! I think their funny......In a pathetic cheesey kind of way!

elwesso
05-03-03, 12:39 AM
I agree, a true car person will make his car go faster, not make it look like it will go faster.

MY cousin is a typical ricer. He bought a civic with 175k for 2000, swapped engine and tranny, added 18s, a wing, front end thingy, carbon fiber look alike rearview mirrors, stupid looking seat [probably just covers], and a tach. This thing didnt even come with power steering!! Sad, because with all that money he could have got some decent rice (Q45) or a cadillac. But I guess he is too "cool" to have a cadillac.

HotRodSaint
05-03-03, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by kcnewell
I like them! I think their funny......In a pathetic cheesey kind of way!

Thats how I feel about the red necks 'Pep Boys' equiped fade painted pick-up trucks. I can never guess if there's a Texas Cowboy or Mexican Norteno driving one.

Gold striped Vogue Tyres and 'simulated convertable tops' on Cadillacs aren't my thing either.

The simple fact is there are people with poor taste. We can't prevent people from poor taste buying Cadillac's anymore than we can prevent them from buying Honda's.

But I certainly wouldn't want to be lumped in with those balding gold chain wearing Cadillac owners in an import boards 'Caddie rant'.

We can only make our own car's right in our own eyes. But someone will come along and criticize it for being too heavy, slow, or ill handling. Certainly there are many, many better car's than a Cadillac if speed and handling for 5 passengers is the only goal.

So I'm with Kempie on this, "Live & let live and only worry about something you have control over."

Caddie vs Ricer is getting old here.

gspencer914
05-03-03, 12:07 PM
So really what your saying hotrod is that if you put a KN air filter on your car with a muffler and said this is the badest car on the planet then everything would be ok. The fact is that if you want to customize a car then buy an old Chevy camaro with a 350 and have enough money left over to make it run in the 12s not get a civic put a muffler and think you can race anyone around town. As far as things you canít control, if people who are enthusiasts continue to condone this type of action and say itís acceptable for you to do without putting time and effort into customizing the car then things will never change. If you are a true sports car fan then you will appreciate the sole drivers that do it right the first time no matter what car they drive. If you own a civic and put lots and lots of time, effort, and money in it and it is truly customized then great more power to you. But if you think that someone who puts a muffler and stickers on a car and say its customized then thatís a different story. Basically what I am saying is not the ricer itself is such a bad thing, I'm saying that the people who try and FAKE customize their cars are what makes me mad. I would figure that people who enjoy working on their cars would have the same thoughts about all the hipe in putting a wing on a car and calling it customized.

elwesso
05-03-03, 12:19 PM
I agree, its just completely retarted to make a car look fast and it cant do anything, but the few ricers that look fast and GO fast, then that is a slightly different story.

HotRodSaint
05-03-03, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by gspencer914
So really what your saying hotrod is that if you put a KN air filter on your car with a muffler and said this is the badest car on the planet then everything would be ok.

If putting a screaming chicken on the hood of your ugly gold and black '80's sports car makes you feel superior to the guy who has a sticker collection on his import car, then who am I to tell you both that you have bad taste. That's all I'm saying.

The fact is that if you want to customize a car then buy an old Chevy camaro with a 350 and have enough money left over to make it run in the 12s not get a civic put a muffler and think you can race anyone around town.

That's not a fact. That's your opinion, which is your privledge to hold since it's America. But when you start enforcing your opinion, thats facism.

I'm not a car fascist. I'm an enthusiast.

As far as things you canít control, if people who are enthusiasts continue to condone this type of action and say itís acceptable for you to do without putting time and effort into customizing the car then things will never change.

Have you ever seen a Rat Rod? There are many street rodders who think they are ugly and a waste of a good car. But who cares as long as the owner enjoys the car?

If you are a true sports car fan...

Most people I've known who claim to be true sports car fans would never consider buying an American muscle car. They are narrow minded too.

...then you will appreciate the sole drivers that do it right the first time no matter what car they drive.

I appreciate that there are some kids who are in college and want a reliable car for transportation but can't afford to 'customize' their car to your standards. So they get a muffler and put a sticker on it.

At least it's not a screaming chicken on the hood. Or an NRA sticker on the rear window. Or a Gore/Leiberman sticker on the bumper. Or...

HotRodSaint
05-03-03, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by elwesso
I agree, its just completely retarted to make a car look fast and it cant do anything, but the few ricers that look fast and GO fast, then that is a slightly different story.

Yea, it is pretty RETARDED that stock Cavaliers that look fast get beat by stock Civic's that look slow. You'd think GM would have learned a lesson from the '70's.

JerseyGirl
05-03-03, 06:04 PM
I can't stand rice..I was behind a black honda shitvic...or honda terd, I can't remember which one it was, but he has stickers all over it & a HUGE exhaust pipe..when he went by, I swear it sounded like a baby blowing rasberries out his mouth! I hated it...but that's just me. There is a cool site...ricehatersclub.com, if you aint into rice. :D

kcnewell
05-03-03, 07:54 PM

I think it's completely RETARDED to spell RETARDED that way! The B.F. count rises.....Yet again!:banghead:

kempie
05-03-03, 08:57 PM
I now think I can explain why people do those muffler/sitcker things to a good economy type car.
There are two universal trueisms that, in my mind, explain it:
Water seeks its own level & shit floats.......

Devil_concours
05-03-03, 09:53 PM
I actually don't mind kids putting apexi/greddy exhaust as they do add power to their civics but if it's those fugly autozone/pepboys coffee can muffle, um what a waste of money.

gspencer914
05-03-03, 10:35 PM
That's not a fact. That's your opinion, which is your privledge to hold since it's America. But when you start enforcing your opinion, thats facism.

I'm not a car fascist. I'm an enthusiast.

I'm sorry if your unable to read between the lines. The camaro thing is just an example. This is just one of the many cars that you may purchase cheap and fix-up relativly inexpensive. As far as this being america, I have defended this country time and time again in the battle field not watching it from CNN. I also think that most people find it hard to see that if we buy products that are made by our own country then it helps the american worker. Not the country that once tried to deface america.

I appreciate that there are some kids who are in college and want a reliable car for transportation but can't afford to 'customize' their car to your standards. So they get a muffler and put a sticker on it.

My standards of customizing a car are not that bad, but if your gonna claim to customize a car then do it right the first time. Dont think a sticker and exhaust classifies a car a customized. If you cant afford to do it then by all means dont. If most people who are car buffs think that customizing a car is more than a sticker and muffler then so be it. As far as I'm concerned I see customizing a car by making drastic changes to engine, or body sytle. This is the true form of customizing. Take Katshot for an example, he truely customized his car. This is not me putting my ideas in your head its the truth.

HotRodSaint
05-03-03, 11:26 PM
I'm sorry if your unable to read between the lines. The camaro thing is just an example. This is just one of the many cars that you may purchase cheap and fix-up relativly inexpensive.

When an author writes something and claims it to be fact, it's not up to the reader to interpret what the author really meant to say. As the reader I take you at your word.

As far as this being america, I have defended this country time and time again in the battle field not watching it from CNN.

First, CNN sucks. I prefer the fair and balanced FOX. Second, I served my 4 years, as did my father, as did his father who died in WWII. So please stop playing the star spangled banner, you sound like a politician.

I also think that most people find it hard to see that if we buy products that are made by our own country then it helps the american worker. Not the country that once tried to deface america.

Ok, we aren't Arab's that hold 1000 year grudges against some country that wronged our great grand puba along time ago. We are American's. We forgive and forget.

Besides, we are talking mostly used car's. So it doesn't support anyone except the used car dealer or the private party, who are all Americans (unless they are immigrants, is it ok with you if we buy car's from Japanese immigrants?).

And exactly what is an American car? One that's assembled by Canadians or Mexicans? That doesn't help American workers. But buying an Accord or Camry would.

My standards of customizing a car are not that bad, but if your gonna claim to customize a car then do it right the first time. Dont think a sticker and exhaust classifies a car a customized. If you cant afford to do it then by all means dont. If most people who are car buffs think that customizing a car is more than a sticker and muffler then so be it. As far as I'm concerned I see customizing a car by making drastic changes to engine, or body sytle. This is the true form of customizing. Take Katshot for an example, he truely customized his car. This is not me putting my ideas in your head its the truth.

You're right, your standards for customizing a car are very low. I think if you begin using the term 'modifying', as most car guys do, then a Honda with an exhaust qualifies as modified. I don't think anyone really customizes their exhaust or engine. It's hot rodded or modified. Custom seems reserved for the body or the interior.

And a custom car doesn't even need to run. Many famous show winning customs didn't.

lux hauler
05-03-03, 11:33 PM
And a custom car doesn't even need to run. Many famous show winning customs didn't.
Yep........It's been going on for years.
Anyone remember the song No-Go Showboat?

Ralph
05-03-03, 11:58 PM
I guess this is an epidemic up here as well. Guys putting Bazooka exhaust tips, huge aluminum wings, and mag wheels on their civics. It's the stickers and the wing that look silly to me. (I love the Bandit Trans Ams with the chicken however) It all comes from that movie "Fast and Furious". Wait until number two is released soon, then we will see other cars butchered as well.

elwesso
05-04-03, 12:32 AM
KC, i set that one up to make sure you're still on top of your game :D :histeric: :rofl:

Devil_concours
05-04-03, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Ralph
I guess this is an epidemic up here as well. Guys putting Bazooka exhaust tips, huge aluminum wings, and mag wheels on their civics. It's the stickers and the wing that look silly to me. (I love the Bandit Trans Ams with the chicken however) It all comes from that movie "Fast and Furious". Wait until number two is released soon, then we will see other cars butchered as well.

i was planning on getting a supra at the time but i changed my mind after f&F got released and it raised the price of supra by 2~3 times more

kcnewell
05-04-03, 12:38 AM
KC, i set that one up to make sure you're still on top of your game :D :histeric: :rofl:

Wes!......You're SO F.O.S.!!:D Nice try though.

Ralph
05-04-03, 12:38 AM
For Supra's, I like the mid '80's style. (two tone red and black comes to memory)

Devil_concours
05-04-03, 01:52 AM
For Supra's, I like the mid '80's style. (two tone red and black comes to memory)

i like the last gen since they're awesome on track and dyno.
Hopefully F&F won't jackup the price on other cars when it comes out.

Brett
05-04-03, 06:35 AM
I was out driving yesterday, when a Beetle and a 2 door saturn whizzed by me, all "riced" out. The funny part was i was behind them at a light, and they punched it when it turned green, but they didnt really go anywhere, just a lot of noise, obviously both cars were stock, it was funny to watch. Probably the only race either one of them ever had a chance of winning.

kcnewell
05-04-03, 09:24 AM
I've got to agree with Kempie and HotRodSaint on this one. The rice boys may be retards ( Wes, Check spelling ) but at least they're doing something to their cars and perhaps someday they'll figure out a better way. We had plenty of guys in high school with 65 and 66 Mustangs with a 6 cylinder, mags and a glasspack that thought they were cool. And maybe sometimes when they raced a car as slow as theirs, they thought for a second that they were fast too. Not everyone can afford a Cadillac. ( I feel sorry for them ;) ) The WORST thing that could happen I.M.H.O. is for everyone to just accept what ever performance and Accessories the O.E.M. offered and not ever change anything. I may not agree with the little rice heads idea of cool, but I love the fact that we live in a country that lets them do it! And besides like I said before, They're kind of funny to watch! The other side benefit of having them around is, If I'm bored and want to be mean I can go out on the expressway and find one and race him.....:D

STSFreak
05-04-03, 04:23 PM
I think that whatever these guys are doing is cool. Don't get me wrong, i dont want one but if these guy sare fixing their cars up how they want it, thats fine. If they like what they've done, I wont make fun of it....Unless they piss me off!

elwesso
05-04-03, 09:36 PM
I guess what makes us the most mad is seeing all that money going to waste. You may put in 10k to get a good ricer, and maybe pay 15k to buy it. With that 25k, you could get yourself a good vette or something that is fast to begin with.

Devil_concours
05-04-03, 09:39 PM
I guess what makes us the most mad is seeing all that money going to waste. You may put in 10k to get a good ricer, and maybe pay 15k to buy it. With that 25k, you could get yourself a good vette or something that is fast to begin with.

what about insurance? Insurance cost difference between vette and a civic is prolly uncomparable. I agree with getting a sports car as a base of custom car but I also don't think it's that bad to make a sleeper out of a civic (sleeper as in no hints of being fast in any way).

elwesso
05-04-03, 09:46 PM
Spending on all your money on performance improvements is so much better IMO than doing on appearance and then performance with whatever is left.

Ralph
05-05-03, 02:49 AM
Spending on all your money on performance improvements is so much better IMO than doing on appearance and then performance with whatever is left.

I guess at least it is good for the economy. This Civic stuff is kinda like when we were kids and we put hockey or baseball cards on the wheels of the spokes of our bikes to make noise. Thays all it is, kinda like personalizing their cars. Better they spend it on their car than something like drugs.;)

HotRodSaint
05-05-03, 07:24 AM

True. But when you're young it's about impressing the girlies. And they don't care about your engine. ;)

In fact, that never changes no matter how old you are! :D

Elvis
05-06-03, 10:18 AM
Hello, Elvis.

I'm recovering from spending the past three years and about $400 on performance enhancements for my Honda Prelude.

I bought it new in January of 2000. I had been visiting a couple of Honda forums and when I read that you could get maybe 25 additional horses just by spending a couple hundred bucks here and there, I thought I'd try it.

They LIE!

Technically, you DO get extra horsepower by putting an intake and pulleys on a 4-cyl engine. BUT IT'S NOT USEABLE POWER!

Any engine that creeps along until it hits 4000 rpm is worthless, IMO.

Yes, it's nice to get 27mpg city (after intake, pulleys, and Mobil 1) and 34 on the highway. This car wasn't supposed to get much better than 24 highway and 21 city. It's supposed to be "the best Integra ever made..."

From about 4500-7500 rpm the car is a screamer. It is sweet when VTEC kicks in. But I'm afraid it's going to blow a gasket if it has to work that hard to make useable power.

Truth be told, I bought it because I thought it was a pretty little car. Then I got swept up in "riceboy fever" trying to make my pretty little car into something it isn't.

I learned my lesson. But at least I didn't put one of those "buzz bomb" coffee can mufflers on it. And I NEVER put any stickers on it.

I'm almost 40. My back hurts. I have a bad hip that is aggravated by getting in and out of this thing. I can't fit but one of my dogs in it at a time.

Chalk this one up to a premature mid-life crisis. I'm getting a Caddy.

elwesso
05-06-03, 05:06 PM
GO ELVIS!!!

Devil_concours
05-07-03, 12:11 AM
one word of warning.... honda fan boys are the worst group to talk to out of all import brand base sites. They will ban you if you told them that you beat a civic si with intake and exhaust with a 4000+lb caddy.

kcnewell
05-07-03, 01:07 AM
As if anyone wants to talk to them????

Ralph
05-07-03, 01:17 AM
The Preludes are really beautiful looking cars (sorry KC bud) But I would imagine it would cost a lot to get them "really much faster." The only reason I was considering one is was for the gas mileage and I don't like Neons, Cavs, or Foci.

kcnewell
05-07-03, 01:45 AM
It's in the eye of the beholder Ralph! I think they look cheesey!

Ralph
05-07-03, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by kcnewell
It's in the eye of the beholder Ralph! I think they look cheesey!

As opposed to a Focus or Arsetek?:shocked2: :vomit: :farting:

kcnewell
05-07-03, 06:18 AM
NO!........As opposed to any car that I would consider owning! That automatically excludes.....Ford, And certain G.M. cars ( The Asstek and Escalades come to mind ) and ANYTHING built by a Japanese company and of course BMW!

Astronomer
05-07-03, 07:17 AM
Maybe it's a good time for a joke. (somewhat Honda related) A guy walks into his Doctor's office complaining that whenever he farts instead of the usual pfft noise that he used to get it now comes out HONDA HONDA. So the Doc looks puzzled for a second or two and then it finally dawns on him. I Know! he exclaims in a eureka moment. Open your mouth he says. What? what's that got to do with anything he asks? Just open your mouth and let me see orders the Doc. Aaahh.... Just as I suspected he observes, You have an absess! What are you talking about Doc? says the guy ....have you lost your marbles? What's an absess got to do with my buttocks? The Doc looks at him with a condescending glare and asks:

Haven't you ever heard the famous saying "ABSESS MAKES THE FART GO HONDA?" :burn:

Elvis
05-07-03, 10:11 AM
Here are a few estimates:

2000 Honda Prelude, 200 hp flywheel, 147 hp to the wheels BONE STOCK.

add the following...

AEM Cold Air Intake = $250
AEM Tru-Power Pulleys = $130
Header = $450 (some run as high as $600)
Mugen Exhaust (the best, not ricey) = $1400
MSD or Jacobs ignition system = $350+
VTEC controller (maximizes effect) = $450
----------------------------------
Total = $3030 (in mods you can easily install YOURSELF)

All of this together might get you 190 hp at the wheels, but relatively, you actually sacrifice some torque because you lose back pressure. The pulleys help a little bit, but not enough.

Some people spend another thousand on a new racing clutch, which kills every day driveability. Then they start thinking about turbos and super chargers, and of course, NOS.

I've actually run across people on the internet who bought a new Prelude for about $26000, and then spent over $5000 on engine-related performance enhancements before they even put 500 miles on the car.

I won't even get into the costs of body kits, suspension modifications, brakes, and of course, I.C.E.--(in-car-entertainment) which by itself can run $3000-$5000.

It's not uncommon for some of these people to spend more on the mods than they spent on the car in the first place. One guy even got his engine blueprinted and virtually re-built the whole thing from the bottom up.

By the time they're done, they could've bought a brand new STS.

kcnewell
05-07-03, 10:19 AM
And!.....If they'd bought an STS, They'd have a REAL car!

Devil_concours
05-07-03, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Elvis
Here are a few estimates:

2000 Honda Prelude, 200 hp flywheel, 147 hp to the wheels BONE STOCK.

add the following...

AEM Cold Air Intake = $250
AEM Tru-Power Pulleys = $130
Header = $450 (some run as high as $600)
Mugen Exhaust (the best, not ricey) = $1400
MSD or Jacobs ignition system = $350+
VTEC controller (maximizes effect) = $450
----------------------------------
Total = $3030 (in mods you can easily install YOURSELF)

All of this together might get you 190 hp at the wheels, but relatively, you actually sacrifice some torque because you lose back pressure. The pulleys help a little bit, but not enough.

Some people spend another thousand on a new racing clutch, which kills every day driveability. Then they start thinking about turbos and super chargers, and of course, NOS.

I've actually run across people on the internet who bought a new Prelude for about $26000, and then spent over $5000 on engine-related performance enhancements before they even put 500 miles on the car.

I won't even get into the costs of body kits, suspension modifications, brakes, and of course, I.C.E.--(in-car-entertainment) which by itself can run $3000-$5000.

It's not uncommon for some of these people to spend more on the mods than they spent on the car in the first place. One guy even got his engine blueprinted and virtually re-built the whole thing from the bottom up.

By the time they're done, they could've bought a brand new STS.

do you have type-sh?
also your car doesn't need all the torque in the world since it's light weight. If you are driving a manual version you should be able to feel some oomph. Anyways I like them all import, domestic, and unknown. :D

Ralph
05-08-03, 12:20 AM
So Elvis, if they do all these mods while the car is new, don't they void their warrenty?

Elvis
05-08-03, 10:03 AM
Yes, Ralph, warranty voided. Riceboys don't need no stinking warranty! I've heard of some of them encountering warranty issues, and they scrambled around for two or three days trying to remove all the bolt-ons before they took the car back to the shop.

Devil, mine is not a type-SH, it's a sport-shift model (automatic). I never really wanted to turn it into a performance monster, and I never wanted to spend a lot of money. But the stuff I did boosted the mpg tremendously. I was surprised.

The car weighs something like 3100 pounds. Torque is an issue, could be better, could be worse. This car really doesn't do much under 3500 rpm.

Revrend
05-08-03, 10:56 AM
I used to work for a tuning shop, and one of our best customers was a kid that saved his own money for a few years, then paid to have the front end of a Civic imported here from Japan. the entire front clip, as well as the doors, most of the interior, and the rear hatch. The kid practically had that entire car shipped over here...then we took it apart, and put all the crap into his own Civic Hatchback. He certainly has a unique car around her now.

Psychoholic
05-08-03, 11:18 AM
My best friend owns an NSX, and that thing is nothing short of spectacular.

Another friend of mine has the 'worlds most riced out, anti-rice' CRX on the face of the planet (he painted it yellow with house paint and called it 'Uncle Ben's Yellow Rice'), the car is horrendous, and slow, but he loves it to death and gives people with fast cars tons of respect.

It sounds like a bumble bee running down the road, but his attitude makes him an 'import enthusiast' not a ricer.

What makes it all fairly funny is that the import guys who actually have fast cars, have the same basic mindset and respect of the domestic guys who have fast cars. It's always the guys with slow cars who have the 200 mph mouths.

"If your car was as fast as your mouth, you could hold the record in 10.5 outlaw racing"

Chris (Psychoholic)

Elvis
05-08-03, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Psychoholic
...the import guys who actually have fast cars, have the same basic mindset and respect of the domestic guys who have fast cars. It's always the guys with slow cars who have the 200 mph mouths.

I agree. A machine is a machine. It takes the same kind of talent and mindset to get the most out of it no matter how many cylinders it has.

It all comes down to what type of challenge you want to meet. I happen to think that getting the most out of a 4-cylinder engine is more difficult than if you start with 8. But it sure can be frustrating.

elwesso
05-08-03, 08:48 PM
That is true. No matter how you look at it, you wil always be able to extrude more power from a 8 than a 4.

Ralph
05-14-03, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by Brett
I was out driving yesterday, when a Beetle and a 2 door saturn whizzed by me, all "riced" out. The funny part was i was behind them at a light, and they punched it when it turned green, but they didnt really go anywhere, just a lot of noise, obviously both cars were stock, it was funny to watch. Probably the only race either one of them ever had a chance of winning.

Can an American car and a German car be "riced out"??

Elvis
05-14-03, 09:17 AM
absolutely.

30 years ago, we used a different ethnic slur, though.

Cyphatic
05-14-03, 01:43 PM
By general consensus, ill give the basic definitions that have to do with rice.

Rice-Rocket = Pretty much a Japanese car, I guess a sports car.

Rice, Riced-Out, Ricey = A car, any car, import/domestic, modified to LOOK and/or SOUND faster, meaner, etc, without really improving performance. Stickers, Peanut Cans, Spoilers, and anything that could be a performance part on one car (like a scoop on a hood for cooling), but is installed (usually improperly) on a car that gains no performance benefit from it.

There is probably a riced out version of just about every american and japanese car in existance, as well as most euro cars. I've seen riced M5's, Mustangs, a 70's GN with a wing, and there's probably plenty of riced out caddy's.

People associate the term Rice with imports. They should change the word to something less specific (not to mention down right durogatory). Course civics are probably the highest riced-out population out there. But Jettas, 5.0's, etc arent far down the list.

I'm definately an import enthusiast as much as a caddy enthusiast. My ideal future would contain a 57 Brougham, and either a Lancer Evo VI, or a 92 Skyline GTR.

Yes i would mod both, but no, no rice :)

Cyphatic

elwesso
05-14-03, 06:39 PM
I have even seen Q45s riced out beyond imagination.

Originally posted by Cyphatic
People associate the term Rice with imports. They should change the word to something less specific (not to mention down right durogatory). Course civics are probably the highest riced-out population out there. But Jettas, 5.0's, etc arent far down the list.

Cyphatic

hmmm, sounds familiar KC!!!:rolleyes: :D

kcnewell
05-14-03, 09:46 PM
Whatever! Anything manufactured by a company that is based in the orient is by defenition.....RICE! I'll continue to refer to it as such! ( Sorry Wes ) Politically correct? Not me!

elwesso
05-14-03, 10:27 PM
To each there own. Call it what you want, its still the same.

Stoneage_Caddy
05-14-03, 11:00 PM
well next time a import kid harasses any caddy owner just let them know how many more bottle of that nawszzzzz stuff we can put in our maffia spec trunks

i shoulda got stock in that NOS company before that movie came out , damned ricer kids buy that crap like its going out of style

Ralph
05-14-03, 11:52 PM
I agree with KC, I'm sorry but I cannot think of Katshot's Caddy as "riced out!"

elwesso
05-15-03, 08:44 PM
I think Kevins FTS is tasteful.

Blackout
05-19-03, 05:45 PM
I'm telling you every day I see more and more civics with pissed of bumble bee mufflers and a few nitto racing stickers on them. This upsets me. If your gonna go and buy a car for preformace then go and buy a Vette, by the time you get these cars to run decent you've paid for a new Z06 vette. Anyone else tired of the import deal. There are some imports that I respect NSX, 3000GT VR4, just to name a few these cars are worthy of the SPORTS car image, but if your a highschool student and mommy and daddy just bought you a civic and you put a sticker and a pissed of bumble bee muffler on in and think your the fast and furious, PLEASE STOP. Well thats one of the most biased things I have ever read. For under $7k I would have a car that not only would stomp a mud hole in any Caddy you line up next to it but it would give a C5 Vette *non Z06* a run for its money if not beat it. Get a used Nissan 240SX *1992 Hatchback w/ 5 speed manual* take out the stock KA24DE engine and throw in a SR20DET in it from Japan, and get a boost controller and there you go! You have a hig to mid 13 sec. car running on street tires. Throw on a pair of slicks and you'll be doing low 13's maybe a very high 12 on a good day. But yeah I can see how that is kinda close for the price of a Z06.....like one of its wheels.

Blackout
05-19-03, 05:50 PM
Can an American car and a German car be "riced out"?? Yes American and German cars can be riced out.....here is the proof......here is a riced out German car

Blackout
05-19-03, 05:50 PM
Here are 2 pics of riced out american cars.

Blackout
05-19-03, 05:51 PM
here is the other one.....

Temeculapd
05-19-03, 06:55 PM
First of all, hi I am new on this board, and this is my first post here. I am on this board because, among other cars (mostly imports, g35, s2000, wrx sti) I am intrested in a cadillac cts, and one of these cars I will be buying at some point in the very near future. They all have their own positives and negatives, and I am attracted to them all for different reasons. I have been on several forums for a while, this is my first time on a forum for a domestic car forum. I should also say that I am fairly young; I am 21. I currently drive a Celica GT that I have had since I was eighteen. It is mildly modified. I am not trying to flame, I am simply trying to present another point of view.

A huge shock I had when I came here was the amount of disdain many people have here for imports, especially when modified. I do not personally care for the taste some import enthusiasts have for body kits and wings and such. I have heard things like "They want performance, they should buy a vette" and "why don't they buy a real sports car?" Let me point something out. These "ricers" are usually high school and college age young men. They are car enthusiasts. Because of their age many cannot afford corvettes, ferraris, and other cars you would call true sports cars. I am quite sure that when many of them are middle aged they will be buying these cars but right now they are buying what they can afford. Because they are car enthusiasts they are making what they can afford faster and trying to make it stand out. I could not afford a high performance sports car when I was eighteen so I bought a celica and did some minor modifications to increase performance make it stand out a little.

Apparantly, some feel that because I couldn't afford a Corvette, I cannot be a car enthusiast. What's that you say? If you want performance and a low price why didn't you buy something nice like an old muscle car and fix that up? Why would I want to do that? It takes a huge investment in time that I don't have to restore a car, I enjoy modern amenities such as power windows, power sunroofs, and cruise control, and ABS, and most importantly, because I drive no LESS than five hundred miles a week and I am not intrested in a vehicle that gets 10 miles per gallon.

I am now a little better off than I was when I was 18, and I can afford a nicer car than my celica, and thats why I am considering a CTS. (which, if you notice is by far the WORST car of the bunch, performance wise) I will do some performance modifications and some styling modifications to any car I choose to purchase because I am a car enthusiast.

NOW LET'S GET TO THE MORAL OF THE STORY:
1. Modifying an lower-priced import does not make you a ricer. It simply makes you a car enthusiast that probably can't afford a true sports car.
2. Most of us have some dumb, pointless hobby like hunting, computers, horses, ham radios, Harley-Davidsons, golfing, guns, football, dog shows, sewing, drinking beer, skateboarding, or birdwatching. Those who spend large amounts of time and money building import "show cars" (you know, the ones without a single performance modification but look like a loud neon spaceships) are no more or less dumb than the rest of us, however tasteless they are ;)
3. Yes, there are as many ignorant import owners who think their intake, muffler, and aftermarket wheels make their car the end all be all authority in street racing as there are ignorant muscle car drivers who think no engine can ever compete with anything with a "Hemi."
4. There ARE civics/celicas/preludes that will blow our doors off, and there are alot of them (maybe not percentage wise). These enthusiasts command the same respect from me that I would give to a highly modified, blown 5.0 mustang owner (or Camero, for you Ford haters). But would any Infiniti/Audi/BMW/Cadillac owner trade in their car for any of the above? Probably not, because we are still driving much nicer cars.
5. Not all people who drive imports are 17 year old, spiky hairied, Linkin-Park listening to, poseurs, just like all domestic drivers are not overall wearing, sister loving, eMachine buying, mullet having, rednecks.

03EscaladeAWD
05-19-03, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by BlackoutSpecV
Yes American and German cars can be riced out.....here is the proof......here is a riced out German car Ewwww. That spolier has more sitting space than the interior of the whole car.

elwesso
05-19-03, 10:13 PM
welcome aboard Temeculapd

That is a very good post, maybe a record first post :D

I can totally agree with you that these "ricers" are car enthusiasts, and are spending their money on what they like. BUT..., that small percentage of "ricers" that can acutally go fast could have the same amount of power if they had bought something powerful to begin with. It doesnt necessarily have to be a cadillac, infiniti, BMW, etc, but you can still find cheap, high performace cars. I would much rather see someone drop 5k on camaro than i would on a little civic. IMO, it makes more sense to get something already powerful and make it more powerful, rather than taking something not powerful and trying to make something out of it.

Blackout
05-20-03, 12:20 AM
Also don't forget about insurance.....as of right now I couldn't afford insurance a sports car no matter what year it is!

Ralph
05-20-03, 12:36 AM
To me "riced out" still just means Jap cars!

HotRodSaint
05-20-03, 07:43 AM
Also don't forget about insurance.....as of right now I couldn't afford insurance a sports car no matter what year it is!

That may change soon. Seems like there are too many fast and furious people driving compact car's and killing themselves. (There's really no need to be furious while behind the wheel.) The insurance companies are looking at it now. Rates could rise soon.

Katshot
05-20-03, 07:57 AM
Temeculapd:
Great post man! :thumbsup:
You probably didn't (or won't) get through to the die-hard "buy-American" crowd but I agree with you.

Everytime I get depressed about the younger generation coming out of school these days, along comes a guy like yourself that restores my trust in you guys.

*Note to self: They're not ALL friggin' idiots ;)

kcnewell
05-20-03, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by Katshot
Temeculapd:

Kevin, I'm way ahead of you here....Why,In the last ten years I've met at LEAST three that could walk and chew gum without falling down!:D

Mad'lac
05-20-03, 12:23 PM
Tell me where the guy who owns that Mustang lives in Texas and I'll personally kick his ( Y ) for doing that and giving Texans a bad name (ok so we already have one)

Blackout
05-20-03, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Mad'lac
Tell me where the guy who owns that Mustang lives in Texas and I'll personally kick his ( Y ) for doing that and giving Texans a bad name (ok so we already have one) Wish I knew where he lived so I could help you out but I found the picture while on another forum.

Blackout
05-20-03, 03:31 PM
Also as for everyone referring to the people who modify their imports by calling them the Fast and the Furious kids....well atleast their cars are pretty quick, so I would rather be Fast and Furious then Slow and Curious like Cadillac owners are.....I can't wait to see what people are going to say to this....:) *P.S. I am just playing around*

elwesso
05-20-03, 04:56 PM

IMO, this is what makes luxuary cars the best.... They can go fast, but dont look it, so insurance isnt as bad.

elwesso
05-20-03, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by Katshot

Im glad you think that ;) :D

HotRodSaint
05-20-03, 07:08 PM
Also as for everyone referring to the people who modify their imports by calling them the Fast and the Furious kids....well atleast their cars are pretty quick, so I would rather be Fast and Furious then Slow and Curious like Cadillac owners are.....I can't wait to see what people are going to say to this....:) *P.S. I am just playing around*

I'm from Los Angeles. The trend started there when your parents were thinking about whether or not to use birth control. The sport compact trend is much older than you think.

JJhomer83
11-25-03, 03:07 PM
Well i just had to bring this one back up.

I have been watching the import seen sprout up over the past few years right before my eyes. I graduated in 01 and while in high school i bashed the hell out of the kids NO MATTER what they drove or how well there car was set up. Now since i have gotten out of high school and know a lot more about cars i understand what is just fo sho and what is fo go. IF you really take the time to look at some of the custom imports out there it takes a lot of time/money and creative thinking. yes most of the guys out there are doing it for looks but the ones that know what they are putting on are smart people making a ricer 4 banger do low 10s, 11s .etc... Who would ever think that.
But i guess i will never get the wing that is taller than a truck. Maybe someone who can help me out on that one.

Blackout
11-25-03, 04:55 PM
Well you just had to bring this one back didnt you josh!? ;) But either way you look at it no matter what kinda car you have someone out there has a riced out version of it. When I was in Cancun a guy had a new Deville with graphics and a big aluminum spoiler on it. But the biggest complaint I hear from most people his how imports with their exhausts sound like bumble bee's, etc. Well no matter what you do that is what a 4 cylinder will sound like with an aftermarket exhaust. So no matter how much money you put into a car with a 4 cylinder and you throw on an aftermarket exhaust it will sound the same dame near.

mingrey02gt
11-26-03, 12:35 AM
My Mustang loves to eat rice. :eyebrow:

JJhomer83
11-26-03, 09:15 AM
Well you just had to bring this one back didnt you josh!? ;) But either way you look at it no matter what kinda car you have someone out there has a riced out version of it. When I was in Cancun a guy had a new Deville with graphics and a big aluminum spoiler on it. But the biggest complaint I hear from most people his how imports with their exhausts sound like bumble bee's, etc. Well no matter what you do that is what a 4 cylinder will sound like with an aftermarket exhaust. So no matter how much money you put into a car with a 4 cylinder and you throw on an aftermarket exhaust it will sound the same dame near.

So what your saying is that no matter what 4 cyc. engine you put on an aftermarket exhaust you get that funny sound. Or is that just something that they go for? that is true that just about EVERY car has been riced out. I still don't get the whole giant metal spoiler though do you?

Blackout
11-26-03, 10:08 AM
Think of it this way......whenever you throw on a exhaust on a V8 what sound do you get all the time? The deep roar of a V8 that everybody know's. Its the same thing with every other engine. 4 cylinders have a very loud high pitched sound. There are minor differences with exhausts also with you want more chambers to lessen the sound but then the exhaust will be more restrictive and you will lose some performance. Thats why the race cars don't even use an exhaust or if they do its a straight pipe with no muffler at all. But as for the whole big wing thing......I wish I knew what that was about. but hey beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I wouldn't do that to any of my cars personally. but hey if you want it on your car and you think it makes your car look cool then hey more power to ya. I don't think anybody has the right to talk crap or even worry about a riced out car or whatnot. Its not your car, you don't drive it, so then why do you care? Either way, one you take the wings, decals, neon's, and whatever else it has done to it. In the end its still a car to get you from point A to point B.

Mad'lac
11-26-03, 11:07 AM
Not talking crap about the other guy's car? Damn there goes the Ford vs. Chevy rivalry. Talking crap is part of the Hot Rod culture. Just like in Football when the linebackers talk crap to the quarterback. It's what drives the other guy to try his best on the field to shut them up. All I say is if you got the power to back up the looks then more power to ya. It just ain't my cup of tea. I would rather take a 96-99 Civic hatchback and swap in an Integra GSR interior, swap in a Prelude engine, and add on JDM Civic Type-R body parts. The less clutter the better. Wings belongs on planes , outlaw cars, sprint cars, and dragsters.

JJhomer83
11-26-03, 11:45 AM
Well the main thing that i am trying to get across is the logic behind certain things that "ricers" do to there cars. Which is performance and what is eye candy. I see a lot of it in the town next to mine and I here a lot about different engines with b14, b13 etc... and i don't really understand that. Also i hear everyone talking about there turbos. To my knowledge turbos are only good when you are moving not for acceleration. How many horses are in the average ricer? Which ones are the fast ones that are stock, which ones are CRAP?

Blackout
11-26-03, 12:02 PM
You can never really tell which one's are the fast one and which one's are not. There was a kid with a white early to mid 80's Honda Civic Hatchback running 12's with a turbo. But thats kinda how it is for any type of car. Perfect example are the Buick Regal GS's. You would never think they are fast but when we were at E-Town for the meet there was the white one there running 13's and I think it also broke into the 12's but I'm not totally sure. But hey let the kids have fun with their cars and making themselves look dumb. In the end they'll eventually grow out of it.

davesdeville
11-26-03, 06:41 PM
As long as I'm here.. what's up with exhaust tips? Do they actually provide any performance enhancement? If so, how? It doesn't make sense to me, the atmospheric pressure that resists exhaust coming out is the same a "performance" tip as it is with a stock one.

junior2377
11-26-03, 10:14 PM
Yea, it is pretty RETARDED that stock Cavaliers that look fast get beat by stock Civic's that look slow. You'd think GM would have learned a lesson from the '70's.

i'm gonna have to call BS on this one... I happen to be a BIG Cavalier fan.... owning and customizing one myself... and stock for stock.. the Cavalier is MUCH faster than the Civic... probably more than a second faster in the 1/4... but i do agree... don't make a car look fast unless it is fast....

***EDIT***

the attached pic is my Cavalier.. and yes.. it's pretty fast too :D

elwesso
11-27-03, 12:00 AM
To each their own, but I wouldnt be caught in that thing.... however, you probably want to be caught in my Q45!!

MMNineInchNails
11-27-03, 12:08 AM
I'll stick with my gas guzling '70 cadillac than get in a civic anyday.

Ralph
11-27-03, 02:15 AM
i'm gonna have to call BS on this one... I happen to be a BIG Cavalier fan.... owning and customizing one myself... and stock for stock.. the Cavalier is MUCH faster than the Civic... probably more than a second faster in the 1/4... but i do agree... don't make a car look fast unless it is fast....

***EDIT***

the attached pic is my Cavalier.. and yes.. it's pretty fast too :D

With speed, there must come safety. The only reason that I would take a new Civic over a Cavalier is the terrible side impact rating on the Chev. (check NHTSA) Something like 1.5 stars is unforgivable, whereas Honda gets 4 stars for side, 5 for frontal impact! Very impressive for such a small car.

This is a little off topic, but am I the only one to notice the terrible ratings also on: Malibu's, and Alero's, and the fwd Olds Cutlasses? GM seems to have issues in this area. IMO. Also, the Cadillacs (FWD) up to and including 1990, were not well rated as compared to the 1991+.

I think the aftermarket is much better for Honda than Cavalier, correct me if I am wrong.

AKPsiMC03
11-27-03, 11:50 AM
Okay. how the hell did i mess this thread for so long?!?!?!. its my rant time.

I hate imports.

I work in a city that well, but the people are trashy, they smell for the most part and they drive crappy cars. From my office, every 10 min i can hear someone go buzzing up the street and it makes my teeth grind. I absolutly cannot stand that sound.

most of the cars are $500 hondas wityh $2000 rims, a wing, half and unpainted bodykit cus they souldnt figure out how to attach the front part, and a really loud annoying muffler.

My only saving grace is that unbaffled mufflers are now illigal in CT and so are loud exhausts. In CT now, even on domestics, which is kinda unfair but hey ill deal, it is illigal to have a loud exhaust. This will eventually cut down on the fart noise because all the car that sound like that have a straught through muffler.

Where did i leave off? oh yeah, those aggressive body kits you always see on imports, many of them are VERY unsafe. Ive seen some that require you to remove the mettal support of the bumper so all you have between the thing you are hitting now and you is a small 4-cyl go-kart motor and a fire wall.

But some 4-cyl cars are actually nice. My mom bought a 2003 SVT Focus back in September. I LOVE that car. It looks awsome and it drive like a dream. It does have a louder exhaust, but Ford tuned it so it doesnt buzz, it just rummbles (as much a 4-cyl can) and with 170 HP in a 2800 lb car its no slow poke either. Not to mention it will turn on a dime and stop on one too. and 6-sp is soooo much fun to drive. Someone just needs to make something like that in RWD, make it affordable, and make it NOT an import. The focus alrady has a kit from FRPP for $5000 not including the motor and tranny, you can convert your focus to a RWD V8... yes thats right, v8! in a 2800 lb car... talk aobut kick ass.

im done, i ran out of rants and got side tracked.

I hate honds bouncer:

junior2377
11-27-03, 01:21 PM
I think the aftermarket is much better for Honda than Cavalier, correct me if I am wrong.

you are 100% correct... you can go to any corner store and buy parts for a civic...

Blackout
11-27-03, 06:50 PM
Well i think the whole import exhaust thing is really overrated. I think its very biased that they pull over kids or anybody in general for driving imports with a loud exhaust but a Harley or a domestic with just as loud exhaust goes by with no problems.

Mad'lac
11-27-03, 06:54 PM
Odds are the guy in the Harley could kick the @$$ of the Policeman who pulled him over.

elwesso
11-27-03, 07:31 PM
Very true!!!

Plus, you dont get domestic V8s confused with chainsaws!!!!

Ralph
11-27-03, 08:54 PM
Good point BlackoutSpec, we go walking sometimes in the evening, and when a Harley goes by they usually scare the crap out of us! (probably KC with a German spiked helmet!) They tend to rev-up when they are right beside you to show off. It sounds like a machine gun going off in your ear. There are noise bylaws here to make stereos and loud mufflers illegal, but no one ever mentions Fatboys going by! :xevileye:

Mad'lac
11-27-03, 10:05 PM
Sorry but I prefer the sounds of a Harley over a import anytime. Besides Ralph......how the hell can the Harley scare you? I mean you should be able to hear the bike from a good distance away, not like he sneaks up on you then starts the bike up. :D

Ralph
11-27-03, 10:16 PM
Sorry but I prefer the sounds of a Harley over a import anytime. Besides Ralph......how the hell can the Harley scare you? I mean you should be able to hear the bike from a good distance away, not like he sneaks up on you then starts the bike up. :D

I know, I know, it's just that they crank it when they are touring right near people walking. You can hear them comming, but it's only when you are on the recieving end of their tailpipe it is really loud. They are just out to get me I guess. bouncer: :histeric:

Mad'lac
11-27-03, 10:43 PM
He is protecting you...letting you know he is driving by you so you don't jump in front of him. I heard how bad Canadiens are with the crime of jaywalking. :histeric:

elwesso
11-27-03, 10:43 PM
Well who wouldnt be out to get you......?

Ralph
11-28-03, 12:15 AM
It's true about the jaywalking! We could use some of those Texas "cattle crossing" signs up here. :yup:

About the Cavalier, the price is right at $12,900 CDN. A new 2 door Civic si. is 21,000. So I suppose if you wanted to be "cool" you could take the difference and spend the other 10 grand on a boomin' muffler to impress all the chicks. :D

Ralph
11-28-03, 12:17 AM
Well who wouldnt be out to get you......?

I know, it's frustrating with all these women after me. :coolgleam :histeric: :coolgleam

Blackout
11-28-03, 11:34 AM
I was watching a documentary on Harley Davidson on the history channel and they said on it that the reason their bikes are so loud is because of "illegal" tampering with the exhaust. So then in itself should be enough of a reason to put an end to these Harley's which have no reason being so damn loud.

Mad'lac
11-28-03, 12:07 PM
Let the Police concentrate on the Import buzzbombs first then when they took care of them they can go after the Harleys.

bob2231
11-28-03, 01:08 PM
Odds are the guy in the Harley could kick the @$$ of the Policeman who pulled him over. That stopped being true a while back. And it died totally when Malcolm Forbes and his Wall St buddies decided that Harleys made them look less like hair-dressers. So they screwed the prices for average people. Then they all trouped on down and got tattoos and leather chaps and became notorious tough guys.
The truth about Harley riders these days is they're as likely to be some business fruit sitting on a butt plug as they are an outlaw.
Oh, that's IMO of course.
Bob

Blackout
11-28-03, 01:32 PM
IMO all Harley's are is bike for guys who can't handle a real bike such as a Hayabusa :D

Stoneage_Caddy
11-29-03, 12:37 AM
"IMO all Harley's are is bike for guys who can't handle a real bike such as a Hayabusa "

not entirely true , with my back problems and short legs i cant ride a hayabusa as i have to stand on one foot at stolights which puts my back off center (pain) , nor do i like to go 205 mph on 2 wheels , i like to cruise the streets and have something easy to maintain and that leaves oil spots in the garage , doesnt mean i couldnt ride the zuki at 10/10 ths just means it isnt worth spending the money for something i wont want to ride every day ..maybe i couldnt handle it.....

i do agree the rich urban bastard bikers ruined the harley image

ive sat on and messed with damn near every bike out there the 1200 harley sportster is the only thing i can feel like going to daytona on (even tho that engine is so rough ) but alas between the stupid car drivers and the price tag ill probably give up and say my old suzuki rm125 dirt bike was the last bike ill ever own

but the sound of a ducatti (sp?) at full song still stands the hair on the back of my neck up

anyone seen the honest charlies flat head ford v8 bike on trucks last weekend ? that was badass

Mad'lac
11-29-03, 01:33 AM
Yeah I saw that bike!!!! Sweet sound too!!!!!!!
http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motor_cycles/2003/7/honest_charley_flathead_V8/images/tb_cokerlead.jpg

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motor_cycles/2003/7/honest_charley_flathead_V8/images/tb_cokerrear3-lg.jpg