Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Wheelman322 
#1 · (Edited)
Just bought this 80 FWB Coupe D'Elegance with a true 72k for $1500. Tell me what you think.

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!! Lucky bastard! Iron block 368 V8, THM 400, low miles, D'ELEGANCE! all for $1500. I think you got the steal of the year!

#5 ·
Oh my God! It reminds me of my '83 *sniff*.

I sold that in hopes of finding a white Fleetwood Coupe some day, now you bought one. I saw that on eBay and was considering it, but the blue interior turned me off. I already have two cars with dark blue, I don't need a third.

So, what are your plans? Total resto like with your Brougham, or does it need it?

#9 ·
Thanks for the compliments people. Always makes me feel better to know others in this forum endorse my purchase.

I had to do it Ben. I wasn't looking for another car right now, but i've always wanted a FWB coupe and IMO 80 is the best year with the 368 and TH400. The D'elegance package is just the icing on the cake.

F'n awesome. Time for a 500 ...
Not sure yet, but I think i'm gonna leave it bone stock and build my 78 up a little bit. Wire spokes are def on the priority list.

hey dude NICE car! i love the d'elegance cloth seats. pretty much the same car except for you have 2 less doors than me. lets see more pictures already!
I love the velour seats. My other Cad has leather, but nothing compares to the pillow cloth. And yeah, I'll get some nice clear pictures up right after I detail it. Right now it's kind of dingy on the pass side and needs a good compounding.

Say, how's the 368 compare to the good old four-and-a-quarter as far as power goes? I've always wondered how much of a difference that liter actually made. I know the 425 was rated at like 180hp and 320 lb/ft for the 4bbl and the 368, IIRC, was like 150hp & 270 lb/ft. Is it a big difference?
Didn't get on it yet, but i'll def let you know. As far as cruising the 368 feels pretty much on par with the 425. My 425 is freshly built, so i'm sure it's a little ballsier than this 27 yo 368 if you put them side by side.

#6 ·
Say, how's the 368 compare to the good old four-and-a-quarter as far as power goes? I've always wondered how much of a difference that liter actually made. I know the 425 was rated at like 180hp and 320 lb/ft for the 4bbl and the 368, IIRC, was like 150hp & 270 lb/ft. Is it a big difference?

#14 · (Edited)
Wheelman, just posted a pic of my Caddy in the Sticky thread: "Post a pic of your RWD Caddy" in this forum section.

Some years ago (mid 90's) there was a local salvage yard that had a really nice Fleetwood Coupe ('80-'84?). Probably had a bad engine or something, the body and interior were in super shape. I should have bought it, as I thought it was quite rare at the time. They will surely be future collectibles.

#17 ·
So...Here's how it went down. After a three hour drive to PA, I met with the guy and his family at 11:30 pm. The whole family chipped in to offer they're history of the car. Car looked better than the pics, the interior was beautiful and you could eat off the quietly running 368. We exchanged money and titles and I was on my way with my friend following behind me. I filled up the gas tank and cruised down highway 61 in PA. Engaged the cruise control and holy shit it worked. Turned on the factory radio and surprise...a power antenna rose from the fender. The car was floating silently down the road, even quieter and smoother than my 78 which has swollowed the better half of 20,000 in restoration fees. This was too good to be true...and it was! All of a sudden all my light go out, than the car sputters to a slow crawl like it's gasping for fuel. I pull into a convenience store parking lot and it stops. To me it feels like the alternator, but it's obviously brand new like the owner told me. I called him and he came to meet me with his whole family. After hours of tinkering under the hood, jump starting and tightening the alternator belt the car refused to run on it's own juice. So at 3:30 this morning I threw in the towel and left the car in PA. He asked me if I wanted my money back and of course I refused, I said "just fix the car and get it to my front door", He agreed.

#21 ·
I'm almost certain it was something minor. The owners gonna resolve the issue regardless of what the problem is before he delivers it to me, so either way it's a win/win situation. I was just really looking forward to getting the car in my driveway so I could detail it and replace the broken fillers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.