Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Feasibility of Interior Transplant Between Two Broughams

1K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  jayoldschool 
#1 ·
Hey guys, first post here.

I recently bought a white 1988 Cadillac Brougham D'Elegance that I'm currently fixing up (good condition -just minor things to fix). The only thing I don't like about it is the blue interior, with velour seats. Recently I saw a grey 88 Brougham with a bunch of problems with it, but whose interior is near immaculate black leather. The guy is asking $400 for it.

My question is: Is it possible for me to transplant the broken car's interior into my Caddy, keeping the rest of it for spare parts, or would a new 'custom' interior be a better alternative? My intuition is the latter.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Actually, it should be easy. Tons of parts from 1977 through 1992 will just bolt right up. And if the black is so mint, why go custom?

#3 ·
If you can't handle the velour seats, why not just get them covered in leather? A total swap would be quite an undertaking, since you probably would have to also do the headliner, dash assembly (upper/lower), steering column etc. If you really hate blue, by all means do it. Personally, I think the blue is quite nice looking (LOL, as that's what I have)!

#4 ·
You have light blue. Dark blue can get very old... very fast. That's coming from a person who currently owns two cars with dark blue interiors.

It wouldn't be *that* hard. a pain in the ass, yes, but not hard.

#6 ·
For $400 go for it! It is hard to find mint interiors these days, especially if all the power options still work.

#8 ·
Interiors are ridiculously easy to swap. No rusty or greasy parts. Just go slow, label your fasteners, and don't break plastic parts. If I were you, I would buy the car, swap the interior into your car, then swap your interior back in the new car and flip it. You will sell it for more than you paid if you clean it up nice:thumbsup:

#11 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. I have decided to swap the cars' interiors, and hopefully by the end of the summer will have a nice white Brougham with black leather interior. I'll try to do most of the work myself (having noticed, after careful inspection, the large number of simple to switch parts). With the harder stuff, like the doors and steering column, I'll probably take it to a professional.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.