: Trans or Oil Cooler ?

95Concours
04-07-04, 04:03 PM
In front of my radiator there is a small oil cooler type unit.. Does anyone know if this is for the transmission fluid or the engine oil?

Thanks!

1995 Deville 4.6 NS

fristim
04-08-04, 01:32 AM
Oil cooler!

LCLCLC
04-08-04, 01:43 AM
Power Steering?

I thought the oil and trans were cooled through side tanks in the main radiator.

WillGlueIt
04-08-04, 06:51 AM
It's the power steering fluid cooler.

Roswell256
04-08-04, 10:10 AM
you have to cool power stearing fluid??

BeelzeBob
04-08-04, 12:10 PM
In front of my radiator there is a small oil cooler type unit.. Does anyone know if this is for the transmission fluid or the engine oil?

Thanks!

1995 Deville 4.6 NS
I think what you are looking at is an engine oil cooler. On the early model Northstar cars with the L37 engine there is an engine oil cooler in the radiator end tank AND an air-to-oil engine oil cooler in series in front of the radiator. The air-to-oil engine oil coolers are about 8 inches by 6 inches in size and look just like a small radiator.

On those cars I am not aware of a transmission oil cooler that is an air-to-oil cooler....the trans oil coolers are in the radiator and are different sizes based on whether the car was rated for trailer towing or not.

Some vehicles have a power steering oil cooler depending on the application. Usually a power steering oil cooler is pretty small....usually just a loop of the steel tubing that sticks into the air flow ...

The engine oil coolers on the Northstar applications were discontinued in later years as the available engine oil in the aftermarket improved for high temp operating characteristics. The air-to-oil engine oil coolers disappeared entirely and the water-to-oil coolers in the radiator end tanks are only installed on trailer package cars and some high performance applications like the GXP Pontiac Bonneville with the Northstar engine.

95Concours
04-14-04, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the info..... Ya, the cooler is about 8 inches long and 4 inches high...