: Second Head Gasket problem, 93 Eldorado

Norman93Eldorado
06-19-07, 02:13 PM
On our 1993 Eldorado with only 48,000 miles, the local Cadillac dealer replaced the back head (near the firewall) and head gasket only 7,000 miles ago but more than one year ago. It was a VERY expensive repair, and the repair is out of warranty. Now the same head gasket is broken again.

A good non-Cadillac mechanic said that the problem is that the dealer did not fix or replace the inserts in the block that the head bolts screw in to. Therefore the insert probably came loose, or the head bolts did not torque correctly, causing the head gasket problem. I think that AJxtcman wrote about this problem on June 2, 2007, and he talked about a short block replacement.

We need advice. My wife loves this car for sentimental reasons. Should we pay for another $3,000 repair? Or should we really push the dealer to give us a break on a repair that only lasted 7,000 miles? Or buy a short block? Or just get rid of the car?

Thanks for your help.

dwight.j.carter
06-19-07, 02:36 PM
Go after the dealer they didn't do the job correctly. Get the Better Buisness Bureau involved if needed. Also I would send an email to GM and let them know what there dealer is doing behind there back. This is complete malarky that this is allowed to happen in the first place.

AJxtcman
06-19-07, 02:47 PM
You need to talk to the service manager or director.
A service writer can not authorize a repair like that. If it is 12-12 in house warranty you have half a leg.

misfit6794
06-19-07, 03:22 PM
That is complete and utter bullshit. A cadillac dealer should be very aware of what causes the headgaskets to fail (the threads in the block). There is a fix for this called timeserts, they would have prevented the problem from happening again. I can not believe that a dealership would complete a headgasket repair and NOT use timeserts. I fail to see how they even torqued the headbolts correctly if there was a failing thread to torque them into. What bothers me even more is that they only replaced ONE headgasket, both should have been replaced and timeserted. Dig up every single document having to do with the repair and raise hell. The dealer should have used timeserts, and they know it, i am guessing that they hoped you wouldn't. Tell the dealer you want it fix properly, and for free, or look forward to legal action, I am sure a compentent lawyer will have no problem takin the case, and it will be cheaper than having the headgasket fixed again. The dealership did a really really poor job, and you should not have to pay for their mistakes.

Norman93Eldorado
06-20-07, 09:01 PM
Thanks for all of your input.
I think that they did use timeserts in the repair, but I am not sure that they torqued the head correctly (See http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm)
We will contact Cadillac Customer Service and then contact the manager of the dealership (the service manager does not make decisions at that dealershipl).