: U-n-a-c-c-e-p-t-a-b-l-e!

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 11:43 AM
ooJYl-ceVd8

Disclaimer: Video is news moderated but still graphic, so beware.

Im sure you guys by now have heard about the disastrous car show incident that occured at a Cars for Kids event that occured in Tennessee this past weekend involving the death of six spectators, 3 of which were teenagers.

Well, I just watched the video on Youtube and it's got to be the stupidest, most avoidable accident Ive ever seen. There are *NO* barriers between the track and the spectators. Perhaps im a newbie to drag/funny-car racing, but NEVER have I seen a case where cars with that kind of raw power and potential for destruction are allowed to perform within FEET of spectators with NO SUCH barrier there to protect them. What a recipe for disaster.

I do not find the poor driver of the call in any way at fault in this, except that he himself should have been somewhat aware of the potential of his vehicle so close to bystanders. The organizers of the event are going to have some TOUGH questions to answer. Absolutely ridiculous... entirely avoidable tragedy.

RightTurn
06-18-07, 12:13 PM
No doubt a totally avoidable tragedy. That video is difficult to watch.

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 12:19 PM
Sorry about that, I just put a disclaimer in there, it is a bit graphic.

pabstcadillac
06-18-07, 12:20 PM
Cars for Kids event that occured in Tennessee

This is pretty much all I needed to read to know that something could have been done to avoid an accident of this nature. :alchi:

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 12:25 PM
I Just heard another tidbit about it on the radio (I listen to talk radio all day at work). Quoting some official.. "Its a complex situation... We've held this event for 18 years with no problems".

Well you are DAMN lucky then... I guess thats what complacency does for you. And what the HELL is complex about it?!!... you put barriers up to protect people, end of story.

Its unfortunate for the kids the charity was designed to assist as well.

EcSTSatic
06-18-07, 12:25 PM
I don't even want to watch it. I know it happens in other countries all the time. Not that it is right mind you, but in other countries much of the liability is placed on the spectator.
Just take a look at snow skiing in CO vs Austria sometime. I was amazed at how much difference there is in trial marking. In Insbruck it would have been easy to ski off the end of the world :eek:

Blackout
06-18-07, 12:39 PM
Gee.....I would have never guessed that trying to drag race a top fuel funny car on the street would be a difficult thing to do. Hell you hear about this kinda stuff all the time with just regular street cars so what made them think that doing the samething with a funny car would be "more safe"? But that was a avoidable accident. They should have had it at a drag strip.....you know......where funny cars belong

Spyder
06-18-07, 01:42 PM
"You can see the car, which we believe, is the one that was involved." Nah, I think its the OTHER top fuel car that's wrecked on the side of the road...

I wonder how much Kylee and Renee Jones got paid to give up that video?

Blame blame blame blame blame... Ya can't protect everyone from everything. The spectators stood on the sidelines. They could see, for themselves, that there was no barrier. They made the choice to stand there.

I, without a DOUBT, would be standing there with them.

EVERYTHING we do, every day of our lives, is potentially disastrous and deadly. Yea, it sucks. It's a crappy situation to have happened. Maybe it shouldn't have been done on the street like that, but this is freaking Tennessee. People are still free to do what they want without every aspect of their lives being governed and "protected."

I'm not saying that I'm glad it happened or that anyone deserved it or any other BS people will read into this. Just that things do go wrong and you can't protect everyone from everything. People should be allowed to make their own decisions about where they stand on the side of the road.

Years ago we had a Sprint Car flip upside down and land on some of the crowd up in Chico, home of the Gold Cup. There is a twenty foot tall safety fence in front of the entire grandstands. The car went through it. Shit happens and it sucks that it does, but every aspect of every situation can not be controlled. I still go to the races. I know people who don't, who are terrified of another freak accident like that happening. The same could happen in their own homes. A car could go through a wall in a home and run them down just the same. Crappy thought, but hey, it could happen...

K, now I almost feel like an ******* with no feelings...but... oh well.

Spyder
06-18-07, 01:44 PM
And I disagree that it was a "hard" video to watch. Just another story on the nightly news. Fits right in with the rest of the sensationalistic crap they throw up there to make us watch and give them money.

CIWS
06-18-07, 01:57 PM
Was that anyone's winning lottery numbers up on the screen ? ;)

It appears to me that was a normal street and not a drag strip. If that is the case then I have to wonder who thought it would be a good idea to let a drag racer go flying down a street lined with spectators at full throttle. Those cars loosing control and crashing into the barriers at the strip are not uncommon, much less an open street.

blackdog
06-18-07, 02:02 PM
I guess the question would be why do they allow them to drag race on the streets. Sick.

Caddy Man
06-18-07, 02:58 PM
Wow when I first read the story, I thought that it was regular cars that were doing stand still burnouts and just lost control when they eased off the brake. You know like classic muscle cars just burning out like I see at every car show around here. I had NO IDEA they were acutal drag racers. Who the hell thought of putting real drag cars out there with no barrier?????? WOW....:eek:

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 03:03 PM
"You can see the car, which we believe, is the one that was involved." Nah, I think its the OTHER top fuel car that's wrecked on the side of the road...

I wonder how much Kylee and Renee Jones got paid to give up that video?

Blame blame blame blame blame... Ya can't protect everyone from everything. The spectators stood on the sidelines. They could see, for themselves, that there was no barrier. They made the choice to stand there.

I, without a DOUBT, would be standing there with them.

EVERYTHING we do, every day of our lives, is potentially disastrous and deadly. Yea, it sucks. It's a crappy situation to have happened. Maybe it shouldn't have been done on the street like that, but this is freaking Tennessee. People are still free to do what they want without every aspect of their lives being governed and "protected."

I'm not saying that I'm glad it happened or that anyone deserved it or any other BS people will read into this. Just that things do go wrong and you can't protect everyone from everything. People should be allowed to make their own decisions about where they stand on the side of the road.

Years ago we had a Sprint Car flip upside down and land on some of the crowd up in Chico, home of the Gold Cup. There is a twenty foot tall safety fence in front of the entire grandstands. The car went through it. Shit happens and it sucks that it does, but every aspect of every situation can not be controlled. I still go to the races. I know people who don't, who are terrified of another freak accident like that happening. The same could happen in their own homes. A car could go through a wall in a home and run them down just the same. Crappy thought, but hey, it could happen...

K, now I almost feel like an ******* with no feelings...but... oh well.

Youre missing the point ENTIRELY. The accident where the car flew in the air, the ones where the raceboats flip up into a crowd etc etc... OK YES, *those* CAN be considered an ACCIDENT. There were safeties in place but sometimes you cant account for everything as you mentioned. Key phrase THERE WERE SAFETIES IN PLACE. At least there was SOMETHING that had been done to ATTEMPT to protect the public.

There is a difference between an ACCIDENT that no one could foresee, and a BLATENT DISREGARD of safety and COMMON FRIEKEN SENSE. In this case, had any idiot with half a brain stopped to assess the situation (top fuel drag car on a county road....hmmmmm gee i wonder), it did not need to happen in the first place. The car was supposed to hit a barrier, not people.

This is not one of those "Mcdonalds coffee is too hot even though the cup says HOT" situations that you seem to be making it out to be.

Jonas McFeely
06-18-07, 03:31 PM
This goes two ways:

1. It was a blatant and total disregard for public safety and no Funny Car should EVER be on the street, barriers or not.That guy who OK'd it should have to personally appologize to all of the families and give some sort of financial contribution to them. I dont think its the drivers fault,but he really should have known better.

2. You would have to be a total dipshit to stand on a street that a Funny car is racing down with no barriers. Its common sense. Im not saying they deserved it,and it really is tragic and all that,but seriously,WTF?

I wouldnt be within 200 feet of that damn thing,barrier or not.

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 03:39 PM
This goes two ways:

1. It was a blatant and total disregard for public safety and no Funny Car should EVER be on the street, barriers or not.That guy who OK'd it should have to personally appologize to all of the families and give some sort of financial contribution to them. I dont think its the drivers fault,but he really should have known better.

2. You would have to be a total dipshit to stand on a street that a Funny car is racing down with no barriers. Its common sense. Im not saying they deserved it,and it really is tragic and all that,but seriously,WTF?

I have no problem with either of those points... agree with you 110%.

danbuc
06-18-07, 04:35 PM
Someone's goin' to jail for Gross Negligence...

Top Fuel Funny Cars should never touch any surface other than a properly prepped track. To do otherwise is to invite disaster. The people who are gonna be held accountable are those who organized and setup the event. People in general are stupid. If they see Funny cars running down a public street with no barriers in place, they will assume that it's perfectly safe to stand along the side and watch. You see this a lot in Rally Racing. Where there's a fence, people generally tend to stand behind it, believing that it's there to keep them out of danger. With no fence, people will literally stand right at the edge of the road because there's nothing telling them it's unsafe (that's where the stupid part comes in). They're the people you see on you tube who end up with the Citroen that missed the turn on top of them. Granted people should have more common sense, but the monkey see-monkey do affect is hard to overcome. You have one idiot standing in the road, eventually others with follow thinking it's ok. That's why it's so important for organizers of events like this to take proper safety precautions. Not just for the physical aspect of it, but also for the psychological as well. If people see others behind the barrier, they're less likely to stand in front of it. In short, blame rests on those who set it up, and those who watched it. Come to think of it, the driver should have had more sense as well. Knowing full well that the only thing stopping his car from flying off the road in case it got squirrely on him was people, should have been enough to think twice about even unloading the car off the trailer. I guess you kinda have to blame everybody. Anyone of them could have prevented this by simply understanding why it was a bad idea. Then again....as some mentioned before....it was Tennessee. You wouldn't find that kinda stuff going down in Jersey.

DBA-One
06-18-07, 04:49 PM
I'd never stand where those people did. Drag racing has barriers, etc for a reason and even an exibition should be handled better than this. I don't want to blame the victims but all involved should have known better. I see no criminal charges coming but I see lawsuits. For sure.

Oh, and where was the "Funny Car" as far as I can tell, the vehicle in question is not a FC. Am I missing something? Not that it matters. The details that is.

Kev
06-18-07, 04:53 PM
I think everyone here has listed valid points. There is no doubt that this event was foolish in it's conception and execution but this is a relatively free country where we are free to do stupid things though not without consequences.

Look at the popularity of the Jackass series. (by the way, were they from Tennessee too? or was it Arkansas?) Any way, here's more fodder for the Darwin Awards.

It's a shame that there were people killed and hurt. It certainly could have been avoided as can most accidents. This one just happens to be more pointless and foolish than some I've seen.

I expect there will be a number of law suets as a result. Another foolish aspect of our "free society". Will we ever learn? Any student of history will tell you 'no'. As smart as we think we are we do things to prove the opposite every day.

By the way, it looked to me as there was only one car making a run up the road... Not that it matters.

:nono:

Blackout
06-18-07, 05:26 PM
Oh, and where was the "Funny Car" as far as I can tell, the vehicle in question is not a FC. Am I missing something?I guess you don't know what a funny car is

Jonas McFeely
06-18-07, 05:34 PM
Oh oh oh oh snap. Look at the video again. There WAS a guardrail! The dipshits were standing outside of it. Not that it would have made that much of a difference,but there was a rail in place. Take a look...

Kev
06-18-07, 05:39 PM
Oh oh oh oh snap. Look at the video again. There WAS a guardrail! The dipshits were standing outside of it. Not that it would have made that much of a difference,but there was a rail in place. Take a look...Right-e-o Jonas, good catch!

Rolex
06-18-07, 05:49 PM
This goes two ways:

:postcount:

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 05:50 PM
Well, I saw the guardrail as well, but it was absolutely demolished. The car went THROUGH the guardrail. Those highway guardrails are no match for a car impacting with that kind of velocity.

It improves the odds for the organizers a LITTLE because MAYBE they can throw up a defense saying they thought the guardrail would provide sufficient protection and see if it sticks... but it will be tough. And some people were outside of the railing, but not all of them.

Im sure alot of you guys have seen the sheer thickness and construction of the barriers at NHRA sanctioned drag racing events... they are INSANELY thicker than they need to be. A little guardrail has no chance. In fact, I wouldnt be surprised if that guardrail sliced right through a person. It probably became a flying dagger after the car hit it.

Adam
06-18-07, 06:14 PM
:nono: Wow... no words for the lack of negligence... just damn. :nono:

Rolex
06-18-07, 06:18 PM
:nono: Wow... no words for the lack of negligence... just damn. :nono:

Lack of negligence? :alchi: :p

DBA-One
06-18-07, 06:26 PM
I guess you don't know what a funny car is

To me, a real FC is Top Fuel. Think John Force. Not a lower level car. I guess you think Formula Ford is F1 too?

Blackout
06-18-07, 06:37 PM
To me, a real FC is Top Fuel. Think John Force. Not a lower level car. I guess you think Formula Ford is F1 too?A funny is a funny car. Just because you don't view it as such doesn't change the fact that it is a funny car. You have F1, and Indy. At the end of the day a F1 car is the same as a Formula Ford. both are open wheel race cars just one has a shit load more money dumped into it while the other is a weekend racer

Rolex
06-18-07, 06:47 PM
I always thought a funny car was defined by the entire fiberglass shell of the car opening upwards. Am I wrong?

Kev
06-18-07, 06:53 PM
..... The first funny cars were built in the mid-'60s and so-called because the rear wheels had been moved forward on the chassis to improve traction on the rear tires. Looking at the cars, they didn't quite look stock, hence the name "funny." Many of the older cars are still raced today in the NHRA Heritage Hot Rod Racing Series, including the National Hot Rod Reunion and the California Hot Rod Reunion. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funny_Car):rolleyes:

CIWS
06-18-07, 07:07 PM
Part of the deal is we have no idea how many people in that crowd knew a dragster was going to be ran down that road, especially at that kind of full speed run. For all we know they were told a dragster would be simply driving by. Someone(s) made the decision it was OK to make a run at that speed. Whether it was just the car's driver and/or the organizers of the event.

JimmyH
06-18-07, 07:22 PM
I'd never stand where those people did. Drag racing has barriers, etc for a reason and even an exibition should be handled better than this. I don't want to blame the victims but all involved should have known better. I see no criminal charges coming but I see lawsuits. For sure.

I am with you, but Spyder is right, no one was holding gun to those spectator's heads.

Although, this is the first time I have ever heard of, let alone seen, spectators on, or anywhere near a drag strip. Stupid. :thepan:

JimmyH
06-18-07, 07:24 PM
By the way, drag racing is fun if you are the contestant, but where is the entertainment in watching it? I usually get in about 2-3 minutes on Tv before I get bored and change the channel.

Kev
06-18-07, 07:27 PM
It can be exciting in person at the track, especially if you have a pit pass.

JimmyH
06-18-07, 07:30 PM
I have never been to any pro racing of any kind, but I have been to amateur road racing events, and some drag racing (8-9 second cars). Still boring to me. I would like to go to a top fuel event. It would be fun to see what a 4 sec 1/4 mile looks like in person.

Jonas McFeely
06-18-07, 07:35 PM
I love going to the track,especially on amatuer night. At Speedworld in Orlando they have a night where any Joe and pay and race a certain amount of times. I used to go there all the time with my dad when i was younger. I want to go back and see what the Brougham will do, lol.

danbuc
06-18-07, 09:09 PM
I love going to the track,especially on amatuer night. At Speedworld in Orlando they have a night where any Joe and pay and race a certain amount of times. I used to go there all the time with my dad when i was younger. I want to go back and see what the Brougham will do, lol.

I love that place, but their safety inspection is a complete joke. The last time I was there, they had to put quickdry down at least 3 times, and were constantly re-prepping the track because cars were leaking crap, and blowing up left and right. One night I was there, some fool with a set of slicks on his Monte broke one of the axle retaining clips in his rear end doing a burnout, and sent the axle flying when he launched. Another guy wiped out in his Vega I think it was, at the end of the track. Some guy in an SRT Dogde ram almost drove int o the wall when he hit a slick spot too. That place is dangerous...but fun.

As for guardrails, there's a reason why drag strips are lined with concrete highway dividers on either side. No metal guardrail is gonna stop a ton and a half of steel, rubber, and fire going at 150-200+mph for crap. They barely stop regular cars going 50mph. If they were planning on letting them loose like that, they should have set up concrete dividers along the side of the road.

I'm sure there will be MAJOR safety changes at event like this from now on, just like there was when that Silver Arrow plowed into the crowd at Le Mans back in the thirty's. It's a hard lesson, but judging how the event was set up, it was bound to happen. At least now they no for the future, and should be able to prevent any further catastrophe's like this one.

gary88
06-19-07, 01:53 AM
I go up to Route 66 in Joliet all the time for drag races. It's great to see at night with the flames shooting out the exhaust. I even met John Force and Joe Amato before he retired.

Doesn't even come anywhere close to an F1 race though :rolleyes:

Spyder
06-19-07, 02:03 AM
Youre missing the point ENTIRELY. The accident where the car flew in the air, the ones where the raceboats flip up into a crowd etc etc... OK YES, *those* CAN be considered an ACCIDENT. There were safeties in place but sometimes you cant account for everything as you mentioned. Key phrase THERE WERE SAFETIES IN PLACE. At least there was SOMETHING that had been done to ATTEMPT to protect the public.

There is a difference between an ACCIDENT that no one could foresee, and a BLATENT DISREGARD of safety and COMMON FRIEKEN SENSE. In this case, had any idiot with half a brain stopped to assess the situation (top fuel drag car on a county road....hmmmmm gee i wonder), it did not need to happen in the first place. The car was supposed to hit a barrier, not people.

This is not one of those "Mcdonalds coffee is too hot even though the cup says HOT" situations that you seem to be making it out to be.

So it would have been ok if there had been a concrete barrier that the car just happened to jump and still land on a portion of the crowd? That doesn't make sense. The way it you worded that up above sounds like a lot like "as long as you go through the motions to protect people, its ok. We can at least say that we tried. We'll feel good about it then."

I dunno. I still say that IIII would have been one of the dumbasses standing close to the road. Because it would have been fun. S-H-I-T happens and I understand that. Living on the edge is fun. That's why I drive fast when I can, that's why I've driven 800 horsepower boats and shot fully automatic weapons and kayaked down white water rapids and jumped out of airplanes for fun. I know there is risk involved and I accept it. Commen sense says that some of those can be dangerous, depending on who's with you and what precautions you take. My point is that EVERYTHING we do EVERY day of our lives can potentially be dangerous.

Where do we draw the line as to what we do and what we don't do out of fear of GBI or death? Me, I draw the line much further out in the sand than some people because I enjoy doing things that others won't.

Airshows should be banned, forever, for everyone. They may fall out of the sky and land on people. I've seen that happen once too! I forget exactly when, but I was about twelve years old and one of those single seater mini-jets crashed and the guy burned in it. No more airshows. Shit no. Somebody might get hurt.

Maybe its wrong of me, but I'm a big fan of taking care of ones self, making ones own decisions, learning from said decisions and being free to screw up and get better. As I've said before, I would have stood as close to that car as I could as it drove by. I'd have enjoyed every second of it. I would have KNOWN, through commen sense and experience, that the car could possibly lose control. I would have accepted that and still stood where I wanted.

I'm not blaming anyone. IMO, The driver should have chosen not to drive there, yes. That car was too fast for a non-track surface. But none of us here are professional drivers are, even better, race drivers. They know better than us. Maybe he DID go out and inspect the "track" and approve of the road surface. We'll probably never know. I'm just saying that its not really worthy of international news and criticism. It's just going to be a basis to take more of our individual freedoms away, make more of our decisions for us and allow less of our own experience to take place.:mad:

Spyder
06-19-07, 02:03 AM
Stupid computer.

Spyder
06-19-07, 02:04 AM
Double.

Playdrv4me
06-19-07, 02:26 AM
So it would have been ok if there had been a concrete barrier that the car just happened to jump and still land on a portion of the crowd? That doesn't make sense. The way it you worded that up above sounds like a lot like "as long as you go through the motions to protect people, its ok. We can at least say that we tried. We'll feel good about it then."

I dunno. I still say that IIII would have been one of the dumbasses standing close to the road. Because it would have been fun. S-H-I-T happens and I understand that. Living on the edge is fun. That's why I drive fast when I can, that's why I've driven 800 horsepower boats and shot fully automatic weapons and kayaked down white water rapids and jumped out of airplanes for fun. I know there is risk involved and I accept it. Commen sense says that some of those can be dangerous, depending on who's with you and what precautions you take. My point is that EVERYTHING we do EVERY day of our lives can potentially be dangerous.

Where do we draw the line as to what we do and what we don't do out of fear of GBI or death? Me, I draw the line much further out in the sand than some people because I enjoy doing things that others won't.

Airshows should be banned, forever, for everyone. They may fall out of the sky and land on people. I've seen that happen once too! I forget exactly when, but I was about twelve years old and one of those single seater mini-jets crashed and the guy burned in it. No more airshows. Shit no. Somebody might get hurt.

Maybe its wrong of me, but I'm a big fan of taking care of ones self, making ones own decisions, learning from said decisions and being free to screw up and get better. As I've said before, I would have stood as close to that car as I could as it drove by. I'd have enjoyed every second of it. I would have KNOWN, through commen sense and experience, that the car could possibly lose control. I would have accepted that and still stood where I wanted.

I'm not blaming anyone. IMO, The driver should have chosen not to drive there, yes. That car was too fast for a non-track surface. But none of us here are professional drivers are, even better, race drivers. They know better than us. Maybe he DID go out and inspect the "track" and approve of the road surface. We'll probably never know. I'm just saying that its not really worthy of international news and criticism. It's just going to be a basis to take more of our individual freedoms away, make more of our decisions for us and allow less of our own experience to take place.:mad:

That view just plain doesnt make any sense. Perhaps you choose to live your life "on the edge" but that doesnt mean by any stretch that the rest of us shouldnt practice and pursue safety within reason, nor that we shouldnt be protected. If we all lived the way you do, itd be ok to screw hookers without a condom and the police? Ha! Screw the cops who needs em, its every vigilante for himself in this dog eat dog world!

Highline Cady
06-19-07, 03:13 AM
Bottom line is this is was just a bad idea. It was a bad idea 18 years ago, and every year since then. Those kind of cars just shouldn't be on the street, period. It's amazing that it took this long for something bad to happen. Sad as it is though, maybe something good will come from it. Like not doing that anymore, or those images sticking in the minds of fans and them keeping their distance, which would have been a much smarter thing in the first place. Tough lesson to learn.

Spyder
06-19-07, 03:55 AM
That view just plain doesnt make any sense. Perhaps you choose to live your life "on the edge" but that doesnt mean by any stretch that the rest of us shouldnt practice and pursue safety within reason, nor that we shouldnt be protected. If we all lived the way you do, itd be ok to screw hookers without a condom and the police? Ha! Screw the cops who needs em, its every vigilante for himself in this dog eat dog world!

No, not at all.

Just this.

Those who choose not to stand too close to the race car, they simply don't...stand...by...the...RACE CAR! Yea! Good plan! :highfive:

Hmmmm...doesn't seem like too difficult of an idea, does it? If one doesn't feel comfortable standing five feet from a track where a car is about to do a hundred and fifty mile an hour pass, MOVE. No one forced them to be there. It was an accident and it sucks, but they CHOSE themselves to be there and they had the option to stand two hundred yards away, had they wanted to.

They were protected plenty. They had the option to move away from the danger/excitement zone.

I, for one, enjoy my freedoms and the ability to do things which I enjoy. I don't enjoy being told that I can't do something I want to do because someone, once, got injured doing it. I know what I'm doing, usually, and I know the risks. I choose every day to take those risks, be it leaving my house and walking across the street to my truck or walking across the runway to get into a plane that I'm going to jump out of at 9,000 feet. You do the same, the driver of that car does the same and the spectators did the same.

Accidents happen in all aspects of life. This one, in particular, sucks more than a lot of 'em. It could have been prevented had they just not run the car on the street, as seems to be the popular vote on what SHOULD have been the outcome. Would that make people happier? I doubt it. This is the sort of thing that people live for. Not the death but the excitement of the event had it not gone wrong.

I fail to see how your comments on prostitution and law enforcement come into play. :rolleyes:

Jesda
06-19-07, 07:18 AM
I even met John Force

HOT DAUGHTER ALERT

http://www.aetv.com/drivingforce/images/meet_the_forces/df_ashley_image_detail.jpg

Carry on...

hardrockcamaro@mac.c
06-19-07, 11:16 AM
I did wonder how the car mamnaged to hit the crowd while peeling out as every drag track I've ever been to has had big concrete barriers that would stop a semi...

The organisers and the driver/team are foolish to do that sort of demonstration, they know what can go wrong.

However...

The crowd are stupid for ignoring the danger as well.
People are frankly responsible for their own safety imho.

No-one ever thinks of the consequences.
Would I stand there? Yes. I know the consequences and still would because it's exciting. If I had kids or whatever would I let them stand there? No way.

The worst things I see are on European rally's where the crowds (some 15 to 20 deep) are standing actually in the road as the car comes hurtling towards them at 90mph. A second or two before it reaches them they scurry out of the way. It's insane.

Silver Dollar
06-19-07, 11:39 AM
....The worst things I see are on European rally's where the crowds (some 15 to 20 deep) are standing actually in the road as the car comes hurtling towards them at 90mph. A second or two before it reaches them they scurry out of the way. It's insane.

Yeah, but who cares.....they're smelly Europeans......

JimmyH
06-19-07, 11:52 AM
Some guy in an SRT Dogde ram almost drove int o the wall when he hit a slick spot too.

Just goes to show you, SRTs on a race track are U-n-a-c-c-e-p-t-a-b-l-e!

MOPAR=:farting:

danbuc
06-19-07, 05:29 PM
Just goes to show you, SRTs on a race track are U-n-a-c-c-e-p-t-a-b-l-e!

MOPAR=:farting:

HAHA...YES. THat thing is a death trap at the strip if you lay into it anywhere before 3/4 down the track. Some Lightning's on the other hand were running pretty good numbers that night....mid 12's

T_Dogg8
06-19-07, 05:40 PM
from what i know about that show, is the burnout is the big draw. i saw it on TV a few years ago. so those people were standing there to see it and knew it was going to happen. so you can't say they were standing there watching a parade and got hit. they knew. second, from what i heard the driver was trying to put on more of a show with a 'john force style' burnout and went much farther and longer than anyone else ever had. i guess they do protect the spectators more closer to where the burnout starts, but the driver just burned out past the safety area. i hate to say it, but i would have been in the front row, but it would have been my choice and i would have known the risks. the event should have taken more precautions, the driver should have been safer, and the spectators should have been smarter. all in all, everyone screwed up.

and for everyone saying funny cars shouldn't be on a street, it's not like he was driving down main street in traffic. it was an exhibition and was realtively safe. however, and obviously, when you have that kind of horsepower things can go very wrong very quickly.

powerglide
06-19-07, 05:59 PM
Woa! That's really dumb...how could they run a machine so friggin fast so close to poeple like that....good lord thats fast!

Spyder
06-19-07, 06:24 PM
D'ya all notice how it WAS a burnout the whole time? He wasn't going for a speed run there. It was all burnout. There was no attempt at a quarter or even an eight mile run there. That was just a burnout. Things can go wrong. No different than if someone was doing it in their blown '69 Camaro and threw an axle.

codewize
06-20-07, 09:43 AM
Ok well there seems to be one thing no one mentioned. They're racing a top fuel funny car on a state hi-way. Probably unprepared for racing. The car owner or the driver should have never agreed to make that pass.

Aside from the lack of prep don't they realize that public roads have a crown in them and a race track is flat?

What the hell are they thinking.

Did they really think that was safe to begin with? That's not a tragedy that's stupidity. A 69 Camaro was designed to drive on the road. That Funny cars was purpose built to go in a straight line on a flat surface. Definitely NOT the same.