: SRX HID Question

Snow Thrower
06-17-07, 05:21 PM
I just bought an 04 without HIDS. I have been kinda looking around here and it seems the best way is to get HIDS is to just put in aftermarket ones. My question is what aftermarket HIDS are the best? I don't want to buy some garbage off of ebay.

TIA!

:jedi:

Playdrv4me
06-17-07, 08:49 PM
This wont be the first time Ive said this and certainly not the last... Do *not* use those aftermarket kits. To begin with, few that Ive EVER seen have ever looked authentic, you can ALWAYS tell an aftermarket kit from a factory one... Mainly because the way the lens is designed and the reflective surface behind it are completely different between a HID and a non HID car.

Finally, it just plain sucks for everyone else driving TOWARD you. The beam dispersement pattern of a non-HID headlight is substantially different from that of a HID unit and scatters light *EVERYWHERE*. As a result, you end up blinding oncoming traffic and just pissing everyone off, making it a safety hazard as well. The aftermarket kits CLEARLY state that they are for offroad use only for this very reason... DOT has banned the use of these kits for standard use.

The SRX's are new enough still that the FACTORY Xenon assemblies are STILL readily available on Ebay for just a nominal cost, which is still hundreds less than what the dealer would charge. This is a very common upgrade for the CTS and STS guys as well and it doesnt take much work.

Snow Thrower
06-17-07, 09:26 PM
Hmmm ok, With the SRX headlight assembly is everything i need for the HID attached to the actual housing or is the ballast box seperate? I saw a couple on ebay, but i'm not sure how its laid out and i have never seen a HID SRX headlight assembly upclose to know what to look for. After that is it pretty much play and plug or are there a few modifications?

Snow Thrower
06-17-07, 09:30 PM
i found one. This one has a broken tab on it, but could i strip down that lens and put it on mine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cadillac-SRX-left-headlamp-HID-2007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ017QQite mZ270133297716QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 02:39 AM
Yup, unless the seller has scoured parts off the headlight (and it should be clearly listed if anythings missing), all the parts you need should be right there. Most of the sellers will happily answer any questions you have and the better ones specifically list that all the parts are there.

The assembly itself should bolt right into your stock location, where you will need to pull the handyman cap out is when it comes to the wiring. You can build yourself a little quick disconnect between the factory harness and HID harness, or even splice right in (its just a 12v source) if your not planning to take the HIDs out later (they will most certainly add a little to your resale by the way). If you decide to go this route, you might want to cruise on over to the CTS forum and ask them how theyve done it, I know at least a few guys over there have put the factory assemblies into their cars.

Alot of people will tell you to just save yourself the trouble and go aftermarket, but I simply dont believe you will be satisfied with it. On top of that, the aftermarket kits are flakey at best. Some work well, others dont... good luck finding out which is "the best". They all come out of asia primarily anyway.

Snow Thrower
06-18-07, 10:25 AM
I would rather go stock thats for sure. If i can pick up HID headlights for $100 with everything on them and strip those and put them on mine. It shouldn't be too hard. I think the hardest part may be the wiring. Thanks for the help!

Snow Thrower
06-18-07, 12:09 PM
ok after looking on the CTS forum, i found that there is a ground pin missing in the connector. That is the only difference from HID and non hid headlight hook up. That was for the CTS. Does anyone know if that is true for the SRX as well?

Playdrv4me
06-18-07, 12:15 PM
i found one. This one has a broken tab on it, but could i strip down that lens and put it on mine?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/cadillac-SRX-left-headlamp-HID-2007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33710QQihZ017QQite mZ270133297716QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

No need to strip it... If its a critical tab, just get a little epoxy and fab up a little replacement for the tab. In most cases one tab being broke wont cause any problems at all depending on the vehicle.

Looks like that one has everything needed as well.

Snow Thrower
06-28-07, 11:59 PM
Well i picked up one headlight starting to bid on another one. I'm hoping to have them in within the next couple of weeks. Any pointers or shortcuts on changing the headlights?

Snow Thrower
06-30-07, 01:47 AM
anyone?

Snow Thrower
08-03-07, 08:51 PM
Well i got the factory HIDs installed looks awesome! The only problem from the HIDs to the halogen lights is that there is another ground wire pinned into the headlight connection. Well that extra ground controls the high beams i'm guessing, becuase they don't work. I have an idea on how to get around the extra ground wire not being pinned in the factory harness. After i do this i will have to align the headlights better and it will be all set. So far so good. I will keep you posted.

b4z
08-04-07, 11:19 AM
Keep us posted. I would be interested in doing this as well.
What is your total outlay in $ and time so far?

Snow Thrower
08-04-07, 01:17 PM
Everything is in and in working order. All i didn't is connect the 5th pin ground wire to the 4th pin ground wire. I just spilced the wires in the headlight housing before it got to the male pins. This was actually really easy. All in all i have spent under $300 and maybe 2 hours of my time total, but i could do it a lot faster now. The hardest part is taking out and puting in the headlights. Whomever designed that should be shot. The only thing left is to adjust the headlights to proper height and i'm done with it. I highly recommend doing this.

Snow Thrower
08-04-07, 01:27 PM
Keep us posted. I would be interested in doing this as well.
What is your total outlay in $ and time so far?

I would go on ebay and find some hid headlights. I payed under $140 for each one. Best part is that you can turn around and sell your halogens for like $50 each. :thumbsup: After you get the headlights it should only take you about an hour or so to take out the old ones, rig up the new ones and put them in. Have any questions ask away.